Hitch size matters!!??

They say sizes matters,but it’s all about the swivel.

I’d like to shorten things up a bit more on my mechanicals, maybe use an oval or delta link in place of shackles/biners.

Any thoughts or if you guys/girls care to show what you’re flying that would be great.
Thanks
DB

Attachments

Is that the Diy Rope Wrench i keep hearing about?

I think some of these lengths may be inevitable, but i bought a Swiva-eye for my bridge to try & shorten things up. I've had a few other ideas before & after that but i can't think of them at the moment.
would i use this with my ZZ like in the picture, I could, but it's two swivels inline, I'd probably use a small ring if i was looking for shortest connection.

I like the California Swivel from SMC too, mostly for it's connecting points, but i don't own one & i do not think it's shorter than a micro swivel.. i may be wrong though.

This is all assuming your trying to keep a swivel action. There are shorter options if you don't have to have one... Like.. this SMC Ring & this tiny Metolious Screw gate i recently bought, the thing is tiny (24kn).
Yes pic is technically setup upside down but it's still giving relative length comparison.

However, there are a ton of swivels out there that are pretty compact in length & bigger on one side for multiple connections.

The lockjack with the glide pulley wrench looks so compact!
You using that setup regularly @danimal3 ?
I got an old LJ sport that hasn't been used in years, I might play w that set up a bit on the ground.

I got an old LJ sport that hasn't been used in years, I might play w that set up a bit on the ground.

Wow.. that is short huh? Not that there used for the same purpose but just for reference ... a ISC swiveling rope snap is 7-3/4 long by itself.. I just bought a wrench this past week.. maybe i should have tried the pulley dealio first..

Hey Danimal.. how bout showing a few pics of what you got going on with your Uni.. show me yours I'll show you mine..lol..

Last edited:
I’m loving it maybe more than the AKIMBO it’s so nice being able to release the hitch from below the device...I’ve been releasing the hitch in two ways. One is by grabbing the ball on the tether and the tail of rope at the same time-this allows controlled decent with the friction from the rope right in the palm of your hand and the cam opening with wooden ball. The second is becoming my most peffered way to descend breaking friction with the metal tube that’s holding the tether into the device. It’s like breaking the bird on the runner but it’s below the device,it’s so nice! I am a big fan of the ART positioners. Ive been rocking two for years on a 22 foot-two way lanyard ( using these in an SRT configuration many times)
This device feels very similar and the function works well with my muscle memory. The Lu-Jack as I’m calling it is a very fun tool tho I think it could use some improvement. I’d like to reduce more of The friction the device is taking, I’m paying very close attention to the ware spots on the cam and side cheeks.
I hope this answers your question.

Wow.. that is short huh? Not that there used for the same purpose but just for reference ... a ISC swiveling rope snap is 7-3/4 long by itself.. I just bought a wrench this past week.. maybe i should have tried the pulley dealio first..

Hey Danimal.. how bout showing a few pics of what you got going on with your Uni.. show me yours I'll show you mine..lol..
Stand by sir

Attachments

Mowerr

Is that the Diy Rope Wrench i keep hearing about?

I think some of these lengths may be inevitable, but i bought a Swiva-eye for my bridge to try & shorten things up. I've had a few other ideas before & after that but i can't think of them at the moment.
would i use this with my ZZ like in the picture, I could, but it's two swivels inline, I'd probably use a small ring if i was looking for shortest connection.

I like the California Swivel from SMC too, mostly for it's connecting points, but i don't own one & i do not think it's shorter than a micro swivel.. i may be wrong though.

This is all assuming your trying to keep a swivel action. There are shorter options if you don't have to have one... Like.. this SMC Ring & this tiny Metolious Screw gate i recently bought, the thing is tiny (24kn).
Yes pic is technically setup upside down but it's still giving relative length comparison.

However, there are a ton of swivels out there that are pretty compact in length & bigger on one side for multiple connections.
The petzl spirit screw link biner is really small and one of the lightest if not the lightest biner on the market. Petzls screw link gates are the best screw gates imho. So smooth and can close with a little flick of ur finger, as well as having that red paint under the gate to indicate its open

The petzl spirit screw link biner is really small and one of the lightest if not the lightest biner on the market. Petzls screw link gates are the best screw gates imho. So smooth and can close with a little flick of ur finger, as well as having that red paint under the gate to indicate its open
Idk if it's the smallest but it's definitely pretty dang small.. at the time i purchased this little Metolious one, there was a Spirit sitting next to it on the rack at REI.. My intent was to grab some small biners & hopefully catch a sale (last time I was there i was paying 4 bucks a peice for the Metolious screw locks).. Regardless, I can't recall which was smaller, but I left with the Metolious for a reason.. I want to say either because it was smaller or the spirit may have been a wire gate model.

I wish i could get an oval that small..

Been digging the Magnetron's latley, but i can't seem to get a good side by side comparison of vaporlock, which is there smallest of them.

Haaaa! Pretty cool dude! Pretty Cool..! I been going back & forth talking with this guy who did something that looks very very similar.. I haven't had the time to really dive into the fabrication end of it on mine, but it looks as if your way, cut out, a few of the steps that i know were going to be a trial & error process..

Im gunna go watch your video now..

Ahhhhhh IC.. i should have watched it before responding..lol. So it's a kit? Is that wire capture part tacked/welded onto the base of that threaded hollow shaft? Or is it run through it & secured somehow? I'll will say, it's a bit more finished looking than the approach i was going to try.

Last edited:
Oh nice! Perfect! I spent a good amount of time last night trying to find a close up of that joint.

Is it brazed or some sort of solder joint? Although i wish I was, I'm not all that versed in welding. Im not even sure if you can do either to stainless, but i was just wondering.. (I thought i heard matthys reference that part as the "stainless rope keeper" hence, my question).

I got a few questions about the installation of it, you can PM me if you don't want to derail the thread, but it's yours to do so if you want to.

When you installed, was there any consideration on where to drill your hole or did you just go as far out as you could because that's what matthy's looked like in the video? I ask as I've been stumped as to where i should put mine after hearing others saying that placement is critical. What i heard was, If too far out, its hard to manipulate.. If too far in it will interfere with the bottom link compressing all the way.. In other words there's a sweet spot you want to hit & it's all within a very small/short area.. This is just what I've heard anyways, but it was from someone who i thought was the one who came up with the bearing idea to begin with.. Regardless.. i been wondering where that spot is & its the reason i haven't followed through with anything yet, as I don't want to drill till I'm sure.

I tried the glide pulley, but found the attachment hole to be especially temperamental and didn't jamb on only 1 carabineer (I've got dozens of varieties)... Then realized the CMI sliding side plate pulley could be made up the same way. Works way better with a variety of carabineers... Which lead me to want to find something longer, and the petzl open hook was the longest I could find in my gear bag. There is some interference with the top of the zigzag and I need to get out and climb on it to see how bad it is

I tried the glide pulley, but found the attachment hole to be especially temperamental and didn't jamb on only 1 carabineer (I've got dozens of varieties)... Then realized the CMI sliding side plate pulley could be made up the same way. Works way better with a variety of carabineers... Which lead me to want to find something longer, and the petzl open hook was the longest I could find in my gear bag. There is some interference with the top of the zigzag and I need to get out and climb on it to see how bad it is
That thing is radical! With that beat up pulley it’s got that Mad Max kind of sexy going.
Thanks for sharing I hope it works out well for you!

I was thinking you could get a couple gold side plates and it would all match. Assuming it works of course
What else are you using that Petzl Open for? I think those things are so versitile.. Im not sure I'll ever buy another rope snap without that design.. I know there's allot of ppl who dislike Petzl business motto & products, but idk why more companies don't take that open approach. It really can't be all that hard to incorporate into a product.