holy SHIT !!!

Steve Connally

Its probably because you're good but I'll say it. Man you got really really lucky. What did you learn from this? What do you wish you had done different? What will you do different in the future?

I often wonder about this. Some of my areas are very old and have crazy things like wooden water mains and old oil tanks underground. Other than the customer telling you, what can you do to prevent it?

pctree

Good question. I really don't know. The tank was at least 2' deep, maybe a probe but then you might be just hitting rocks? I really don't know. This was a disused tank so that was lucky, just have to pay to fill it. I can't believe the crane didn't go over. As stated I boomed and cabled down as quick as I could , the butt was on the ground and I was still going over, when all the log was down it stopped. I always thought that the momentum of the stick would take you over.....

Stephen Moore

Lucky home owner! The crane would have pummeled the house! As would the log if I’m seeing this right? Nice job with the emergency reaction. Obviously things like this can’t be forecasted, did you pre weight the pad with no sinkage? Might not have made any difference? The tree weight probably combined with lever force was needed to break through. I hope the client will respect this is not your fault.

Steve Connally

Are you paying to fill it? Thats a load of crap. My hold harmless puts that kind of stuff on the customer. They are always responsible for marking or identification of all underground systems. If I crush a sprinkler head or a well cap and it wasn't marked I'm not paying for it. Went down that road many many years ago and I ate a very large bill when I shouldn't have.

Stephen Moore

Are you paying to fill it? Thats a load of crap. My hold harmless puts that kind of stuff on the customer. They are always responsible for marking or identification of all underground systems. If I crush a sprinkler head or a well cap and it wasn't marked I'm not paying for it. Went down that road many many years ago and I ate a very large bill when I shouldn't have.
Like Steve said, you should be the one looking to be compensated for the lost pads and extra time to deal with machine recovery and a log that was not placed where it was supposed to be due to circumstances that were not in your control.

Stephen Moore

He’s probably great with it if you are fixing that! You could have been killed! That’s bullshit! He’s liable for that.

Stephen Moore

Mr nice guy goes out the window with non disclosure resulting in my equipment falling into a pile of someone’s shit! And me almost losing my livelihood because of it. Think of the potential cost to recover you crane had it overturned?

Steve Connally

I prefer to be covered at all times for everything under the sun in writing. Many of the people I work for have a history of charging the employee for broken stuff (illegal pretty much everywhere) I do my very best to prevent any blame being placed on me and the financial burden coming out of my bottom line. I do eat my mistakes without argument every time however things beyond my control will not come out of my pay. I have already lost one customer over it even after I gave them a large financial break on the job. The damages were about $300 and I ate about $600 on the job. I felt like I was being taken advantage of on time and let him know it. He was one of the several reasons I stopped having a half day and full day rates and went to straight hourly with travel and a 4 hour minimum. I also got burned on cc processing fees so I no longer eat that cost either. It's unfortunate a mans handshake isn't considered as anything anymore. I guess all i'm saying is to protect yourself at all costs. I can't imagine the impact short term and long term if that boom had gone through the house. I don't have to spell out the litany of issues, lawsuits, lost income, and damage to PCTree's reputation. Gotta be protected for that stuff. You've got a bunch of special people counting on income to survive. Just my 2 cents

ATH

I'd be tempted to fill it myself too...just good customer relations. However, if the crane went over and set on the log on the house, that would be on them for nondisclosure. So......my concern with filling this on is does that set a precedent that you accept liability for somebody else's neglect??? If the same thing happened at the neighbor but goes south, and he catches wind you paid for it before does that give him a stronger case? I don't know but with the crazy litigious world we live in, that would be my worry - that today's generosity bites me in the butt tomorrow.

From a liability standpoint, if the property owner didn't have knowledge of that old tank, would their insurance pay for house damages or would they come back on your ins.???? Again, I don't know. Just asking.