Flex Tether for the Rope Wrench

TonyK

As posted in Moss's thread Ive been mucking around with a flexible tether for the RW. I reckon I have got it. See what you think of the pics and there is some uncut vid of it being trialed on my You Tube Channel . I'll make a vid of the finished product in the tree shortly.

TonyK

And here's finished product, cover from my 5/8 rigging rope. I'll do up the process and materials if anyone is interested in how it's built or building one. The base design is courtesy Oceans "Whipple" tether and Moss's V4.

TonyK

[ QUOTE ]
looks interesting but doesn't the flex take away from the advantage of a stiff tether when tending?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Derrick, I don't believe so, there is and initial small amount of flex as the wrench disengages and tends. As it flexes the resistance increases due to the spring elongating and putting pressure on the rubber stopper at the top of the tether at the WR. In fact It feels more snappy.

TonyK

[ QUOTE ]
Never mind. Watched the video. looks like it tended good.

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries mate

oceans

I think I tried to post this very word in the V4 thread but when looking back, it wasn't there...

"DANG!"

Nice bit of work there, mate!

TonyK

Thanks Eric and Andrew, collaborative effort, Whipple style internal, sewn Moss V4 style with a spring wrapped around it, to easy.
Hey AJ, I've never been any good at naming anything, all I could think off was Flex Tether.....

Treezybreez

Hey Tony, that looks nice. It is amazing how many different mods the RW has gone threw.

Maybe try a shorter hitch cord so the pulley tends the slack quicker.

moss

[ QUOTE ]
Hey AJ, I've never been any good at naming anything, all I could think off was Flex Tether.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Flex Tether is to the point, good name. Maybe SP (Super Python) Flex Tether? ;-)

TonyK

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Tony, that looks nice. It is amazing how many different mods the RW has gone threw.

Maybe try a shorter hitch cord so the pulley tends the slack quicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Treezy, I want to play with the hitch next, have 10 mm OP that AJ's has got to run well. I don't thing that will mean shortening the tether thou as the shorter the length the more resistance to flex and conform. But your right taking that little sit back slack out of the bottom would be an advantage.

Treezybreez

I was looking at your hitch again and maybe if you take another braid it would stiffen the hitch enough to tend faster. It just looked like it needed a little more dialing in. I like the rest of the setup.

Samson Ice is a hitch cord I favor.

TonyK

Thanks Treezy, haven't be climbing for that long and don't climb for a quid (my main Job) any tips are always appreciated. I have several cords here to try and a couple of hitches in mind but will certainly add that extra braid to the VT and give it a run