Gearing up for the EAB invasion

frashdog

Emeral ash bore has been found in Montreal,QC and south near the Canadian/NY border. I'm an hour south, Champlain Valley in the Adirondacks, NY. We got lots of ash!

EAB in NY
EAB in Montreal area

We thought the eab was going to come up NY from the south It has been found recently in penn.
EAB PA

I've contacted arborjet, I like thier products. Thinking about the delux kit delux kit, maybe Please give me any likes dislikes about their products?

My questions are buisness related really, especially from you guys treating this in your areas.

How do you price per tree? Like. How much product is used per tree? How much time spent per tree?

I want to be able to provide services for individual residential trees and also be able to dive into thousand tree contracts. Did I mention we have alot of ash trees around here?

I do not do PHC...I do the funeral calls imminent for the species.... I love the Ash , this borer may eventually end it!!! I have read that a non-stinging wasp may be a biological control...

treegazer

Sounds like we are in the same boat.
EAB has Kentucky surrounded. We are just waiting for it to be confirmed within our state.
I have used most tree injection systems (except Wedgle) as well as trunk sprays and soil drench/soil injection of product.
The pros and cons in my experience are as follows.

ArborJet Tree IV: 1)- All of the tubes can get rather convoluted and clumsy (ie me tripping over them). 2)- exposure to product when filling the application containers (with care and the proper PPE this is minimized). 3)+ Once the product is in the tree you are done, you don't have to go back to the site and you don't have a bunch of garbage. 4) Drilling the tree and leaving a plastic plug in the tree.

Arborjet QuickJet: 1) + No convoluted tubes 2)- exposure to product when filling the application containers (with care and the proper PPE this is minimized). 3)+ Once the product is in the tree you are done, you don't have to go back to the site and you don't have a bunch of garbage. 4) Drilling the tree and leaving a plastic plug in the tree.

Mauget : 1) + self contained capsules = no exposure to you or any one else. 2) - drilling the tree 3) You have to wait around for the product to move into the tree or come back. 4) - You have to dispose of all the empty plastic capsules.

Merit 75WP : It is on the label that this product can not be used as a soil drench in two counties in New York state due to the FACT that it moves through the soil into the groundwater and inevitably into the drinking water.

Safari/PentraBark: 1) + No drilling. Material is applied to the trunk and translocated through the bark into the vascular system where it is moved through out the tree. 2) - Higher risk of exposure to the applicator.

As far as the specifics of price and application rates. All the information can be gotten from the websites of the chemical suppliers. The product label has the specifics of application rate. Find what the cost of the product is, figure the application rate and you can figure a per inch cost.
I spent a day last week doing just that.

The fastest method of the above is the trunk spray. QuickJet is the next followed by Tree IV and Mauget being close.

Good luck saving as many trees as you can.

frashdog

Thats the info I'm looking for, pros cons alternatives.

Just got my info packet from arbor-jet.

I'm a techy kinda guy so the arbor-jet systems just kinda resonate with me. To me it looks way more pro versus some one "simply" drenching the soil. Even though it may be just as effective.

The cost of tree-age(emamectin,not for use here anyways) is about $1.60/inch. $525/liter that is good for 33 trees at 10" or 330". Hope my math is right?

The IMA-jet (imidacloprid) is $385/liter for 25trees @10"= $1.54/inch.

Thanks

Chum

That's your cost, what the customer is charged is the difference between getting the job or not.

Jsin

Frashdog, What is the current news...any.What else did you find out about the arbor-jet system? They only sell it through a dealer in Mass. if I remember correct.Let me know what you have found out. Jsin

Brian

[ QUOTE ]
I have used most tree injection systems (except Wedgle) as well as trunk sprays and soil drench/soil injection of product.
The pros and cons in my experience are as follows.

ArborJet Tree IV: 1)- All of the tubes can get rather convoluted and clumsy (ie me tripping over them). 2)- exposure to product when filling the application containers (with care and the proper PPE this is minimized). 3)+ Once the product is in the tree you are done, you don't have to go back to the site and you don't have a bunch of garbage. 4) Drilling the tree and leaving a plastic plug in the tree.

Arborjet QuickJet: 1) + No convoluted tubes 2)- exposure to product when filling the application containers (with care and the proper PPE this is minimized). 3)+ Once the product is in the tree you are done, you don't have to go back to the site and you don't have a bunch of garbage. 4) Drilling the tree and leaving a plastic plug in the tree.

Mauget : 1) + self contained capsules = no exposure to you or any one else. 2) - drilling the tree 3) You have to wait around for the product to move into the tree or come back. 4) - You have to dispose of all the empty plastic capsules.

Merit 75WP : It is on the label that this product can not be used as a soil drench in two counties in New York state due to the FACT that it moves through the soil into the groundwater and inevitably into the drinking water.

Safari/PentraBark: 1) + No drilling. Material is applied to the trunk and translocated through the bark into the vascular system where it is moved through out the tree. 2) - Higher risk of exposure to the applicator.

As far as the specifics of price and application rates. All the information can be gotten from the websites of the chemical suppliers. The product label has the specifics of application rate. Find what the cost of the product is, figure the application rate and you can figure a per inch cost.
I spent a day last week doing just that.

The fastest method of the above is the trunk spray. QuickJet is the next followed by Tree IV and Mauget being close.

Good luck saving as many trees as you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

The two NY counties that you cannot use Merit is Nassau and Suffolk (Long Island). I think the reason its turning up in wells is because homeowners are using it to control lawn grubs at rates not perscribed by the manufacturer.

treegazer

What are the effects on groundwater when all of us professionals start dumping imidicloprid in the ground according to label?

If there is an alternative to dumping pesticides into the earth I for on am going to chose the alternative.

Woodland

Arbor jet-quick jet is our perfered method on larger trees... with soil injections on smaller. If it is in an area where soil leaching near a lake or something is a possibiltiy, we often choose to go the injection route for smaller trees also. If used according to labeling, shouldn't be too much of a problem for groundwater. In Michigan we have been dealing with EAB for quite some time. Whatever you do, don't let the "powers that be" write off the trees as "gone"... maybe too expensive to treat - but hopefully you don't get too much of the cut and slash mentalatiy that we have run into - without the able to treat and prevent thought. You can find a lot of information at: http://www.emeraldashborer.info/ or: http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1568_2390_18298---,00.html and if you do a google seach of anything that Dr. Dave Roberts of MSU has put out on EAB. Dave was one of the first who actually took what the Arborist out in the field was finding to be results, and took that type information back to his lab at MSU to realize that there was hope for the Ash tree.

bushman

How effective is Safari/pentrabark ?Idid not know that safari was a borer killer.wonder if oynx would work better for borer suppression.i use it for pine bettle and ambroshia bettle.i wonder when all the insects will be imune to merit ,the product has been around a long time.

Woodland

The Pentra Bark hasn't been on the market very long. While it has pretty good reviews... it's "real in the field" hasn't had much of a chance yet. A lot like what was toted as the so called "silver bullet" - Tree-age, which we do use, but is VERY EXPENSIVE.

frashdog

[ QUOTE ]
Frashdog, What is the current news...any.What else did you find out about the arbor-jet system? They only sell it through a dealer in Mass. if I remember correct.Let me know what you have found out. Jsin

[/ QUOTE ]Well.

I had a great conversation with a dec forester on the EAB scare up here. U.S. forest service is involed as well. If it gets here they will start with the cut,chip,grind all ash within a mile of EAB. Due to the fact that the dec is unaware of ANY treatments available! I gave him some info about what I had come across as far as treatments available.

Bait traps that got put out this summer are being retrieved right now, results should be in a few weeks. 200 were placed along U.S./Can border.

The EAB was found on a pennisula on the south shore of the St.Lawrence south of Montreal. Less than 30min from the U.S.

Suspected camp fire wood brought from Ontario. No fire wood to be brought into the U.S.

Cut, chip, and grind all ash for a mile is standard practice. I guess if we can't have the ash neither can the EAB.

If it does get down here good luck stopping fire wood moving around, many folks burn fire wood now with the oil prices.

As for the Arbo-jet. Seems like Mass is the place to get it.
The sales woman was really informative and willing to answer all my questions. Arbor-jet is in gear right now. There is 80,000+ tree contract out for the city of Chicago for EAB.

Woodland

Soooo, just curious... are any of you from Michigan or talking to anyone from Michigan??????????? There's A TON OF EXPERIENCE THERE!!!!