First Chipper - Won't Start

PJPJ

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1988 Morbark Eeeger Beever Model 200 Wood Chipper. It was run by a municipality in its prior years. I am not familiar with these chippers or one this old as I have only ran smaller, newer gas chippers in the past. I am embarrassed because it could be the simplest thing.

It was running before I purchased it until I drove it home and cannot get this thing started. The catch is I did not get to start it, the seller started it so I did not see exactly how he did it.

It has a Cummins 4BT Diesel on it. I did check the battery and all seems to be good with that. Showing a full charge.

Below is a short video just giving an overview of the instrument panel.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

New2trees

Retired mechanic here, but no specific knowledge of the chipper, but just looking at your vid I can see no movement of any of the gauges on the cluster? So my first thoughts would be that there may be a bad connection between the battery and ignition switch or the switch itself my be bad.

Maybe someone with some experience can post something more helpful (could be something as simple as a safety switch) but if no one has any ideas I can walk you through how to use an 8 dollar meter to diagnose wiring/switch issues.

VenasNursery

Hello all,

I recently purchased a 1988 Morbark Eeeger Beever Model 200 Wood Chipper. It was run by a municipality in its prior years. I am not familiar with these chippers or one this old as I have only ran smaller, newer gas chippers in the past. I am embarrassed because it could be the simplest thing.

It was running before I purchased it until I drove it home and cannot get this thing started. The catch is I did not get to start it, the seller started it so I did not see exactly how he did it.

It has a Cummins 4BT Diesel on it. I did check the battery and all seems to be good with that. Showing a full charge.

Below is a short video just giving an overview of the instrument panel.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Make sure your clutch is disengaged

Reach

It looks to me like the key may be in the off position, or perhaps the key and the toggle switch must be turned at the same time? If the switch acts like the low oil pressure kill switch on the newer chippers that could be the case. Also, the pull-out knob above the key looks like it could be a kill switch, although the engine should still crank if that was in the wrong position.

Jehinten

Judging by no attempt to crank over and the gauges not moving you've likely skipped a safety switch or have a dead battery. The easiest course of action would be to call the seller and ask them to walk you through the start up over the phone.

Jehinten

I run a similar year chipper with the Cummins 4b3.9, although a different make and model. Start up on mine is to turn the key on, hold the Murphy switch and press the starter button.

PJPJ

Thank you all for the replies, it is much appreciated. So the silver knob above the key does nothing ... behind the cluster there are no wires going to that knob at all. Not sure why it is there.

I tried holding the on / off switch while turning the key at the same time but still getting nothing.

I tested the battery and it is holding a full charge.

When I get a chance I will check ground and more wiring, it just is weird how it started before I brought it home and now all of a sudden, nothing.

If the clutch is engaged, will I still get any power at all? Are there any electronics in the clutch? I doubt it being so old but obviously I don’t know much about these machines.

PJPJ

I run a similar year chipper with the Cummins 4b3.9, although a different make and model. Start up on mine is to turn the key on, hold the Murphy switch and press the starter button.
Hi Jehinten,

I do not think there is a murphy switch on my cluster

Jehinten

Hi Jehinten,

I do not think there is a murphy switch on my cluster

There may not be, as that might be something that woodchuck (my chipper) added.

The ground is a good place to check, the wire on mine needs to be cleaned periodically at the battery connection. Without cleaning, it will barely try to turn over.

PJPJ

There may not be, as that might be something that woodchuck (my chipper) added.

The ground is a good place to check, the wire on mine needs to be cleaned periodically at the battery connection. Without cleaning, it will barely try to turn over.
I am going to check wiring tomorrow and see what I can find. Thanks a lot

evo

Hold the toggle switch to the right as you turn the key.
The one I used was spring loaded, after the engine turns over then release the toggle.
Also the morbark I used from the same era (same engine) would have fits with the wiring. Lots of vibe and fine dust. A couple wiggles of the panel while holding the toggle and turning the key would typically fix it for about a week.
The only difference I see from the one I used was the toggle was oriented up and down, and it lacked that round knob above the key

PJPJ

Sounds good. I will give it a go and see what happens. I think it is a wiring issue because I would think I would hear a click or gauges moving etc. when I turn key but I am getting absolutely nothing.

Look for condensation or other moisture around the battery and make sure it is dry. Clean both battery terminals then spray with battery protector. Check the connectors, even if they look fine, and/or wiggle the wires (especially at strain points) before trying to start again. If still nothing and you are sure you haven’t missed a safety switch, start chasing the hot lead with a multimeter checking for broken wires.

PJPJ

Hold the toggle switch to the right as you turn the key.
The one I used was spring loaded, after the engine turns over then release the toggle.
Also the morbark I used from the same era (same engine) would have fits with the wiring. Lots of vibe and fine dust. A couple wiggles of the panel while holding the toggle and turning the key would typically fix it for about a week.
The only difference I see from the one I used was the toggle was oriented up and down, and it lacked that round knob above the key
The round knob above the key does absolutely nothing. If you look at the wiring behind it there is nothing going to / from it. I am not sure why it is there... Must of been something they used back in the day and no use for it now?

PJPJ

Look for condensation or other moisture around the battery and make sure it is dry. Clean both battery terminals then spray with battery protector. Check the connectors, even if they look fine, and/or wiggle the wires (especially at strain points) before trying to start again. If still nothing and you are sure you haven’t missed a safety switch, start chasing the hot lead with a multimeter checking for broken wires.
Will do. Thanks for the help. I will keep everyone posted.