Hitch Hiker in Comps

Discussion in 'Rules and Regs' started by bonner1040, Feb 18, 2013.

1. bonner1040

bonner1040 Well-Known Member

Will the Hitch Hiker and its associated SRWP be allowed in TCC's this year?

2. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

I don't know for sure, Nick so take it with a grain of salt...I just want to be in on any news just like you (and many others, I'm sure).

From what I understand, SRWP as a concept will be addressed, and potentially allowed (POTENTIALLY). If SRWP is accepted, then provisions would be put in place and a climber's system would need to comply and pass gear inspection.

...and potentially...if the HH passed the criteria, it would be allowed. I'm not too sure that individual parts are specifically allowed or not.

Also, (from what I hear) each Chapter can set its' own rules based on the ITCC Rule Book, but the rules and gear inspection at an ITCC are adhered to in a much more stringent manner.

3. rich_h

rich_h Well-Known Member

Hey Eric,

You might want to talk with a few of the Kentucky climbers about that last bit on Chapters setting their own rules....

We damn near got sanctioned as a Chapter this year and had our Rep to ITCC disqualified due tot the fact that the KY Chapter allowed SRWP.....that is until wiser (and I do mean FAR FREAKING WISER) heads prevailed.

***** for the record KY DID NOT use ISA insurance for this comp, which to date has been the one guideline in place forcing Chapters to abide by the ITCC rule book *****

I'm sure the KY Rep could give you more details if you asked him....

4. rich_h

rich_h Well-Known Member

I will be REALLY interested to see what the criteria will be for allowing certain SRWP tools over others....

5. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

Like I said, Rich..."I heard"...I was unsure about even writing that in the post.

I'll just go ahead and insert my foot... [​IMG]

Well, the 'Wrenchin' video' shows a gentleman holding up little red book and making a certain statement...

I'm just hoping for wider acceptance of SRWP, that's all. I'm not about specific gear or anything, just the concept as a whole. [​IMG]

6. rich_h

rich_h Well-Known Member

We both want the same thing Eric ! Wider SRWP acceptance in its many and varied forms coupled with the already accepted Doubled Rope Techniques would make for a far safer and happier world !!

7. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    We both want the same thing Eric ! Wider SRWP acceptance in its many and varied forms coupled with the already accepted Doubled Rope Techniques would make for a far safer and happier world !!

[/ QUOTE ]

x2!

I'll be trying to keep up with this while I'm working today. I'm curious about the issues you all experienced after the K-Comp...was the "news" put out in a thread here or published anywhere else? (I haven't spent much time in the comp threads here) I'd like to understand what transpired through that process...not to pry, just to understand.

8. Tr33Climb3r

Tr33Climb3r Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

x2!

[/ QUOTE ]

x3

Rope Wrench Mania!

9. Jeremy9

Jeremy9 Member

In Kentucky, was it SRWP or the method that SRWP was used? I know at last years ITCC you could use SRWP if you used the rig, but not any other tool.

10. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

In order to be equitable the criteria for a climbing system shouldn't be any different for SRT or DdRT..or whatever comes down the pike.

Will every hitch/cord/rope combination have to pass the same criteria as any of the varied SRT tools?

11. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    In Kentucky, was it SRWP or the method that SRWP was used? I know at last years ITCC you could use SRWP if you used the rig, but not any other tool.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know what the rule was for basal anchor or base-tie?

12. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    In order to be equitable the criteria for a climbing system shouldn't be any different for SRT or DdRT..or whatever comes down the pike.

Will every hitch/cord/rope combination have to pass the same criteria as any of the varied SRT tools?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good point. Essentially, DdRT climbing is still relying on a single hitch for life support, and the climber is still using a single piece of rope.

13. Tom Dunlap

Tom Dunlap Administrator

If I showed up to compete using DdRT and a Unicender, or another, would I be able to compete?

14. oceans

oceans Well-Known Member

[ QUOTE ]
    If I showed up to compete using DdRT and a Unicender, or another, would I be able to compete?

[/ QUOTE ]

Or climbing in DdRT with a Rope Wrench above the hitch?

15. banjo

banjo Active Member

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Cormac Nagan did it at the 2012 ITCC during AR so I'd say yes.

16. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Tony

17. bonner1040

My understanding is that the RW has not been allowed do to the grey area in regards to it being life support.

The Hitch Hiker however was tested by Yale in various configurations and setups set forth by the ISA. It has a listed MBS of 40kn, and is designed and sold as a piece of dedicated SRWP life support equipment.

Are there specific provisions against base ties? Or using a single line in general? I read that the issue is equipment oriented. The Petzl ID is allowed yes? Because it was designed/tested/produced for SRWP, isnt the HH in the same boat?

18. banjo

banjo Active Member

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

Tony

[/ QUOTE ]

In the case of the AR application it was so both climber and "victim" could be lowered on the climbers system.

19. banjo

banjo Active Member

There are some base tie limitations, for example the gri gri is no longer acceptable.

20. bonner1040

But a running bowline with a yosemete and double fishermans backup?