Has anyone heard of Duratech ???

Tcemaint

I’m trying to gather some information on the chipper brand duratech.. it looks like they specialize in larger tub grinders and forestry equipment but I found a good deal on a 12” chipper made by them.

Any info would be awesome. They kind of look like and remind me of a bandit.

There is literally only one video of them on the internet and no one talking about them.

southsoundtree

The Duratech in Tumwater looks like it's done a lot of winching, or it had weak paint in the feed tray.

I wondered about it, too.

Tcemaint

Good question.. I think, but I’m not sure there are two bars on each side the you pull and it’s all electronic.

Tcemaint

I ended up purchasing the chipper. No where near what the asking price was so I think I got a good deal. I did some chipping today and it seems really nice. Only scary part is it come with a lot of technology and computer components /switches.. we’ll see.

Tcemaint

The guy that had it owns a excavation/land clearing company and purchased it on a online auction thinking it was a 20” and he thought he was getting a awesome deal. When it showed up he realized it was only a 12”. He did have a new larger chipper at his shop so his story seemed to add up.

He purchased it less then a year ago from the auction for almost 17k and I was able to pick it up for 15k, so I think it was a good deal and worth the risk of not having much info on the brand.

Oroboros

15k for that is a good buy. Good for you.
Are you familiar with chippers ?
What engine is in it ?
Check the disc for play.

Tcemaint

I’ve been around quite a few chippers and I’m pretty “mechanically handy” I would say. No play in the disc.

I did change out the knives and adjust the anvil. I still consindered the knives pretty sharp but the guy I bought it from insisted they were dull. And wow, I was amazed how much better the chip quality came out of the new knives. It was like night and day...

The engin is 122hp cat c4.4

Oroboros

Yeah that's an excellent buy.
Keep the knives nice and sharp. Especially on hardwoods. That will put less wear on the disc bearing. It's a good idea to have two sets of knives. Then there is no time pressure on the sharpening shop.

TimBr

@Tcemaint; Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum, just in case nobody has said that to you yet. I think you are going to like it here!

Great series of first posts, by the way. Jumping in with both feet, as it were. I look forward to reading more from you.

Tim

Tcemaint

Thanks Tim,
that’s great to hear. I do get a little nervous posting because I know some forums like to take advantage of the smell of inexperienced questions. Although I’ve been in the Landscape industry for 14 years and have been a part of a lot of Tree Work I still like to ask the questions to build a knowledgeable foundation as if I’m learning it all from the beginning. Incorporating tree service into my Landscape company will hopefully increase profit margins a bit.. at least on the tree service end of things.