First Time Competition Climbing

Im thinking about doing my first competition climb this year, with the WC TCC event. Im contemplating on actually climbing though, because Ive actually never seen an event before, other than some vids online, but at the same time it looks like so much FUN! Don't want to have a bad experience though and not be prepared or fuck up bad. What are some of your recommendations on this? Either way Ill be attending but, would love to compete.

rope-a-dope

Some competitions have apprentice divisions for first time competitors like yourself. This is good for you, because it can be easy to assume the climber knows what's going on.
Competitions can be overwhelming, so may not be the best for absolute beginners, but as long as you are comfortable with using throw line, footlocking, accessing full canopies and climbing without a lot of support I say go for it.
They are fun and the people are usually very supportive and climbers of all levels can learn a lot just by being there. If you decide to enter, read the rules and practice in whatever trees you can find doing stuff that usually doesn't happen at work.

oldoakman

Go for it. Have fun, learn from the veterans, read and understand the rules, and kick ass. Practice throw line, it wins or looses comps. Make sure all your gear is in order and will pass inspection. When is the comp?

southsoundtree

Its definitely speed-climbing, not work climbing.

Always double-triple check your life-support, and know your gear in advance. Injuries and deaths happen in speed-climbing. I was an in-tree tech and watched a guy fiddling with shiny new gear on the ground. He was getting fancy, and almost took a plunge from 50', from a few feet in front of me. Yikes.

It can be fun.
Slim down your gear.
Know the rules.

Practicing for comps will hone efficiency.

Some competitions have apprentice divisions for first time competitors like yourself. This is good for you, because it can be easy to assume the climber knows what's going on.
Competitions can be overwhelming, so may not be the best for absolute beginners, but as long as you are comfortable with using throw line, footlocking, accessing full canopies and climbing without a lot of support I say go for it.
They are fun and the people are usually very supportive and climbers of all levels can learn a lot just by being there. If you decide to enter, read the rules and practice in whatever trees you can find doing stuff that usually doesn't happen at work.
Thanks for the advice! I didn't really know about the apprentice division. I'm familiar with everything but i honestly don't practice aerial rescue very often, and would probably be the most unfimiliar with how they judge you on it.

Thanks for the advice! I didn't really know about the apprentice division. I'm familiar with everything but i honestly don't practice aerial rescue very often, and would probably be the most unfimiliar with how they judge you on it.
Go for it. Have fun, learn from the veterans, read and understand the rules, and kick ass. Practice throw line, it wins or looses comps. Make sure all your gear is in order and will pass inspection. When is the comp?
the comp is June 17 I think. Copy that.

Its definitely speed-climbing, not work climbing.

Always double-triple check your life-support, and know your gear in advance. Injuries and deaths happen in speed-climbing. I was an in-tree tech and watched a guy fiddling with shiny new gear on the ground. He was getting fancy, and almost took a plunge from 50', from a few feet in front of me. Yikes.

It can be fun.
Slim down your gear.
Know the rules.

Practicing for comps will hone efficiency.
Damn! Yeah I plan to just keep it pretty basic on the work climb and hopefully move around smoothly. Ive never seen first hand how the work climbing event is conducted. Are you timed or judged on your ascent?

WaitakKauri

Write your gear checklist at home and make some copies.... much easier and less stress :)

I only rec climb, but really wanted to try a comp. I watched my first, met lots of great people and entered the next. Comp #3 for me this weekend and the 4th by months end. Helped setup for one and later at nationals. Love it!

Awesome times and great people.

That all said, speed and arm/shoulder/core strength are my biggest killers. I have to practice more at speed and building strength for not being a pro climber. Climbers at the comps here are seriously climb fit.

Oh, recently my son has been enjoying being the patient for aerial rescue practice. Having something to rescue has helped me improve my practice times and is much more like the comps.

rope-a-dope

Do your best to pay attention to how other climbers climb. You will learn somthing new by observation alone.
But God, don't try something totally new or use any brand new gear the day of your competition. Focus on climbing YOUR best, using your own natural moves.
And throw line practice.
Aerial rescue is my favorite, but again, don't try to copy the most complicated technical rigging you see in the ring. Do the things you know best to get the dummy down. Simple, basic skills you've mastered, applied to the pretend scenario.
It's harder than you think to talk and climb and a lot of the points will come from your words, so practice verbals if you don't feel too self-conscious.
You'll be fine! Competitions have the ability to make you see your job a whole new way.

Last edited:

Muggs

I did one comp back in 2012, didn't come in last ;) The 6 minutes for throwline goes by really fast, get a timer and practice that time limit. And practice yelling 'clear' before each throw, that is not something I ever do on the jobsite!

For the aerial rescue, I found it very helpful to imagine the dummy was my friend Benny, and I kept calling it by that name. I think it helped me be more vocal and made it seem more real. I think that was my best event.

I never clip the end of my lanyard back to myself when I'm climbing, so that really seemed to slow me down in the work climb. I should have practiced that a lot more.

I was really annoyed with the footlock event because the scoring is based relative to the fastest time. There were a couple climbers there who couldn't even ring the bell, who deserved to get zero points for that event. But I also got zero points after getting to the top in 38 seconds, just because the fastest climber did it in 14 seconds. That scoring system doesn't make any sense to me. But I digress.

Crazy_Jimmy

Im thinking about doing my first competition climb this year, with the WC TCC event. Im contemplating on actually climbing though, because Ive actually never seen an event before, other than some vids online, but at the same time it looks like so much FUN! Don't want to have a bad experience though and not be prepared or fuck up bad. What are some of your recommendations on this? Either way Ill be attending but, would love to compete.
My first comp I competing in was before youtube and facebook , I just went in and did what the people in front of me did lol