Filter That Fuel!

I wanted to do a quick post on how to add a proper fuel filter to trucks or equipment. If you already have a system or know how this is not meant to be an insult. I just wanted to post some part numbers for those who are inclined to do this for themselves.

On most anything diesel you have a very similar system. Fuel pickup (maybe with a strainer on it), fuel lift pump (LP), fuel filter, injection pump (IP) and a return line.

What I do on all my trucks is remove the filter sock on the pickup tube. Them I install a 12 micron fuel water separator between the tank and the LP. This will protect the LP and allow you to replace the filter when it gets plugged up.

I use a NAPA 3123 filter and a NAPA 4309 filter base. The base is 1/2 NTP. I use 1/2 NTP to 3/8 barb fittings. The fuel pump takes a 3/8 flare to 3/8 NTP adapter. Then NTP to barb. Cut off the old flare on the fuel line, de burr, and slip the 3/8 rubber line over the line.

This one mod will protect your IP for years to come. I recently got a bad batch of fuel with a lot of water and having the extra filters kept the water from getting to the IP.

As an extra measure of protection, but is unnecessary, I add a 2 micron fuel filter after the LP and before the IP. This replaces the factory 6 micron fuel water separator.

No excuses. These mods are cheap. I installed each filter and base for around $40. Change both filters yearly and you guys will be set. I can say doing this mod is far less work than changing an injection pump in your driveway. Been there, done that.

I think the U.S. Army had the right idea with standardizing equipment. That is why all of my trucks take the same 2 fuel filters and the same oil filter. I buy filters by the case every other year. It saves a lot of money. Compare both filters for around $22 with $40 plus for a single GM filter. With spin on filters you take all the contamination with the filter. The factory filters that are removed from the housing require you to clean the housing before installing a new filter.

pctree

I really like this thread!

Maybe we should start one about equipment maintenance. Do any of you guys run bypass filters? I put them on as much as I can as it keeps your oil 100% clean at all times

Another great tip is if you have huie (spelling) injectors put hotshot secret stiction eliminator in your oil. I had 2 chip trucks running like shot too themoon point where they were unprovable, both had 3126 in them . 1 treatment of hotshot in the oil and they are back to 100%

I really like this thread!

Maybe we should start one about equipment maintenance. Do any of you guys run bypass filters? I put them on as much as I can as it keeps your oil 100% clean at all times

Another great tip is if you have huie (spelling) injectors put hotshot secret stiction eliminator in your oil. I had 2 chip trucks running like shot too themoon point where they were unprovable, both had 3126 in them . 1 treatment of hotshot in the oil and they are back to 100%
I don't run bypass filters, but I change my oil often. This is the easiest way to keep the engine running well. If you change it before it begins to break down and sludge, it will help remove gunk. If you wait too long it had the reverse effect.

I change the oil in my daily driver, 93 Chevy with a 6.5L diesel, every 2500 miles with rotella 15-40. It always comes out dark but it never feels gritty or like it has lost lubricity. Some people might think 2500 miles is crazy but I live in a sauna and I drive the truck hard.

pctree

I have too many big engines I cant imagine changing oil every 2500. I run synthetic with a bypass filter and change once a year. Oil doesn't loose its lubricity just gets contaminated, filter it down to 3 microns and you can keep on keeping on.....

I have too many big engines I cant imagine changing oil every 2500. I run synthetic with a bypass filter and change once a year. Oil doesn't loose its lubricity just gets contaminated, filter it down to 3 microns and you can keep on keeping on.....
I hear you. The 6.5 only takes 8 quarts. My oil changes are less than $30. When I swap it out for a 6bt I will be running full synthetic and probably a bypass filter.

Bypass filter make a lot of sense with high oil capacity engines and expensive synthetic oil.