Hey Treehousers

pctree

Just wanted to let you guys know that Butch started deleting my posts over at the house. I put up a thread saying goodbye so nobody would worry about my absence but he deleted that too.

Oh well I need to spend less time online but wanted to get the word out that I'm ok

Brocky

My guess would be that the sponsor was being criticized. I experienced censorship trying to start a thread about hand sewing eyes, which was froze, then deleted due to being pressured to do so.
I don't visit there much either, most of the activity seems to be on things other then tree climbing and work.

treegongfu

Pctree, I have great admiration for your ingenuity and contribution to tree work. I also notice your immense generosity in sharing your time and knowledge with other tree workers.

I also like the honesty and principled stance of your comments and the audacity you display in taking on challenges.

I hope you continue to find the time to post on this forum.

Gavin

SeanRuel

Too bad Paul. I always enjoyed reading your posts on the house, even the Sherrill slamming ones. I wonder how much Sherrill is paying to sponsor the forum?

TimBr

My guess would be that the sponsor was being criticized. I experienced censorship trying to start a thread about hand sewing eyes, which was froze, then deleted due to being pressured to do so.
I don't visit there much either, most of the activity seems to be on things other then tree climbing and work.
Hey, Brocky! What would be your guess as to why a thread on hand sewing eyes in rope would come to be frozen and then deleted? You say it was due to being "pressured" to do so. Did Butch actually admit that being pressured was the reason? Or is this something you are deducing must have happened?

Do you think this deletion is because the sewn eyes that get sold are a big profit center for the business, and they wish to discourage individual climbers from acquiring the skill to do so, and thereby deprive them of future earnings? It seems odd to me, if so, because plenty of folks learn how to make spliced eyes in rope, and those threads don't get eliminated.

This whole situation is very strange. Thanks for sharing your experiences, and for any answers you can provide to all of my speculative questions.

Tim

TimBr

Just wanted to let you guys know that Butch started deleting my posts over at the house. I put up a thread saying goodbye so nobody would worry about my absence but he deleted that too.

Oh well I need to spend less time online but wanted to get the word out that I'm ok
Hey, Paul! Thanks for reaching out, and thanks to the admins here for making it possible for you to do so. I'm a guy who thought he had privileges over there to read anything that was posted on that forum. I actually saw your "goodbye" thread title pop up, and tried to click on it to read it, but got a screen that told me I was trying to read a page on the forum that I did not have the privilege to read, and that I should contact the administrator.

So, thanks for the explanation. It would seem funny to me (not funny ha ha) if he completely banned you from that forum without a word to the rest of the membership. Your contributions to the trade are such that I think you deserve at least that much respect.

In my opinion, he should just let you vent whenever you feel like it, and ask the sponsor to get a thicker skin. Much of the time in life, if someone has a complaint about something, they are not the only ones who feel that way. They are just the ones that feel like taking the time to talk about it. If the business or individual takes the time to listen to the complaints, and to address them, they might find out that they end up improving themselves and acquiring more friends and customers.

Censorship seems like a quick way to kill a forum in which allowing people to communicate freely is supposed to be a primary purpose. I hope that sentence made sense.

Thanks again for informing us of these events, and please post here often if you find you can no longer post over there.

Tim

Brocky

Hi Tim, Butch told me he was being pressured to do it. If you go back and read the thread here, it went the same way at the House, and you can easily deduce who the person protesting was. I felt sorry for Butch, for being placed in that situation by his sole sponsor. I've wondered if the administrators here were approached also, to try to stop the thread.

I don't know why he was so opposed to the hand sewing of eyes. With all the work and time to make one, at first I would have charged someone way more then the cost of the machine ones, I still would, so profit lose shouldn't have been an issue.

pctree

I have often been tempted to write down my very negative experience with Tobe and his crew but figured it would just be deleted. The worst thing they ever did imo was buy out TreeStuff. If I was working on a project I could call them up and get stuff for free to help out, custom splicing whatever. Luke truly promoted innovation.
I can't for the life of me understand why folks buy from such an oppressive business

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Before using the word 'censor' or any of its other forms be sure to understand the word. This is a civics lesson.

In the 17 years of Treebuzz's life I can only recall one time when a sponsor wrote to Mark and me about comments. The tone was the issue not the content. We had an offline email exchange and asked the contributor to not use TB as a dumping ground for frustration. If there's a problem with a vendor talk to them directly. Constantly sniping and ankle biting gets tiring.