Hitch Hiker Reviews

DSMc

^^ does the singing tree quickie fit an unmodified HH2? The video above doesn't show a ST quickie but what it does show requires physical modifications to the HH including drilling and grinding.
Honestly, I don't think having a shackle in place of the carabiner is worth the effort. The simplicity and ease of use of the carabiner far out ways any perceived shortcomings.

Jehinten

I know I tried a few small modifications, and contemplated switching to the rope wrench before getting the hitchhiker dialed in. All of a sudden it just clicked and is super smooth now. I'm using the original oxane carabiner and no tending attachment. I clip my chest harness into my RE rook on the bridge and it follows me up the rope. When I finish my ascent I do push the HH2 up the rope to eliminate sitback since I don't tend the HH2 directly. Just keep working the hitch cord and try different combinations. I've mentioned it before but I'm using 9.3 Arbpro with 4 wraps on vortex, I am also a bigger guy at 260lbs so you may need to alter the wraps to best fit your needs.

I also have to say thanks to @DSMc for helping me find this combination. I have read thread after thread and consistently saw where he recommended this rope and hitch combo. At times the original 10mm beeline that I was using before would bind so tight I could barely take in slack after a limb walk. The Arbpro is super smooth, it makes the HH2 much more fun to climb with.

edit: corrected the name of hitch cord that I use

Last edited:

Jehinten

Who sells the 9.3mm Armor Prus?
I had bought it from treestuff, although it looks like they along with many others no longer carry it. I have contacted the manufacturer to see if they still make it, and where to get it. Luckily mine is wearing very well and not showing any age, but I will likely still buy a bulk amount if I find it is still available. Maybe @bonner1040 has some information on availability?

Brocky

Thanks Jehinten, I guess I haven't been keeping current on hitch cords, I didn't know there was a 9.3mm. I thought you might have meant the 9.3 Epicord. It's surprising they would discontinue it in that diameter of cord, which seems to be very popular.

Just saw that Wesspur has a new 9 mm bailout on their site.

DSMc

To clarify, the hitch cord I have been using and like is ArbPro 9.3mm. Armor Prus only comes in 10mm and 8mm as far as I know and both work well. Used to get it at Tree Stuff but as Jehinten they no longer carry it.

Jehinten

my mistake, I looked at my order history and it is in fact Arbpro 9.3, which explains why I am having such a hard time finding it at any suppliers :muyenojado:

I hope I did not lead anyone astray with my previous post, and just to clarify, Arbpro 9.3 is a great hitch cord

Brocky

You're close, rope! That configuration probably will only work for a short while, until you've cycled it up and down a few times, then the tails will get longer and the wraps will start to bind more, until they almost lock up. You need to keep the ratcheting action trapped by a knot of some kind.
I tried using a split bolt electrical connector on the bottom back braid, but that didn't work either, the cord would slip through with use.
I didn' want to over tighten the bolt on the cord, doesn't seem advisable to squeeze it too hard and distort it.
If you go with a knot, the screw link won't be long enough to let the knot spread out and form a bend in the rope.
I'm glad someone is trying it. Thanks!