Gonna give it a go

deevo

I vote for neither of those, get wire fids from @markprz. Very reasonably priced and they work fantastic.
I second that and what limb it has contributed, you'll be a splicing machine after going to one of Marks courses ! The best hands on course out there ! Just a warning..... You will become so addicted to splicing you'll want to be doing it all the time ! I've spliced so many things after taking the course my wife thinks I have a problem ( aside from all my other tree gear collecting ones !)

96coal449

I vote for neither of those, get wire fids from @markprz. Very reasonably priced and they work fantastic.
Thanks tc I'll check that out. I have treestuff's version but I was thinking The full fid/ third fid marks would be useful.

I second that and what limb it has contributed, you'll be a splicing machine after going to one of Marks courses ! The best hands on course out there ! Just a warning..... You will become so addicted to splicing you'll want to be doing it all the time ! I've spliced so many things after taking the course my wife thinks I have a problem ( aside from all my other tree gear collecting ones !)
My wife thinks I have big problems too. :D

SeanRuel

Eh, you don't need the fid marks on the fid. Just make those marks for various diameters right on the dining room table! Color code each diameter for extra style points.

Also, what the others have said, Markprz's fids work wonderfully. Or get some picture hanging wire, bend it in half, and twist other end around a carabiner. Push fids suck!

mattbever

The 'fid' I end up using the most is very thin, cheap wire that comes on a small spool from the hardware store and is attatched to an old retired aluminum ring. Other than that. Most splices only require good scissors, a small tape measure, sharpie, proper directions, prussic for milking the cover (occasionally), needle nose pliers (occasionally), coconut oil lube (occasionally), sewing needle with a decent size eye, and whipping twine. Heat shrink tubing if I feel like getting fancy with labels:)

Put your harness on and hook on to your truck hitch for the really tight final bury on some with tight covers/used rope.

It's sort of like learning to play guitar at first...your fingers need to get used to it.

Take Mark P's class if you can, this will be a major shortcut in the learning process.

I recommend sending your first couple out to get break tested for piece of mind.

Have fun!

CutHighnLetFly

x100 on goings to Fids and Fibers. your gunna get some free gear @DonnyCoffey which we will all anxiously wait for you to sell for a steal on treebay haha. just kidding. Best of luck! splicing is fun.

96coal449

Donny I just started splicing myself. I've only made a couple of slings so far with some hollow braid. I have a ton to learn and a long way to go. I hope you enjoy it as much as I.

JeffGu

I'm sorry, but you have terrible tastes in clothes! I mean, really... those shoes with that outfit? Didn't you have any rubber boots?

Limb It

I did, but when i found they had a poulan chainsaw in them, I did the only reasonable thing and killed them with fire.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk