Flat branches on weeping cherry

John_KAYS

I feel like I should know what's going on here, but I am brain dead at the moment.
Thanks for your helpIMG_7635.jpg IMG_7634.jpg IMG_7631.jpg

Treezybreez

Textbook example of Fasciation. Page 508 in "Diseases of Trees and Shrubs" talks about it. Could be hormonal from a variety of things. Very interesting, was the abnormal flattening all the way back to the graft union?

John_KAYS

That rings a bell. Thanks.

No the flattening was just on some of the outer branches. The branch started round and got flatter and more curled the closer to the tip.

Crazy stuff.

KTSmith

Tree species?
The growth anomaly looks like fasciation to me. Keep in mind that "fasciation" refers to the symptomatic growth form and development and is not a single disease as such.

ATH

especially 2,4-D

I've also seen a tree treated with Cambistat that had deformed leaves throughout. Can't say for certain that was the cause, but mighty suspicious.

But both of those are still hormonal reactions of the plant...

John_KAYS

Yes, I believe it was a red cedar/cultivar. It was on a property that we were pruning other trees and I happened to notice this growth. I have no idea what, if any, treatments this tree has received...or the landscape in general. I almost asked her, as I thought it looked like it could have been a cause. Thanks for the feedback. You are all incredibly knowledgeable.

John_KAYS

Also I was thinking, correct me if I’m wrong, that this may have been caused by a fungal factor as we have had SUCH a wet year!