Final (really) CT RollNLock test and Zig Zag / Rope Wrench thoughts

yoyoman

Well-Known Member
#1
#3
From what I've seen and read, the issue with the RW and ZZ in SRT is orientation causing wear that it wasn't designed for, especially as the RW tends not to engage fast enough or really pull up enough on the top hole of the ZZ to keep it properly oriented. I think what could make this work properly would be a different device that makes it more DMRT-like. One where the rope is routed through a pulley right above the top hole of the ZZ to get the proper vertical tension on the ZZ. Then around an adjustable pulley to set the bend friction level, up a fishing pole/crane type arm with another pulley at the top to orient the rope right above the links of the ZZ. Could stabilize it by making the frame sandwich the two holes on the ZZ so that your bridge carabiner steadied the bottom hole and maybe a slic pin for the top.
 

Burrapeg

Well-Known Member
#5
. . . especially as the RW tends not to engage fast enough or really pull up enough on the top hole of the ZZ to keep it properly oriented. . .
Here is what I was climbing on SRT before I got my BDB from Gordon. Worked quite well actually and the ZZ released very smoothly, which was a problem when used alone without the wrench. My homebrew wrench is not midline attachable but of course neither is the ZZ. But the DIY wrench engaged immediately due to a short piece of bungee (white arrow in photo) which pulled it up with just enough tension but not enough that it inhibited advancing. Both bollards in the wrench are contoured to fit the rope, not simple cylinders, so almost no flattening effect. Also I did not use the ZZ swivel due to it sideloading. The twin aluminum tether could probably be shortened a few inches but about that time is when I bought my midline attachable Bone (Thanks Gordon!).
blob.jpg
 

SomethingWitty

Well-Known Member
#7
Here is what I was climbing on SRT before I got my BDB from Gordon. Worked quite well actually and the ZZ released very smoothly, which was a problem when used alone without the wrench. My homebrew wrench is not midline attachable but of course neither is the ZZ. But the DIY wrench engaged immediately due to a short piece of bungee (white arrow in photo) which pulled it up with just enough tension but not enough that it inhibited advancing. Both bollards in the wrench are contoured to fit the rope, not simple cylinders, so almost no flattening effect. Also I did not use the ZZ swivel due to it sideloading. The twin aluminum tether could probably be shortened a few inches but about that time is when I bought my midline attachable Bone (Thanks Gordon!).
View attachment 49499
You are a handy fellow. That looks great.
 

Burrapeg

Well-Known Member
#8
You are a handy fellow. That looks great.
Thanks for the kind words. I admit to being a confirmed tinkerer! It is not too bad a job cobbling some of this together. All it takes to do some neat stuff with aluminium is a drill press and a small band saw with a fine tooth blade. And you might even get by without the drill press if you are good with a hand electric or cordless drill. Most of the metal I have ever used comes from digging in the bins at the local recycle yard.
 
Top