Friction Hitch Questions

jaredtritz

@jaredtritz, I completely forgot about your post of the Blakes variation that you came up with. Could you post another picture of it or explain how to tie it. I couldn't figure out what's going on from the picture. Thanks for your help, there aren't many single eye hitches and I would like another for my collection.
20171127_230528.jpg

The hitch is a bit clearer here. Though I hesitate to admit this, I made a bad mistake last week and had this hitch, and my safety backup catch me. I keep this hitch tied in above all else (except sometimes my hand ascender) on a safety backup attachment. I finished work and was ready to switch to descent. I've been using a figure 8 repel device but didn't have it so grabbed a twist lock carabiner and clipped in a Hunter hitch. Unclipped my main attachment and leaned back to descend about 35 feet. As I did the munter managed to open the gate of the carabiner and unravel to a straight pass through and I was left gripping the line and picking up speed quickly on descent. It took about 6 feet for me to pull my left hand off the safety knot and push it up, and it caught me! I can see how this is/was an operator error, but share to encourage others who might save themselves from a fall, for any myriad of operator errors, using this or another hitch on a seperate backup safety chord.

Brocky

Glad to hear you didn't panic and and were able to stop the descent. Things happen very quickly sometimes.
Thanks for the pictures, very clear now how it's tied. I had a couple guesses how it was tied from your other picture, neither was like yours, maybe they will be added to the collection also, after trying them out.
Do you have a name for it?

jaredtritz

Glad to hear you didn't panic and and were able to stop the descent. Things happen very quickly sometimes.
Thanks for the pictures, very clear now how it's tied. I had a couple guesses how it was tied from your other picture, neither was like yours, maybe they will be added to the collection also, after trying them out.
Do you have a name for it?
Well, I think b/c I use it as a safety tail, and as such it can bail you out of a tough fall, calling it a "bail tail" would suffice and be reminding of it's purpose.

Brocky

Yes, they worked for me,but should be tested by the user. Maybe should have added stopper knots for safety.

jaredtritz

I tied these other three to see tonight, and I think I'm going to file them as "maybe knots" and "probably knots". They are interesting variants but I found them less desirable than the Blake's hitch and the bail tail variant. Thanks for sharing though! I may revisit them again... sometimes it takes playing around with a knot to find it's usefulness.