Five horrible things extreme heat does to the human body

ghostice

Back when I used to do Industrial Hygiene, we had used gel pack (phase change) cooling vests shipboard, for engine room staff that had to work in 40-50 deg (and higher) temps, with a lot of radiant heat load from equipment. A standby supply of gel pacs were kept in a freezer/ cooler and changed periodically. These allowed even heat non-acclimated workers to carry out their tasks. I have not seen them used in tree industry but they are perhaps an option, esp. in say crane removals, I'd think. There are a variety of technologies now in play from frozen water pacs to phase change to cooling water circulation vests and air cooled, etc. There's also many vendors now on the web - here's a link to one:
http://www.polarproducts.com/polarshop/pc/viewcontent.asp?idpage=93
As we approach summer, this might be an option for some in the tree services industry to complement the usual cool drinks/ rest regimens etc.

Man up. Ill take 100 degree day over any 30 degree day. Sorry...... My saw starts like nothing, ropes arent frozen. Drink water hydrate. Own the heat

colb

Man up. Ill take 100 degree day over any 30 degree day. Sorry...... My saw starts like nothing, ropes arent frozen. Drink water hydrate. Own the heat
Nah bra. Overheating can kill people. It leads to poor decision making. That's not a man up, it's a wise up.

Nah bra. Overheating can kill people. It leads to poor decision making. That's not a man up, it's a wise up.
Wahhhhh... im not trying to hear that. You just didn't prep for the heat. Poor decusons happen when you let that heat hit your mind..... mind over matter. Sorry. No tears here. Being aware is key. So heat or frost you should be able to handle any situation. Soooo ummmmm... man up!!!

rope-a-dope

That's fine if you are acclimated to working all day in a full Sun in Georgia. If you can hydrate and tough it out, great, but don't call your new groundie from new Hampshire a pussy if he keels over and has a seizure. Call 911. Real awareness is about how other people might be more susceptible to heat illness.

Treezybreez

Last year the heat got me. It was a hot day even in the shade. I was drinking lots of water, but it was pouring out my stomach and not sweating out anywhere else. I started getting a headache where my neck attaches to my head, then one of my hands refused to let go of the rope when I told it to and my vision started getting spotty. I decided to pack up and head home. On the way home I began vomiting and my body temperature began fluctuating. One second I would feel hot and the next second cold. The vomiting continued most of the night. The next day I went back to work, but I drank more electrolites and did not work as long. It took about a week for me to fully regain my strength.

PLEASE, PLEASE - Everyone - headache, vision and/or co-ordination problems, vomiting, etc. can also be symptoms of a cerebral stroke. If anyone does experience these symptoms - 1) do not drive yourself and 2) go see a doctor/ ER stat. This is not something for home care (esp if living alone), regardless of age or other health status. We don't want to lose anyone when a simple check in at a clinic/ER could have prevented bad things from happening. If it is a stroke, there are treatments that can be administered that will prevent much of the permanent brain damage that can happen. Strokes can happen even in the relatively young (spoken as a gheezer).

https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/health-topics/hw222891

Last edited: