Greenwheel?Quadwheel?ReverseSwheel?

Discussion in 'Rant and Rave' started by Treetopflyer, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Treetopflyer

Treetopflyer Well-Known Member

Anybody have any experience or understandings they care to share about any of these newer grinding wheels? I run greenteeth on my rayco 1635 super Jr. They're great. I'm just curious how they put out so many so quickly. First the greenwheel then the quadwheel then the reverse s .. What gives?? Does one wheel work better on a certain hp rated machine or maybe in certain areas with lots of rocks they want less teeth to chnage(greenwheel only has 6)..or maybe it's just a reinventing the wheel experiment? What do you think?

2. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Well-Known Member

A lot of it is marketing. They're buying steel for ~$.50/pound and selling it for $10+/lb.

The Green and Quad wheels are interesting, more weight per tooth (less vibration/climbing the stump). Tooth life has to be less, but that doesn't matter. I think the reverse standard wheel is largely marketing, although I don't have experience with it.

3. matdand

matdand Active Member

We've had a Greenwheel on a mini attachment for the last two seasons and it has made grinding MUCH better. Not sure about the two others.

4. AmericanArborist

AmericanArborist Active Member

The philosophy behind the greenwheel is the reduced tooth count is superior by design. I think its funny now they keep adding teeth to these other wheels and saying the added teeth improve performance.
    I've never used any of the greenteeth products. Only my vermeer yellow jackets which seem fine.

5. Gareth's Tree

Gareth's Tree Active Member

I know this is an old thread but I was also wondering if the greenwheel or the quad wheel was really a good way to increase the grinding speed on a lower horsepower stump grinder. Does anyone have any more experience with any of these? Specifically in the area of grinding speed?

6. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

Hi Gareth it was good talking to you the other day about the k-boom. What grinder do you have? Ive had a green wheel on a rayco 1625 sjr. It was a good upgrade.. I guess in the end i realized i needed more hp and more swing so i ended up getting a larger machine.

7. Magnum783

Magnum783 Well-Known Member

I am tuning into this one. I just bought a new Carlton and went with the revolution wheel just hope I made the right choice.

8. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

It all depends what your average tree size your cutting. I'm still a small outfit but have been constantly doing large removals with ugly exposed roots. Iam pretty well setup to complete most big jobs the same day when were out with 3 trucks. My issue i was running into was having my guys end up watching me grind the stump. Thats not fun. It was not uncommon to spend up to 2-3 hrs on large ones where we had to remove the chips as well. Now average grind on decent stumps is 30 mins to an 1hour.. Then u get exceptions, this one was in the middle of the driveway all wood no dirt mound. It was from one end of the fence pole to the next, plus it had to be well below the drive for new gravel base. 20160513_171619.jpg

TimBr and Treetopflyer like this.
  9. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

16 ft across if u measure the fence poles.

TimBr likes this.
  10. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

Sounds like a good choice. Which grinder did u get?

11. Magnum783

SP5014 not huge grinder by any way shape or form but I am pleased so far.

12. Gareth's Tree

Wow! Big and ugly for sure! What grinder did you get? And how long did that take? I am running a miller pto stump grinder on my tractor. I have a sanvic wheel on it and do like it. But the whole setup is huge to trailer around. I love having a tractor on the job, to move logs etc, but it takes up a 25 foot trailer and weighs 8500 lbs (not including the 4000lb trailer).

13. Gareth's Tree

I like the sanvic wheel on my grinder. I think it is pretty close to your wheel. What engine is on your machine?

craneguy1 likes this.
  14. Magnum783

35hp Briggs and Stratton. I think they are near about exactly the same. A few differences due to patent mess but pretty close to say the least. Same teeth I know that for sure.

15. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

Revolution wheels great Jared, I've run yellow jackets and green teeth before I bought my bandit 2550 with the revolution wheel, grinds nice and smooth and fast ! If you need you teeth sharpened or re tipped. Jeffs sharpenings the place to get them done !

Gorman and TimBr like this.
  16. Treetopflyer

Pic of my grandfather and another fellow when they ground a 17 foot long elm stump between the curb and sidewalk. I forget the brand at the moment,one of the first grinders ever made.. hung from cables a the cutter would slide around and gitrdun. Ha

Attached Files:

17. Gorman

Gorman Well-Known Member

Yea, I have a sandvik which is very similar. Very effective and blows through pine stumps. Doesn't throw the chips like a paintball gun.

deevo likes this.
  18. Magnum783

I agree the chip throw is much less than what I had expected.

19. Magnum783

This the place out of MI? Do you happen to remember pricing or anything like that? I have a brand new set of teeth that can with the grinder so it would be nice to have an avenue to get this set sharpened. Where do you buy new teeth Devon?

20. Treetopflyer

My Vermeer 50tx throws chips like machine gun. Shits gnarly . Throws them very far. Definitely need serious chip containment setup with this machine. Grinding big stumps where the swath of cut moves cutter wheel to far left side the chips pelt the shit out of your legs without containment. I like the waste management bagsters for alot of reasons for clean up ,but they're good for catching chips for sure.