Guy drops chainsaw from 60ft, zero damage???

diogenes

I have no idea how but this happened today.

Climber trainee dropped a chainsaw from 60ft in the woods....landed on his rope bag and bounced into duff. Not one loud sound on impact, just soft bumps. The bar was not bent, no case cracks. The dude then thought I might send him up another saw to finish the removal. Haha. Hell no, he's done climbing for the day. I used the saw later on another removal and it worked great. 201t. Any similar stories or short drops that ended badly?

Reach

I had a clueless climber drop a saw 30’ feet without damage. He clipped one end of the lanyard to the other rather than to his saddle, let go, and down it went... Unfortunately the second time he dropped the saw it wasn’t so fortunate, and the third time was worse yet...

Serf Life

200 that was left on the bucket truck bed took a tumble at speed and was fine minus some scratches. Getting smoked by a dropped saw has always been a fear of mine, hope after the 3rd time he was gone @Reach

rope-a-dope

Dumb luck. Once dropped my 150 maybe 20 feet out of a bradford pear and cracked the handle and air filter all to shit. No simple clips anymore on saw leash. Auto lockers or knots only.

evo

Dumb luck. Once dropped my 150 maybe 20 feet out of a bradford pear and cracked the handle and air filter all to shit. No simple clips anymore on saw leash. Auto lockers or knots only.
Did the same with mine, twice, at about 15’... could have bought 3 for the price I have in it now

Reach

200 that was left on the bucket truck bed took a tumble at speed and was fine minus some scratches. Getting smoked by a dropped saw has always been a fear of mine, hope after the 3rd time he was gone @Reach
He’s long gone, for a number of reasons. Unfortunately for the rest of the world, he now works for himself. I fear for the houses he works over and for his life, but I can’t do anything about it. All I can say is that I glad my workers comp. doesn’t have to pay for his funeral when it comes.

diogenes

I dropped an echo gas powered drill onto a roof while cabling a tree from about 40ft. The drill was sent up to me with a lanyard incorrectly installed. I clipped the lanyard ring on my harness, let go of the drill, and it slipped out because the end loop wasn't around the ring. My bad for not inspecting. The drill had a bit installed and luckily didn't land tip down. It bounced off roof and into a bush, only damage was a bent handle. I tried bending the handle back and in doing so cracked the gearbox case. No roof damage.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
The non anti-vibe Poulan 25s I used at the beginning of my career had a good reputation for not breaking when they took flight. THe AV ones not so good. Rebuilding was cheap since I had buckets of carcasses and a neighbor who could weld magnesium cheap.

RBJtree

I had the ring come off the back of an echo about 12 years ago. Fell about 80 feet, landed on a large log, and disintegrated. Lucky as hell no one got hit, or even took a hit from debris. I never trusted the ring on the back of an echo again.

Mowerr

I had the ring come off the back of an echo about 12 years ago. Fell about 80 feet, landed on a large log, and disintegrated. Lucky as hell no one got hit, or even took a hit from debris. I never trusted the ring on the back of an echo again.
Yeah since I been hearing stories like this I been connecting my lanyard to the top handle and then I bring it back through that ring just in case....I'd rather just connect to the ring but I keep reading treebuzz and treebuzz keeps me using best safety practices bc I just can't ignore the stories I read...

rico

Ever seen an Echo 355T take a 150 ft fall and fucking explode when it hit the butt flare on the big Fir? Not a pretty picture.

Mowerr

Yea it's chit like that, that comes to mind when I'm gearing up that I just can't forget

Chaplain242

Logger friend got flattened on way back to camp (face in dirt flattened). Turns out is was a 14" long twig as round as your thumb from 200ft hit him square in the centre of the hard hat.

chiselbit

Yeah since I been hearing stories like this I been connecting my lanyard to the top handle and then I bring it back through that ring just in case....I'd rather just connect to the ring but I keep reading treebuzz and treebuzz keeps me using best safety practices bc I just can't ignore the stories I read...
I have a piece of throw line tied from the handlebar back to the quicklink on my saw strap. The quick link is connected to the ring on my 2511. I too do not trust that cheesy little ring

climbstihl

Isn't there a type of lanyard designed to connect to the top handle?
Edit: The Recoil lanyard is designed for that.

Fivepoints

Dropped a 550xp that was about two weeks old out of a bucket one time. I was only about 20 ft up. It cracked the chain brake handle.

Another time we had a climber drop a 536lixp from 40 ft. I saw it happen. The saw was attached to the lanyard via a petzl biner without a locking gate. It just came loose and fell. A box of parts later it was good to go again.

rico

I'll bet I have purposefully thrown over a dozen saws out of trees when they wouldn't start or were cutting like shit, but the 2 times I unintentionally lost a saw they were both Echo 355T's. One to a faulty groundie knot and the other to the clip on the saw breaking. Should I test fate and buy another 355?

Chaplain242

I'll bet I have purposefully thrown over a dozen saws out of trees when they wouldn't start or were cutting like shit, but the 2 times I unintentionally lost a saw they were both Echo 355T's. One to a faulty groundie knot and the other to the clip on the saw breaking. Should I test fate and buy another 355?
Depends if you are superstitious and want to test the claim that events happen in three's....