Friction Hitch Questions

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by Brocky, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Kris Fugate

Kris Fugate Member

Would love a video showing how you tie, dress and set this. I can't quite figure it out from the pic. First time I've ever seen the e2e tethered right to the bridge. Cool idea!

SomethingWitty likes this.
  2. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

It's just a 4-2 v.t. With an oval carabiner added. It still clips to the harness the regular way. To tie, do the four wraps and have the first crossover, or braid, be in front. Instead of a braid in back take the two tails together and tie a overhand knot. Next take the carabiner and clip it through the first braid, which is in front, and let it hang. The tails will be behind the carabiner and rope so pull them through the oval carabiner out to the front and clip to your harness carabiner.

Hope that helps

Kris Fugate likes this.
  3. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

I need to get my gopro back on my hat.
    Got a couple of little videos.
    I'm also going to get you guys a tying video. It takes me about 30 seconds dressed and ready.

This hitch is every bit as smooth as my well broken in rope runner (which is no longer broken in because of rotated bollards. Ugh.) I am going to start seriously running it for work.

castanea and Brocky like this.
  4. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

image.jpeg Thanks SomethingWitty for posting those. The descending in the first shows that the hitch works when you stopped and then started easily again to descend. I played with Steven's hitch today with a fairly stiff cord that wouldn't bite, the wraps didn't receive enough of the load because of the lower part of the hitch. I quess a softer cord is needed.

Did the tails lengthen? I have found that just trying out a hitch in a controlled climb is different than when using it while working. You don't go as easy on it because you are concentrating on a million other things.

Here is a long hitch I came up with before the short one. Looking back through my notes it looks like it is the only one to work.

surveyor and SomethingWitty like this.
  5. SomethingWitty

No, if it is dressed properly, it doesn't seem to change once it gets set. I worked on one today with a few ascents. I tied a 5 over 1 to start, and it was quite a bit grabbier. Tending was harder, but I had complete faith in its holding ability.

Edit: I haven't tried anything besides HRC with this hitch. The heat resitance is important to me, and I have little faith in ice tail to not bind up.

Maybe try fewer of the helical braids with a larger top hitch? I have found that you need a hitch that keeps its wraps tidy (like the distel) is important.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  6. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

I agree with your comment about the Icetail being mushier than the HRC, Beeline might work also. I never thought about it but you're right about a hitch that keeps their shape perform better.

7. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

@Kris Fugate were the instructions clear enough? If not I can do some step by step photos.

8. Kris Fugate

Kris Fugate Member

Yessir! I will give it a try soon. Thanks brother

TimBr and Brocky like this.
  9. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Has anyone tied, or are using any of the above hitches?

10. rope-a-dope

rope-a-dope Well-Known Member

I need to find a longer piece of hitch cord to try these, all mine are short ass eye&eyes!

11. SomethingWitty

I've played off and on with that long hitch. It really needs a firmer kernmantle to function properly in stationary rope systems.
    My tachyons and yale 11.7 don't really get along with it. I haven't been carrying that samson static around with me since it got cut.
    It does work fairly well in MRS setups. I can see it being a safe option for gear-light stationary ascent and then work the tree with a moving rope system...
    Can we go back to ddrt and srt? I miss them.

12. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

I think they just addd to the confusion by adding two more terms. With the two new official terms do they think the other names are just going away and will be forgotten? Some people hadn't made the change from DRT to DdRT. And how does two terms cover five, maybe more, climbing systems? It's as clear as mud now!

Levi.CO and SomethingWitty like this.
  13. jaredtritz

jaredtritz New Member

hitch_pub.jpg

Here is a hitch I've been using for SRT that some of you might be interested in trying. I was using a distal, tied as in the image labeled A, which I used in conjunction with a rope wrench for quite a while. I noticed that this hitch would jam and that when it did it seemed to be due to locking/friction/tightness near the bottom where the two tails cross. Therefore, I tried mitigating this by routing the one tail through a bottom coil/turn as shown in image B. The loaded hitch had a really nice action, and didn't jam etc, to the point where I tried it without my rope wrench and viola! I've been using it for the last month or so without a rope wrench a single line and it seems to be reliable/repeatable :) It has a nice easy slide action on the way down, and a fluid quick/easy release when transitioning to ascent. It's worth noting, that the loaded hitch places a dramatic bend near the bottom, breaking the friction load into two sections, that of the coils on top and that of the bend on bottom, as the rope wrench does but inverted. The fact that the balance between these load points is maintained stably throughout use is key, ensuring that it locks quickly/reliably without setback, and doesn't jam. It def has to be tied to use up all the cord, so snug coils/turns is important so that as it loosens it's not too long/loose. Also, the micro pully is still needed to make tending slack on ascent work well, I'm not sure this works at all without the micro... I did experiment without the micro and verified that if the bottom loop flips up (hitch inverts), the hitch just locks, no falling :)

14. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Welcome Jared, the hitch you show has previously been shown as the Matt Cornell hitch. I didn't know it would work in SRT mode. With the short legs you show, perhaps the hitch doesn' tighten up with extended use, which usually happens with just using hitches on SRT.

Edit: just went back to the beginning of this thread and see it starts with the Matt Cornell hitch, only shown tied mirror fashion from yours.

TimBr likes this.
  15. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@jaredtritz; Hey, Jered! Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you're going to like it here!

Great first post. I look forward to reading more from you.

Tim

16. jaredtritz

jaredtritz New Member

I used it up and down several times in the rain today and it doesn't bind for me. Sometimes I have to break it free on transition to ascent but it breaks easy and stays broke, the micro pulley really helps get under it for that, doesn't require loosening a leg or stage, just a nice even push with the micro. I'm about 150 lbs plus 20 lbs of gear.

17. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Sounds good. I was going to try it but got distracted by something. Will try again tomorrow. What are you using for hitch cord?

18. jaredtritz

jaredtritz New Member

Using a nylon chord, 8mm, fairly supple and fine weave sheath. I've tried it with a couple diff ropes and with the laced eye chord pictured too and they all seem to work similar. I refrain from fast descent and always tie a second backup hitch on a longer cord, seperate carabiner, attched to my mainline above the working hitch. For the backup I use a variation on the Blake's hitch which tends easily, doesn't loosen, and always engages without slipping. Here's a photo of that one

Attached Files:

Brocky likes this.
  19. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

I tried this with 7mm accessory cord on 10mm HTP and it worked nice and smooth like a hitch on a DdRT system. As you stated it has to be tied tight with short legs or it slips a little after pushing it up to ascend. Another hitch, that I also tried, that is related to the Matt Cornell, is below. It also has two "parts" and bends the rope
    IMG_1455.JPG

JeffGu and TimBr like this.
  20. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

@jaredtritz, I completely forgot about your post of the Blakes variation that you came up with. Could you post another picture of it or explain how to tie it. I couldn't figure out what's going on from the picture. Thanks for your help, there aren't many single eye hitches and I would like another for my collection.