Grub-a-dub-dub

JD3000

Smoked Chicken
20170102_173429.jpg

18 hour seasoned brining in the fridge.
Pat dry and follow with a light seasoning rub.
5 hours indirect heat at about 275° with 2 to 3 hours apple and hickory wood smoke.
Let cool and settle on the cutting board for 10 to 15 minutes. Slice off what ya want! Nice bark, flavorful and still moist inside.

Alternative recipe is to baste periodically with butter, fresh herbs, and garlic.

20170102_175628.jpg

Steve Connally

Its like duck.........duck is like chicken but fatty and rich. All dark meat and slightly oily but in a moist way. Soooooooooo yeah rabbit is really good but a pain in the ass to eat unless its panned. (Panned cooked deboned but intact and flat like in the skillet) I stopped shooting rabbit because of how time consuming it was to clean and cook and eat. I will order it in a restaurant. Kinda like quail, Cornish game hen, trout, and anything that takes actual concentration to eat and not swallow a bone.

JD3000

Chicken Paprikas Recipe
Basically its Hungarian chicken stew served over spaetzel (dumplings).
Ingredients:
About 1/2 package of bacon.

Package of dark meat chicken. Boneless thighs are easiest but bone in thighs and legs have a bit more flavor.

Big can of peeled sliced tomatoes or comparable peeled fresh. I use more.

1/2 to 1 large sweet onion, chopped.

1 large green bell pepper, chopped.

1 Hungarian wax pepper, chopped. This is optional because of heat.

2 large stalks celery, chopped.

12 to 16 oz sour cream. Leave it out ahead of time to reach room temperature.

1 cup water or unflavored tomato sauce. Up to you.

Few to as much as you want cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped. I use a lot. Let me live.

Flour, salt, black pepper, granulated garlic, Hungarian sweet paprika, Hungarian hot paprika too is an option, crushed red pepper flakes (also optional I guess), olive or other cooking oil, a little dry white wine for deglazing.
1.) In a your pot, cook some bacon. Remove when done and take to the face. Keep bacon grease in the pot.
2.) Dredge chicken in flour (season the flour if you want, I do) and quickly brown it in the bacon grease but dont cook through. Set aside on a plate.
3.) Add a little oil to the same pot and saute onion, celery, and pepper. When aromatic, add fresh garlic and continue a couple more minutes. Deglaze with white wine.
4.) Add all your tomatoes and water (or tomato sauce. Stir and mix well.
5.) Salt and listed spices. I dont measure shit, let me live. The paprika is the important part. At least 2 to 3 table spoons of the sweet, touch of the hot if that's your thing.
6.) Put chicken back in the pot, bring to a boil. Reduce to low and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer to reduce.
7.) Shred chicken with forks in the pot when tender enough if using boneless. I prefer it this way rather than bone in.
8.) When chicken is good to go, remove from heat and let cool for 15 to 20 minutes. Add the sour cream and mix well. Let sit for a few.
9.) Serve over fresh made spaetzel. I recommend getting a spaetzel maker but to each their own. Using chicken broth instead of water adds more flavor.
10) traditionally served with lots of rolls/bread and butter for sopping up gravy and some Hungarian kolbas on the side. Polish kolbasa is acceptable.

@Jeff

Last edited:

RopeShield

We all love it. Even the picky teenager.
Stewed is the best. Look up Hasenpfeffer or Coehlo estufado. Braised Drunk bunny is good as any game meat you can find. Imo.
Easy way to skin is over a stout stake in the ground ass over the stake and peel the skin off neck down. It's our holiday treat mb 4x a yr.
I like attacking them lil ribs, spine etc. So damn tasty

JeffGu

I much prefer tame rabbit, and the wife and I used to raise them. We just got set up again, after nearly ten years of no bunnies, with a buck and two does. We'll breed them in spring and have bunnies for the freezer in no time at all. Rather miss eating them, it's awesome meat... very, very low fat and high protein. You can substitute rabbit in almost any chicken recipe.

I think my favorite is our homemade soup. We usually use chicken, rabbit and turkey in it... using the wife's family recipe for chicken soup. We can a lot of it with a pressure canner so we can eat it all year long. Especially tasty during winter.

Rabbits are terribly easy to raise, their poo is fantastic for the garden, and the meat is quite possibly the healthiest that you can eat. They seldom have health issues, and can handle extremely cold temperatures. We also like to have a few chickens around, mostly for the eggs. They're actually more work than the rabbits.