Help me mod this MS460 Magnum!

downeytree

I picked up this nice ms460 last week as a project saw for $500 CDN. The compression test reading was 164psi, it cuts really well, and I’m ready to start modding it.

For starters, I’m going to order a dual-port muffler, and tune the carb. Should I just order a dual-port muffler cover, and gut/swiss cheese the baffle in the stock exhaust? Or order a full exhaust (for only $10-$15 more).

I’ve found plenty of threads on here and arborist site to tune the carb, and my tach (Stihl EDT 9) is in the mail.

I’ll post updates as I go!
F9124788-3DCB-4908-BF59-281F602BEFC0.jpeg733EB5B1-3C3E-4E79-927C-0C43E92F03D9.jpeg7007129A-0304-4FD7-AD6E-4914FFDE210F.jpeg

downeytree

Get the dual port muffler and learn to hand file square ground chain. Keep your gullets clean.
I’ve heard that square-tooth is the fastest, but lacks durability in holding the sharpen. I’m sure it’s subject to the operator and material being cut though. Do you use it on your every-day saw?

chiselbit

Max flow air filter makes a noticeable difference especially in conjunction with the dual port muffler. I run chisel chain on all my saws. Even Found some woodland pro (Carlton) for the top handles. It all stays sharp unless your cutting muddy trees or sticking the saw in the dirt in which case it’s not going to matter what kind of chain you have. There’s a good thread on ope regarding filing square ground,

downeytree

Well tomorrow is the stage one of giving this 460 Magnum some more bite, or supposed to be if my parts show up..

All I have coming so far, is a dual-port muffler cover, full wrap handle, new felling dogs, and a Stihl EDT-9 tach to tune the carb after the muffler mod (I'm also going to gut the inside of the stock exhaust). I've read lots of great posts here on how to tune the carb (have my drywall screws to remove the limiter caps and everything), but if someone has some tips, or can share any other sources to follow along with, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post some pics/videos

theatertech87

I usually tune my saw lean until it starts to stumble/break up then richen 1/4 turn and lightly tweak as needed. I like my saw running a bit in the fatter side anyways