Hitch Hiker Reviews

Brocky

I climb on the 9mm HTP regularly, and you're right about the hitch cord diameter. I first used the Sterling 7mm accessory cord and that works great. A 6mm cord seems to grab more, and with the smaller diameter, it's hard to grip to push it down to descend.

I don't know how the HH will work with that small of a diameter. It might bottom out before pinching the rope enough.

Brocky

I use a hitch called the Oval VT, which is four wraps with a braid in the front. An overhand knot is then tied with the tails behind the rope, and an oval carabiner, or if the rope and hitch cord are small enough, a large ring, is placed between the front braid and the rope. The eyes come out to the front through the carabiner, or ring.

Below is a 9mm lanyard with about a 6.5 mm hitch cord. On my climb line I use a steel oval carabiner instead of the ring.

Cinch Samaritans are what I call the wooden hitch helpers.
IMG_1772.JPG

Now that I've been climbing with my HH for a couple months now I gota say I'm nothing short of impressed. Using it SRT for sparwork is a dream, being able to climb drt/srt at will is such a game changer. I'm using vortex with ocean 10mm and it's working awesome. I can't see ever needing anything else for the type of climbing I do.

Hey guys, what's the smallest Ø rope the HH will run on?

Just got back from my first tree-camping outting with the HH and, well, let's just say the site access was MUCH more challenging than I was expecting and rope weight is now a larger concern of mine...

I'll only be using this for specialized remote-location recreation climbing so it doesn't have to run as smoothly as the 11.7mm and 1/2" lines I use already but I was hoping maybe I could run some 9 or 10mm kernmantle rope? I'd really like to hear if 9mm HTP would work, maybe with 6-7mm cord?

I've actually been running 11 mm velocity with 8mm beeline and 9mm RIT and found the HH2 doesn't run as well with the narrower rope. Tried various hitches. So my theory is that the larger diameter ropes generate more friction and make for a better functioning SRT device. I was just going to post on here and ask if anybody had a similar experience. I think you may be able to find a better SRT device if really narrow ropes are a must.

DSMc

For the most part, large diameter ropes with their proportionally larger contact patch will have a smoother entry and exit of the workable friction zone. They will have less of the on-off feel when in use. Depending on the feel you are trying to achieve will determine whether thick or thin is better for your use.

For what I like, the HH, when paired with 12.7 Vortex, works great.

Now that I've been climbing with my HH for a couple months now I gota say I'm nothing short of impressed. Using it SRT for sparwork is a dream, being able to climb drt/srt at will is such a game changer. I'm using vortex with ocean 10mm and it's working awesome. I can't see ever needing anything else for the type of climbing I do.
Yeah, Vortex and Ocean 10mm has a great feel, I just hate how quick ocean wears out.

I use a hitch called the Oval VT, which is four wraps with a braid in the front. An overhand knot is then tied with the tails behind the rope, and an oval carabiner, or if the rope and hitch cord are small enough, a large ring, is placed between the front braid and the rope. The eyes come out to the front through the carabiner, or ring.

Below is a 9mm lanyard with about a 6.5 mm hitch cord. On my climb line I use a steel oval carabiner instead of the ring.

Cinch Samaritans are what I call the wooden hitch helpers.
View attachment 51582
That is really neat, thanks for sharing!

rope-a-dope

So hitchhikerx is the name of a video yoyoman produced where he put a singing tree quickie in the bottom of a HH instead of a steel biner. I dont think there is a new version beyond the HH2.

^^ does the singing tree quickie fit an unmodified HH2? The video above doesn't show a ST quickie but what it does show requires physical modifications to the HH including drilling and grinding.