Gerasimek's Tree-mek

SJ_Treeguy

Its all about safety and savings ,the safety part is the less the climber is exposed to the lifts the better and his longevity as an industrial athlete, the savings is a two man crew that can do the same as a three or four man crew, so you make 8 or 10 more picks (man). I don't want to take anyones job away from them but we have to face the fact that great quality climbers are getting hard to find ( at least in my area man) . Levi i threw the "man" in there to copy your writing style so you would be able to understand me.

Levi.CO

Its all about safety and savings ,the safety part is the less the climber is exposed to the lifts the better and his longevity as an industrial athlete, the savings is a two man crew that can do the same as a three or four man crew, so you make 8 or 10 more picks (man). I don't want to take anyones job away from them but we have to face the fact that great quality climbers are getting hard to find ( at least in my area man) . Levi i threw the "man" in there to copy your writing style so you would be able to understand me.
I get it, just wondering if the machine could remove the large wood as well... without tipping it over.

ROYCE

Yeah that was cool, But I don't really get it. First off you taking really small pieces. If you did it the traditional way and tip tied some of those you could have taken MUCH bigger pieces.
What was just shown is not more efficient than running a three man or even four man crew. You could have done four trees that size on one day with a properly fitted crew.
But I get it, if you want to keep it simple and keep overhead down. If I owned that thing I would at least get rid of that device and just have the operator climb and rig, he has a remote and all. However, he wouldn't be able to wear those shoes though. That might spoil his day!!!

The 'man' originates from my response to Levi's question. He was poking fun at me saying it and you're poking fun at him. You, in theory should be poking fun at me, but, based on his responses, he deserves it. Thanks Treeguy. Your response shows your understanding of why the tree-mek exists.

CutHighnLetFly

i thought that was pretty nuts. i dont think its a big deal that the pieces weren't all that big, it seemed pretty fluid, which seems like it can be more important than getting a huge piece. if they are moving fast, getting two small pieces out in the same speed as one big one, whats the difference? also, that looked like it would have been as easy to do no matter what the weather, rain, heat, humidity, snow (excluding ice right?).
that seemed to take the fun out of it all though, but all work no play makes jack a rich boy

i thought that was pretty nuts. i dont think its a big deal that the pieces weren't all that big, it seemed pretty fluid, which seems like it can be more important than getting a huge piece. if they are moving fast, getting two small pieces out in the same speed as one big one, whats the difference? also, that looked like it would have been as easy to do no matter what the weather, rain, heat, humidity, snow (excluding ice right?).
that seemed to take the fun out of it all though, but all work no play makes jack a rich boy
We'll said. You get it. The pieces I bring down are just the right size for 1 man to process easily. Also, the size of the pieces makes them easy to control. I bring each piece down to the chipper and can rotate it to line it up with the chipper. Often there isn't a giant area to bring big picks down anyways so small pieces, 1 guy, no mini, no giant payroll, worker's comp on only 1 guy...etc. etc. You get it.

Here we go again with the negative and ignorant (ie. no practical experience with actual use) comments of something new that might replace climbers. This will never replace climbers but it will make jobs safer and faster. If a tree mek saves even one climbers life is that worth it? Unless you have been standing next to one work you have little credibility on its functionality. From personal experience it's like watching an opera, no yelling, no guys showing up late, no whining about an old injury. Just work getting done, no drama.

Here we go again with the negative and ignorant (ie. no practical experience with actual use) comments of something new that might replace climbers. This will never replace climbers but it will make jobs safer and faster. If a tree mek saves even one climbers life is that worth it? Unless you have been standing next to one work you have little credibility on its functionality. From personal experience it's like watching an opera, no yelling, no guys showing up late, no whining about an old injury. Just work getting done, no drama.
Right on!

Levi.CO

The 'man' originates from my response to Levi's question. He was poking fun at me saying it and you're poking fun at him. You, in theory should be poking fun at me, but, based on his responses, he deserves it. Thanks Treeguy. Your response shows your understanding of why the tree-mek exists.
It's not very difficult to understand why the tree-mek exists. I actually enjoyed watching your video Gerasimek I was only curious if that thing (the tree-mek, not the crane) could handle some big wood or what, as it was not shown in the video. Is that really such an ignorant question? It's a crane...... yup.

It's not very difficult to understand why the tree-mek exists. I actually enjoyed watching your video Gerasimek I was only curious if that thing (the tree-mek, not the crane) could handle some big wood or what, as it was not shown in the video. Is that really such an ignorant question? It's a crane...... yup.
I'll apologize for that.
The Mecanil SG220 grapplesaw has an 18" bar. I cut everything I can with it. When it gets thicker than 18" I can even do snap cuts with it if the spar doesn't have too much lean. When I'm done with the grapplesaw it's usually short enough to just drop it over. If not, I sometimes grab the top and cut it off at the bottom with a saw. If it's bigger than that, I swap out the grapplesaw for a hook, use a ladder to put a strap on it, and lift it or I can put the basket on and lop off pieces. My last resort, which I only needed once, is to hire a guy and a bucket. There are quite a few options.
That tree in the video was in a backyard that was completely fenced in. The gate was at the other end of the house and there was no room to get a chipper or mini back there due to landscaping and such. My guy and I had all the brush out and chipped up in under 3 hours. After that we swapped out the grapplesaw for the hook and lifted the last 3 tree trunks (it was a triple trunk from the base) up and over the garage making the cuts from the ground. After that we ate lunch and went to another job. I never touched a chainsaw that day.
I know it's hard to believe. Ask Jerad. He came out to see it. Now he's getting one.

Are you concerned about torsion on your boom, or does the grapple rotation prevent that from happening?
The grapplesaw swings and counterbalances the limb. I used the Mecanil all last year on a much smaller (36') k-boom. I watched and studied my boom and how the grapplesaw worked. I quickly realized how awesome this grapplesaw was and decided to buy a Palfinger crane from Tiffin.