Fetish

Leif

Anybody else have a chainsaw fetish. I don't need another saw at all, at least not right now, but man, the sight of a brand new saw with its first tank of fuel. I wonder if there is a twelve-step program for this. /forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif

rborist1

It's an addiction...............I only am interested in the power ported varieties though. I just got 3 more so I am good to go for awhile. /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wct4life

rborist, did you have to send your saws off to be ported? Or did you tell the guy what kind of saws you wanted and he bought 'em? I have a 359 and 350 that I've been thinking about doing something special with..... /forum/images/graemlins/spinrhead.gif

Leif

How noticeably different are the modified saws? What's the cost? I'm glad I'm not the only one (with a fetish/addiction), not that I thought I was. What I need is 5 or 10 of you to convince me that its good business to buy a saw whenever the feeling arises! /forum/images/graemlins/applaudit.gif

rborist1

[ QUOTE ]
rborist, did you have to send your saws off to be ported? Or did you tell the guy what kind of saws you wanted and he bought 'em? I have a 359 and 350 that I've been thinking about doing something special with..... /forum/images/graemlins/spinrhead.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have had both new and used saws done. Gains can be anywhere from 20%-50%+, it all depends on the model of saw and the builder. This last batch were all purchased new and "performance enhanced" by "da Man". I have had numerous saws and power poles "performance enhanced" by 3 different builders now. This last batch are real strong out of the box and they will keep gaining for quite some time to come. So until they are all broken in I won't say who my favorite builder is, I am however leaning heavily towards one.

Leif

Keep us posted, the reason I started this thread was because I wanted to buy another saw. Anyway, looking at either a Stihl 361 or Husky 357 XP. It'd be cool to have it tuned. Can you give us a rough idea what the tuning costs.
/forum/images/graemlins/cool.gifLeif

rb_in_va

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a Stihl, I say go for it! /forum/images/graemlins/bling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you say that?

jerseywild

Buy yourself that new sthil and put the old one up on ebay. Tell your wife that you are just trying to lower the maintenance cost on the old ones. Who wants to replace that sprocket anyway. /forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Just be sure and let everyone know when you put up your old one. /forum/images/graemlins/applaudit.gif

rb_in_va

[ QUOTE ]
Umm, cause I love Stihl ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering. I thought maybe you were going to say that only a modded Stihl would be able to keep up with a stock Husky or something like that. /forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Umm, cause I love Stihl ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering. I thought maybe you were going to say that only a modded Stihl would be able to keep up with a stock Husky or something like that. /forum/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Riiiiight. I would, but ,my Mother reads these posts sometimes and would swat me if I lied! /forum/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

While visiting family in a po-dunk town in southern IL., I found myself acting like a salesman for stihl.
I was browsing around the chainsaw section of the Rural King ( which is the town's only/best hardware store), it has about 95% Stihl saws on their shelves. An elderly man came into the isle of saws, and walked away 2 seconds later. He returned with an employee asking him "where's all yer Echo's"?
Apparently the store switched dealers not long ago, and some people aren't familiar with Stihl. The employee just told the old guy "Sorry, that's all we have.", and left him standing there looking disappointed. This is where I come in.
The poor old man had this hopeless look on his face. So I told the guy that I'd been using them everyday for the last five years, and there are a couple of brands just as good, but none better. I heard someone say once that saws are like cars. Some people love Chevy, some Toyota. I drive a Dodge just cuz that's how it worked out. Any dealer can make a lemmon too.
Anyway, I was bored, so I started trying to sell the guy on the MS 460 (God I love that saw). He was looking for something a little smaller though. Chainsaws are almost as big a necessity in that town as lawnmowers, so the guy most likely ended up with a Stihl.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Where are they modded at? USA? I've not heard of that one yet.

Anyone have a modded MS 200T? I spoke to one guy in Ohio that did them himself, but never heard from him again?

jerseywild

His modded 200 probably blew him out of the tree.
I keep thinking of Home improvment when I hear about a modded saw.
/forum/images/graemlins/9lame.gif

sawmeister

Campbell River BC. These saws are built by a retired engineer/tuner that built race bikes for Eddie Lawson, 4-time World champion Formula-1 500 cc roadracer.I have tried them with a 33" Oregon bar running 3/8-058. Makes a Walkerized 395 look like a Homelite XL-12. Unbelievable, and super smooth.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
Interesting. Maybe I'll ask Paul to swing by there (he's in BC) /forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Is there a website for him and his saw works?

Jabbs, who modded your saws and where's the mpegs?

jerseywild

Just like anything else there has to be a trade off. With higher performace the reliability has to drop off. Of course if you can do it yourself this won't be a problem.