Hey Look at My Crud...

JD3000

If it is, it's not a species I'm familiar with.

I thought oyster mushroom of some type, Pleurotus

KTSmith

Ha, ha, but what does the underside of the brackets look like? If the undersides lack pores, it's an easy call as Stereum ostrea. If tiny pores are present, first check Polyporus badius. Also, the presence or absence of tiny hairs on the upper surface of the brackets can help confirm.
If gills are present on the underside, I'm way off track, but could try to find my way back.

KTSmith

Ok, I guess I do see a bit of the underside of a bracket in the middle of the image. If that is so, start with Phyllotopsis nidulans. If the latter, the upper surfaces of the brackets need to be pretty hairy.

Ha, ha, but what does the underside of the brackets look like? If the undersides lack pores, it's an easy call as Stereum ostrea. If tiny pores are present, first check Polyporus badius. Also, the presence or absence of tiny hairs on the upper surface of the brackets can help confirm.
If gills are present on the underside, I'm way off track, but could try to find my way back.
See, I was gonna say the exact same thing. But then I thought no, you're just making up words (I spelled Stereum and Polyporus a little differently than KT did...) so I went with my gut and said Trametes.

KTSmith

My friends who are "real" mycologists think I'm crazy to offer ID from images people post, especially when the macro-defining characteristics are not in the image. No, in the most recent submission, I really didn't notice the gills at first. Still can't see the spacing or the attachment. What I'd hope folks would do is to take my suggestion as a starting place for consultation to a standard published reference and to bring all that to the fruiting body.
Welcome to folium arboris!

treemonkee58

I do see that the tree has been repeatedly wounded over a period of years. I need a sharper look at the brown patches on the lower bole. Is that what you were referring to as fungus? This photo does tell a lot, but not enough closeup detail for me.

Just back from the Maine Mycology club lecture that I mentioned earlier in this thread. It was way fun.
I’ll get some close ups when am back at that location. Thanks

Serf Life

20190318_125002.jpg20190318_125015.jpg
Both sides of some kind of insect overwintering structure on an apple. Is it an egg mass on a cocoon or just a weird structure with an egg mass? I prefer to leave stuff I can't ID but assume it is no bueno?

KTSmith

Egg mass of Fall cankerworm? I'm saying that because of the seemingly highly-ordered arrangement of white-ish eggs. I'll be the first to say I'm not a bug guy, but here's a straw man, just waiting to be struck down.