Holy cow!

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
The other day I was removing some trees by the street that had a guy line anchored to one of the trees. When I pulled a vine-covered branch off of the guy line, I was amazed to see how much the pole started to shake and sway! I looked a little closer and here's why!

Attachments

NickfromWI

One thing I remember about driving around NJ was there were a few telephone poles that were severely cracked, yet tied together with some shoddily-knotted 1/2 polypro 3 strand or some other equivalenty ineffective rope/knot combination.

I guess in a sense the whole system can hold itself up if there's a few weak links here and there, but if they're gonna fix it, fix it right!

In the mean time, Mark you better head back with some rope to knot that thing up!

love
nick

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Nick, you silly splicer, those poles that are strapped (most times) are temp fixes. What happens is a car hits a pole and snaps it. The power co. has to get the power up and make things safe fast. They only do their property. They move their wires to a new pole and then top the old one down to the phone lines. They'll wrap some rope around the remaining pole to the new one (or on it's self) and say "we're done". They'll let that pole sit there for a year waiting for the telephone and cable crews to finish the job.

BUK

"They'll let that pole sit there for a year waiting for the telephone and cable crews to finish the job."
Around here the old pole will rot off before they come and switch it over. Isn't that right Kevin /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kevin

No, the problem here is the GLP forestry crew lets them get grown in and we lose them in the trees.

BUK

Bell should be paying us for those "support" trees. They are the only thing keeping the line in the air. /forum/images/graemlins/grinyes.gif

Kevin

When are you coming back to the Esso for the mid day social?
It's my turn to buy.