Hemlock Care

I've been treating hemlocks with pretty good success for the past 12 years, but I'm trying to make an honest effort to switch over my entire PHC business to 90-100% organic and sustainable treatments and programs. I'm in the beginning stages of doing 2 hort oil treatments a year on hemlocks. I'm curious if anyone else is trying similar treatments and what sort of results they're getting. What sort of timing as well? My regime so far has been early spring (March/April) and later summer-fall at a 2% rate. I may consider raising the rate to 3-4% as I have had zero phytotoxicity issues. Another option was to try Acelyprn (it's not organic, but it's about as low toxicity as you can get, plus there are no pollinator issues like with Merit or Safari). Has anyone else tried Acelypryn for Adelgid or anything else?

jed1124

2% March /April then a second at 2% in the fall. That will cover both crawler phases of adelgid. Elongated Hemlock Scale can be tough to control with oil. You can add Dinotefuran in your fall app to control it if need be. Neo nics won't be a concern on hemlock as it is not pollinated by bees. Using Dinotefuran in the fall will also limit off target insect mortality. No reason to go higher than 2% with the oil.

mrtree

You might want to look at the oil you are using. Different manufacturers have different weights of oils and thinner or thicker (i.e. the same as weights in motor oil) may make your applications more effective. I have found some thinner oils just do not seen as effective at 2% as at at 3%

jed1124

I use the ultra fine oil that site one sells. I think I pay around $625 for a 55 gallon drum. I'll go 2.5% on ocasion if weather permits i.e. not getting over 75 degrees during the day and no lower than 40 degrees at night.
I got burn 1 times years ago on a weeping larch. It got pretty warm that day and I was at 2%.

I use the ultra fine oil that site one sells. I think I pay around $625 for a 55 gallon drum. I'll go 2.5% on ocasion if weather permits i.e. not getting over 75 degrees during the day and no lower than 40 degrees at night.
I got burn 1 times years ago on a weeping larch. It got pretty warm that day and I was at 2%.

Thanks guys...I think I may have been impatient. I've seen done a follow up treatment on many of the trees and am now starting to see dead adelgid. I think I just needed to stick with it.

Djbinding

Purespray by Petrocanada. Stuff is a lil pricey but has very low sulfanated residue. That's what causes the burning(phytotoxicity).

I have a supplier if you need help

JD3000

Most well-known member
Last I looked at an Acelypryn label the listed pests controls was pretty sparse. Has it been expanded?
Low LD50s and low benificial arthropod impact so it would be great if we could reliably implement it for PHC.