HHx Hitch Hiker x

Barc Buster

That looks pretty awesome, and I like the break strength. It'll be interesting to see how the aluminum body holds up to the steel dog bone and shackle/slick pin long term.

yoyoman

That looks pretty awesome, and I like the break strength. It'll be interesting to see how the aluminum body holds up to the steel dog bone and shackle/slick pin long term.
The dogbone is aluminum, the stainless steel Slic Pin mates to a flat surface on the aluminum body. Again, it looks like the original HH's but very different. If you put an aluminum biner next to the narrow and sharp edges of the hardened body of the HH it will not last long, thus the steel biner. If you put a Slic Pin shackle in a HH1 or HH2 it hangs up on the edges and is very difficult to release. Taking out the Slic pin on the HHx it is a couple easy pushes and a twist.

Great work on the new device! I was considering buying an HH2 this year but planning to get one of these instead. Pretty much just being a rec climber these days the weight savings alone would be nice. Even though I'm not in the industry any more, all the equipment innovations in Arboriculture these days is really exciting to watch!

Glad to see that video on the destructive testing. Interesting. I'd like to see that kind of testing on a lot of these climbing devices and hardware...

(The audio level at beginning of video almost did some destructive testing of my speakers...how do you get the audio volume to 11 when my speakers are only on 4???) :eek:

@yoyoman Looking at the HHx, I saw the note that you 'strongly recommend the SwivaEye" but offer an option with a small ring. I have a DMM Focus swivel on my bridge (bridge through the large removable shackle, climbing system connected to the small green swivel). This looks like it has an even smaller ID than either the SwivaEye or the small ring -- Is there any reason it wouldn't be recommended to just connect the HHx shackle directly to the Focus swivel? (I think that's what's being covered in this video, but wanted to double check that I wasn't missing anything.) Just seems like a good way to keep everything very compact.

I don't know about HH2
"Weighs (Hitch Hiker 2 only) : 9.6oz (275 g) Weighs (with Carabiner & Cord) : 1.2 lb (545 g)"
... according to Wesspur

The (9.6oz) HHX, with the tree quickie is lighter than the HH2, but then there's also the optional swivel/snap, or a swivel/biner, or ring/biner. The HH2 uses just the steel biner, so we're not really comparing apples to apples unless you compare the whole shebang, all the way down to the rope bridge's ring or swivel.

Last edited: