First TCC

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had last spring in my first comp. Got second plaze in the throwline cause i managed to hit 3 point targets with both throwlines and got my ropes up also under 2 minuts. Only mist first plaze by one point. Lots of guys got 0 points because they would want to get the 9 pointers.
Absolutely ! Great !
3 pts for line + 1 for rope; 3 pts for second line + 1 for rope; 4 time points = 12 total

There are lots of points to be had if you understand the rules !

I frequently tell competitors:

1. Read the Rule Book.
2. Know the Rule Book.
3. Understand the Rule Book. (e.g. how to maximize points, with the time limit winding down)

TimBr

Absolutely ! Great !
3 pts for line + 1 for rope; 3 pts for second line + 1 for rope; 4 time points = 12 total

There are lots of points to be had if you understand the rules !

I frequently tell competitors:

1. Read the Rule Book.
2. Know the Rule Book.
3. Understand the Rule Book. (e.g. how to maximize points, with the time limit winding down)
Number 0.1 would be: Acquire the rule book. So, for newbees like myself and others, how does one acquire a copy of the rules? Is it available outside of the competition, or is signing up for a competition the only way to get a copy?

Thanks in advance for any answers you choose to give. This is mostly just idle curiosity, as I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to seriously consider doing it. It might be fun to attend one as a spectator, though, and if I did, it would be nice to have some understanding of what I'm looking at.

Tim

Last edited:

TimBr

I had last spring in my first comp. Got second plaze in the throwline cause i managed to hit 3 point targets with both throwlines and got my ropes up also under 2 minuts. Only mist first plaze by one point. Lots of guys got 0 points because they would want to get the 9 pointers.
Congratulations, Andrus! Nice going!

Tim

WaitakKauri

What a blast. Came dead last and loved it. I didn't go into his trying to get lots of points, I just wanted to have fun. Just climbing with people was fun! My hand injury still hurts, but a lot better today. I wasn'tsure I could even climb, and it was hard, but I made it.

Made some rookie mistakes and got a big flat zero points on the speed climb and footlock. I do need to read the rules through and understand the scoring. I wasn't able to attend the pre-competition workshop on Saturday so I missed out learning how the events are scored, etc.

On the speed climb I touched, but not used, the belay line and on 2nd touch you're out. Bummer. This was how our 3rd event after the throwline and work climb so I was happy my hand held up though it was started to swell more after this.

I have no idea what I did wrong on the foot lock, but zero points again. Maybe I forgot to ask for the belay. I kept my hands below the prussic and rang the bell fine. I was really nervous about the footlock. Never went higher than about 5m before and needed the training I hadn't had. Missed only one lock, the second, but got all he rest. Got a video of it and I'm getting about 1/3 the height per lock I should have so there's some easy gain to be had win technique. Made it in 1:27. Was happy with that for my first ever 15m footlock. I was the last one in my group and felt a massive rush to have made it. Bummer about zero points. I should have asked where I wentwrong, but I didn't know something went wrong to ask. Note to self, just ask for feedback from the officials after every event.

Throwline was ok, got a line on a 7pointer on the third through, but took a while to issolate. Got line in. Turns out I was stuck on a knoll on the far side that I couldn't see, but I noticed that, and tried to flick over it, but time was called. Didn't get second throw, but I'll read the rules as per @GregManning 's post above. Could have scored better.

I really enjoyed the work climb. I was just too slow, but was happy. My hitch was tight and I wasn't as smooth as I could be. I timed out, but can do much better next time. For fun, got the last hand bell and hit two feet on the bulls eye. Will have to practice for speed. I was adjusting my lanyard, when others just clipped and tapped - much faster, though they did adjust so there wasn't too much lanyard slack. I need to watch the ITCC videos closely. The tree was a big wide London plane with halve or more leaves fallen. Just a beaut or a tree. I'll go back to rec climb this again.

Rescue was ok, but my hand is getting to sore to type more. Timed out. Had a funny mistake on my base tie which ate too much time. Really need to practice moving faster in the tree for comps.

So a really great day. Awesome officials who were really helpful and so nice and welcoming. Current World and former World Champs present and happy to chat and help out, National Champ helping out the newbies and so much more. Competitors were just as great, everyone giving their all and happy to talk tactics, cheer on, and have a good handshake after an event. I really enjoyed my group with one guy placing fourth and just missing a trip to nationals. Hopefully he'll get a wildcard place. Also met some people who I might on some rec climbs.

I'll be sore tomorrow and tonight I'm tired, but what a great first TCC.

GregManning

Super Moderator
Staff member
Re: Footlock = 0
If they didn't tell you, you probably did nothing wrong except climb too slowly.
Both the Speed Climb & Footlock are "easy" to score zero.

The max. Speed Climb points is 20 pts; and is based on the fastest climb.
All slower times have 1 pt / 2 sec subtracted from 20 pts.
Therefore, 40 sec slower, equals "zero" pts.

Footlock is also a max. of 20 pts. based on fastest time.
All slower times have 1 pt / 1 sec, subtracted from 20 pts.
Therefore, 20 sec slower, equals "zero" pts.

Many chapters now report the actual times, in addition to points, on the overall score sheet summary.
Just for the climbers to better know how they did on a relative basis.

Now, you know the drill ...........................
Read the Rule Book. :)

WaitakKauri

Yes, that makes sense and my times are listed. The score sheet shows max 20 etc, so I have to get faster.

Yes, I will read the rules. Lesson learnt, I need to learn how the events are scored. Also will train next time. Injury aside, I need to train.

Thanks Greg!

oldfart

In my mind, the toughest part about trying to build your own APTA is having the ability to drill and tap a hole that is perfectly centered and perpendicular to the pipe, which is obviously a round surface.
Tim, I just picked up your post. Thank you very much for the kind words. Wow!

About drilling the hole, you don't have to. Check the vid "APTA Butterfly".

OF

TimBr

Hey Tim, I just got a Captain kit so I can't get an APTA now too, no gear fund for that and it's not on the needs list. I can't imagine how expensive that would be to ship here after the NZ dollar converts to USD.

However, I really like your thinking!
Hey, WaitakKauri! I just watched the video recommended to me by @oldfart. In it he shows all of the pieces/parts one needs to buy in order to make a really slick, powerful APTA, all with no drilling at all needed.

I'm going to attempt to post the link to his particular video just below this paragraph. You should definitely save his YouTube channel as a favorite place, though, because all of his videos are worth watching. Here's the link.

Also, congratulations on your first tree climbing competition. I'm glad you had such a good time.

Tim

P.S. Be sure to read the comments after the video. In there, Tom Hoffmann, AKA oldfart, provides details about the adapter needed to use the screw-on CO2 cartridges.

Last edited:
Yes, that makes sense and my times are listed. The score sheet shows max 20 etc, so I have to get faster.

Yes, I will read the rules. Lesson learnt, I need to learn how the events are scored. Also will train next time. Injury aside, I need to train.

Thanks Greg!
See, aren't you glad that you did it? Have you ever competed in an event and placed last yet walked away feeling fantastic? That's one of the special gifts of tree climbing and the events around it. Good for you. I hope this motivates you to return and stay involved.

WaitakKauri

See, aren't you glad that you did it? Have you ever competed in an event and placed last yet walked away feeling fantastic? That's one of the special gifts of tree climbing and the events around it. Good for you. I hope this motivates you to return and stay involved.
You're spot on. I am very glad I had a go. I want to get faster and do better. Next event is end of September, I'll be training and rocking up better prepared.

I don't think I've ever come last in anything, let alone something I like that's a sport. I was ecstatic just completing the footlock, my group's last rotation. I was really happy to have competed and I'm now determined to improve.

I know I already said this, but the event was extremely well organised and run and everyone was helpful and really nice. I enjoyed hanging with the men and women competing and all the support families and friends. My boys too enjoyed watching the event and doing the kids climb. Mark, you'll have met some of the Kiwi competitors, judges and technical crew that were there and know what I mean - the people are tops. I bet it's great like that at comps all over like you say.

Found some pics..
image.jpeg image.jpeg

My son got a footlock vid and I can see some massive gains to make with basic technique fixes. Glad I can see that what I though was OK, is really crap. Time for more core strength work too.

edit: removed an errant pic

Last edited: