HC/RW tending

I finally got a deal I couldn't refuse on a new DMM HC yesterday for $28, bringing a RW acquisition a little closer.

I see a lot of setups where the RW tether and hitch terminations share the middle or even bottom hole on the HC pulley.
What's your preferred method for making a hitch tending connection when rigged this way? I currently OTSHUT and it appears connecting to the HC might interfere with the tether or wear on it, given the angle of the tether straight up to the wrench end.

moss

I finally got a deal I couldn't refuse on a new DMM HC yesterday for $28, bringing a RW acquisition a little closer.

I see a lot of setups where the RW tether and hitch terminations share the middle or even bottom hole on the HC pulley.
What's your preferred method for making a hitch tending connection when rigged this way? I currently OTSHUT and it appears connecting to the HC might interfere with the tether or wear on it, given the angle of the tether straight up to the wrench end.
I’ve never experienced, seen, or heard of a conflict between a RW advancer (HUT) and a RW tether.
-AJ

rope-a-dope

I have seen little tending loops tied onto the tether before...I tend mine from the middle hole on the pulley, but I made a wrench tether that connects to the top pulley hole with a small shackle.

I think its about the overall RW compactness and using the bottom holes on the HitchClimber contribute to that end. Using a hitch knot that has minimal set back is also a factor. I prefer the Michocan personally and a DMM Rhino carabiner also keeps things well oriented.

TimBr

I use a double-eyed Rope Wrench tether, and the bottom hole of the Hitch Climber pulley for the tether eyes and the hitch cord, on the biner that goes to my saddle's rope bridge. The two legs of the tether are split by the pulley. The middle hole of the Hitch Climber pulley gets a biner of its own, which helps to hold the legs of the stiff tether in place. I'll clip a small accessory biner to that middle biner in the Hitch Climber pulley to tend the system.

I use a double-eyed Rope Wrench tether, and the bottom hole of the Hitch Climber pulley for the tether eyes and the hitch cord, on the biner that goes to my saddle's rope bridge. The two legs of the tether are split by the pulley. The middle hole of the Hitch Climber pulley gets a biner of its own, which helps to hold the legs of the stiff tether in place. I'll clip a small accessory biner to that middle biner in the Hitch Climber pulley to tend the system.
That makes sense. Gets the neck lanyard or other connection away from the tether and provides a smooth (biner) contact with the tether. Thanks.

I have seen little tending loops tied onto the tether before...I tend mine from the middle hole on the pulley, but I made a wrench tether that connects to the top pulley hole with a small shackle.
That's how I pictured setting it up. Leaves the bottom hole for a Haas. Just seen lots of photos of middle and bottom hole connections with no hitch tender or ascender in the mix. Thanks.

moss

Moss, what is your tending connectio/method and where is it attached?
I have an unusual setup so probably not helpful ;-) Tether is in the top hole, slic pin connector, bungee HUT connects to the middle hole, carabiner and hitch in the bottom hole.
-AJ

I have an unusual setup so probably not helpful ;-) Tether is in the top hole, slic pin connector, bungee HUT connects to the middle hole, carabiner and hitch in the bottom hole.
-AJ
No Haas or knee ascender connection, or to the saddle ring as Rico does?

Simple shit really. Hitch and wrench tether on bottom hole. Tending via middle hole. Haas connected to ring on saddle. Done.
My saddle has a soft D. I've tried the Haas there and since the Haas biner stays in the bottom of the D and doesn't advance like your ring does, it doesn't run well. Might be the angle being less in line too. It runs much better in the bottom hole of that piece I made to simulate a HC. That fabrication will disappear with arrival of the HC pulley.

Attachments

moss

No Haas or knee ascender connection, or to the saddle ring as Rico does?
I don't use a knee ascender, I have a foot technique along with a regular foot ascender that I use that gives me two leg power on ascent. Always trying to reduce gear complexity, have enough stuff on my harness as it is. If I had to do plus 70' all air ascents daily I might use a knee ascender.

At 2:44 into this vid you can see the foot technique, not as efficient as a HAAS/SAKA etc. but very not bad. It's like a more efficient secured footlock motion. Pantin on right foot, half hitch around my left foot on the tail of the rope, to get off the ground a couple shakes of the left foot on the first couple pushes to feed the rope on the left foot, after that self tending. The tail of the rope is on the inside of the left foot, otherwise doesn't work. Tip your toe slightly down to lock it, I do that on my Pantin foot anyway, nice balanced leg loading on the push up.

In the first minute of this my current RW tether setup:

-AJ

Last edited:

Burrapeg

Very inspiring, AJ. I learn stuff in every scene in your videos. Is there a description of your releasable base anchor tie-off somewhere here on the Buzz? Most trees I am climbing are the same type of conifers and I tried something like that a few weeks ago. But I don't think I had it quite right. I found I could not get it to release once I was at height, even with the line unloaded.

I don't use a knee ascender, I have a foot technique along with a regular foot ascender that I use that gives me two leg power on ascent. Always trying to reduce gear complexity, have enough stuff on my harness as it is. If I had to do plus 70' all air ascents daily I might use a knee ascender.

At 2:44 into this vid you can see the foot technique, not as efficient as a HAAS/SAKA etc. but very not bad. It's like a more efficient secured footlock motion. Pantin on right foot, half hitch around my left foot on the tail of the rope, to get off the ground a couple shakes of the left foot on the first couple pushes to feed the rope on the left foot, after that self tending. The tail of the rope is on the inside of the left foot, otherwise doesn't work. Tip your toe slightly down to lock it, I do that on my Pantin foot anyway, nice balanced leg loading on the push up.

In the first minute of this my current RW tether setup:

-AJ
I like your foot lock/foot ascender method, but have you tried using one foot on top of your ascender enabled foot, without the footlock? I prefer a knee ascender, but I've been able to get adequate leverage using this stacked foot approach on a 3:1 Rad system with a GriGri as my multicender. I also like using a HH or Uni more, but its worth mentioning.

moss

I like your foot lock/foot ascender method, but have you tried using one foot on top of your ascender enabled foot, without the footlock? I prefer a knee ascender, but I've been able to get adequate leverage using this stacked foot approach on a 3:1 Rad system with a GriGri as my multicender. I also like using a HH or Uni more, but its worth mentioning.
I don't like the way my knee aligns when I stack one foot on the ascender foot, knee joint works best when you don't turn it while loading it up. With a knee ascender or my foot technique feet are pointed forward and the knee joint works the way it's supposed to.
-AJ

I don't like the way my knee aligns when I stack one foot on the ascender foot, knee joint works best when you don't turn it while loading it up. With a knee ascender or my foot technique feet are pointed forward and the knee joint works the way it's supposed to.
-AJ
Another approach might be to use a hand ascender attached to a foot loop, but your system is more minimal and just as effective, I guess.