Fifi Aluminum Hook from Wesspur

SomethingWitty

Jason Diehl mentioned this thing this weekend as the tending part of a harness that has the rated ventral stuff so that you're not wearing a standard chest harness. He said it just pivots left to right and hooks and unhooks pretty effortlessly.

I was also already a few in, so don't quote me, but I think he sounded pretty excited about it. I would assume he has an account here, but I don't know it.

in the rock climbing world you would set the hook and then you'd have a retrieval line in the small hole so when you unload it you'd pull the retrieval line it would rotate the Hook and drop off your anchor

Burrapeg

in the rock climbing world you would set the hook and then you'd have a retrieval line in the small hole so when you unload it you'd pull the retrieval line it would rotate the Hook and drop off your anchor
I wonder if that would work with the Captain as well? To have a small retrieval line on the little biner hole in the top of it, when you use it to descend back down on a long lanyard in a tree crowded with limbs so that you did not have space to flick it back off afterwards?

Burrapeg

I LOVE mine! They are easy to manipulate on and off a limb after a little practice down on the ground. They say they are not rated life support but they are easily as well made and strong as most everything else we are using. I don't have any hesitancy to hang from mine. Only issue to watch is they will slide sideways on a limb that slopes downward.

evo

I don't see why you couldn't use this as a poor mans grapple. Throw it over a limb and whip a loop under the hook to choke it. Not ideal and probably wouldnt retrieve.

Tuebor

Seems too light at a half ounce (aluminum version) to be using as a throwing hook. Opening might be too small as well.

Brocky

I tried using them before the Hook, and they are small and too light to snag with a bight of rope. The fifi has to be orientated just right to hook the rope, and it usually was pushed away by the rope instead. When it was on a branch, the sharp edges tore the bark easily. They are also used in rock climbing for a temporary attachment to an anchor point for resting.

Just picked one of these up for easy on/off chainsaw stowage... Works ok for the price. Have wondered about other application. Do those of you using these for positioning on rope, feel that the edges/ bend radius of the hook are gentle enough on your climb line?

Brocky

They're very thin, so bad bend radius. Usually the edges are only slightly rounded. They might be okay for temporary use that way, if there wasn't a lot of movement to allow them to saw through the rope.

Burrapeg

Got a chance to try this today, a controlled Hook retrieval from the ground. The throw line goes over a branch above the Hook before getting attached to it.

Just lift it off the branch and lower.
Cool! Are you using the same throw line to set the hook in the first place?