Final (really) CT RollNLock test and Zig Zag / Rope Wrench thoughts

Discussion in 'Climber's Talk' started by yoyoman, Feb 13, 2018.

1. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

2. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

The Roll 'N Lock that would not die....
    :risas:

yoyoman likes this.
  3. GreenstoneVT

GreenstoneVT Member

From what I've seen and read, the issue with the RW and ZZ in SRT is orientation causing wear that it wasn't designed for, especially as the RW tends not to engage fast enough or really pull up enough on the top hole of the ZZ to keep it properly oriented. I think what could make this work properly would be a different device that makes it more DMRT-like. One where the rope is routed through a pulley right above the top hole of the ZZ to get the proper vertical tension on the ZZ. Then around an adjustable pulley to set the bend friction level, up a fishing pole/crane type arm with another pulley at the top to orient the rope right above the links of the ZZ. Could stabilize it by making the frame sandwich the two holes on the ZZ so that your bridge carabiner steadied the bottom hole and maybe a slic pin for the top.

4. yoyoman

yoyoman Well-Known Member

Gots to have a Slic pin, ain't nobody with that one of those.

5. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Active Member

Here is what I was climbing on SRT before I got my BDB from Gordon. Worked quite well actually and the ZZ released very smoothly, which was a problem when used alone without the wrench. My homebrew wrench is not midline attachable but of course neither is the ZZ. But the DIY wrench engaged immediately due to a short piece of bungee (white arrow in photo) which pulled it up with just enough tension but not enough that it inhibited advancing. Both bollards in the wrench are contoured to fit the rope, not simple cylinders, so almost no flattening effect. Also I did not use the ZZ swivel due to it sideloading. The twin aluminum tether could probably be shortened a few inches but about that time is when I bought my midline attachable Bone (Thanks Gordon!).
    blob.jpg

6. Sawtooth

Sawtooth New Member

7. SomethingWitty

SomethingWitty Well-Known Member

You are a handy fellow. That looks great.

8. Burrapeg

Burrapeg Active Member

Thanks for the kind words. I admit to being a confirmed tinkerer! It is not too bad a job cobbling some of this together. All it takes to do some neat stuff with aluminium is a drill press and a small band saw with a fine tooth blade. And you might even get by without the drill press if you are good with a hand electric or cordless drill. Most of the metal I have ever used comes from digging in the bins at the local recycle yard.

SomethingWitty likes this.