Finally joined the crane gang..

Discussion in 'Crane Use' started by islandedge, Jun 30, 2017.

1. LiTreeService

LiTreeService Member

How much you want for it?

2. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

I'll call you today later on..

3. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

They want to push the gmt saw.. Any experience/feedback from anybody? I know @Lumberjack ran one on a excavator.

4. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

I just don't know about having it drop with a branch and not being able to lift (tilt) it back up to say clear a roof or such with a gmt unit..

5. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Well-Known Member

After having both, and having a knuckle boom... I'd go with the Mecanil.

Mark Chisholm likes this.
  6. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

I was just venting not selling lol.. It took me a while to find this setup. It's real short for getting into tight area's and has unique options. Will let you know..

LiTreeService likes this.
  7. LiTreeService

LiTreeService Member

Message me anytime. Had my eye on that truck before you snatched lol.

8. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

The truck is for sale guys. I have it listed in the tree Bay section

Mark Chisholm and Levi.CO like this.
  9. Carolinatreeco

Carolinatreeco Member

So what are you going to get once it's sold?

10. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

Too early to tell

11. Carolinatreeco

Carolinatreeco Member

No ideas? How big? What style? I'm interested to see what everyone does!

12. Courierguy

Courierguy Active Member

It's been a while since I've posted, but I had to chime in after seeing your post. That is one fine looking outfit! I now have a counterweight also, though the rig was properly set up when I bought it (certified with LMI calibtrated) working at 2 to 4 o clock or 8 to 10 (noon being front) much past 70-75' out my built in sensor in my butt clenched up, it felt unstable, though my LMI said "go a little further, it's cool!" I'm sure it was fine.....just like the bow in the boom of my old Manitex 101S when still well below max, just the way it was. BUT, after noticing the row of threaded holes on the rear of the turret, and then seeing a picture of a 1300 WITH a counter weight, I got educated on the subject.

Wow, now it is rock solid all the way out, at any degree of rotation, it really made this crane a performer. I don't do tree work, but I do everything else, and this thing rocks. SO easy to run smoothly, especially after the older 101S, I had a couple guys up in the manbasket at 140' on a cell tower, between the antennas sort of, and was asked to swing left 12" or 18". With the Manitex I would have laughed out loud on hearing that, I would have had to boom up to get them clear, swing, and then if I was where they wanted boom them back in. With the National (not dissing Manitex, more about how cool pilot controls are I guess) I told them, "sure, no problem," it has such fine and easy to manage controls.

I have been extending my oil change intervals out, the big Mack engine takes 56 frigging qts. to change, but my oil lab tells me to go to 750 hours next time before a change! I was at 400, that looked so good they said go 550, then they said go further! Plus, it doesn't use ANY oil, so far anyway, between changes. I actually asked a pro mechanic if I was reading the dipstick correctly, and sure enough it just doesn't seem to use any oil at all in hundreds of hours. Plus it has a real deep ballsy exhaust sound, unique to the big Macks I'm told. The only thing I don't like so far after well over 1000 hours of operating (and driving, many of my jobs are 1 to 3 hours one way away) this crane/truck combo, is looking at a dogs asshole all day. 9-7-15 029.JPG

deevo likes this.
  13. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

20171127_132944_Film3.jpg 20171127_143746_Film3.jpg Hey guys it's been awhile since I've posted here on my original post.. Anyways I want to wish everybody a Merry Christmas.
    I do want to update the status of my knuckle boom with the grapple saw, that many of you have asked me about. Going the treemek route was the best step I've tooken since being in the tree biz. It's changed the way i operate my business, and has eliminated 2 guys off my crew. (contract climber being the expensive one). I literally go to work with just one simple ground guy that has the duty to chip and rake and make a few cuts in a day. @Gerasimek was saying this is the way he operates and i find myself replicating what he does. Reason iam writing this is to give feedback to many that may be on the line of doing this but don't know if its going to work out like the few mek owners claim. Many probably don't have anyone near to go check one out and don't want to take a trip to go see one in operation. I do believe it's the future for those that can belive they aren't getting younger. @Jerad Oren said in another post "In less than 8 years 50% of tree work will be done with these machines." I don't know how much time it will really take. However just from running it from the last 2 months i realize things are different. Heres what I've come up with for the pros:
    I have less stress from dealing with guys and there's more money in my pocket at the end of each day, the bucket truck barely gets used anymore, the mini stays at the yard quite often now, the swinger was no longer needed (sold it) i could go on.. The cons: you tend to get cold from only running a remote all day in cold temps, and its made even the groundy more lazy. Lol . any question, just ask.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    oceans, DOOLEY and deevo like this.
  14. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

I forgot to mention but i still do lot clearings and trim work, i just realize majority of my work is residential removals. I always just try to push the trim work towards fall. We utilize a small spider lift for most of the trim work. The bucket will probably end up getting sold in the spring.

15. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

eastsidetimber likes this.
  16. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

I can take down huge trees with just one ground guy. No need for a crew to dismantle large trees anymore. @eastsidetimber there's more options as far as brands go but like i said in the pm message u need to go with someone that can stand behind their work.

eastsidetimber likes this.
  17. islandedge

islandedge Active Member

18. SuperK

SuperK Active Member

Is that a flying stick lol, awesome to see more tree mek users, a lot of initial up front cost but if you have the work seems to pay for itself in all the pros you listed!

islandedge likes this.
  19. Gerasimek

Gerasimek Member

It's a beautiful thing. I'm glad to see you reaping the benefits. It takes some guys a little longer than others to make cuts in employees and equipment. Probably because it's so hard to believe the things I've said in my early forums. Many people probably thought I was full of it. Glad to see it's paying off so quickly for you. Congrats.