Feedback Please

Steve Connally

Need some serious feedback on the 1st cut. Color matching and audio tweaks still need to be done. What I'm asking is to look at this video with the prospective that you really don't think this truck is as efficient as a cable crane and see if there is anything in the video that solidifies your opinion. If I haven't shown a reason to not hire this truck then the video has accomplished the goal. Since work has slowed for me in a big way I'm hoping this will help me capture the companies in my market who haven't used me. All honest feedback is appreciated. Don't worry about hurt feelings. I'm truly asking for your feedback and appreciate any time you are willing to give to help me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zor5rrjnjfj0iky/AAS 1st Cut Log Revision 3.m4v?dl=0

monkeylove

I watched it a few times Steve and all the points you make are valid to me, but like you and many others on here who have been to Pete's class we have all experienced both systems in action. One of the things you did not mention was the safety aspect. Cable cranes still require a climber in the tree for all but the final cut. With the Grapple Saw setup you can reduce or eliminate the amount of time a climber has to be in the tree. Less wear and tear on the climber and his feet are on the ground where it is safer.

pigwot

Nice drone footage, too. I like your approach, and in the midst of all the EAB ash tree decline, the climber safety point really should be reiterated. Well done!

cerviarborist

Very stable member
I would focus on pointing out that you are offering a new game-changing technology which allows more efficient removal of trees which can't simply be felled due to target constraints. I might even opine that it's faster than removing and then bucking and loading a felled tree.

I'd remove any verbiage concerning things your rig "can't" do.....If the job isn't right, you can tell a caller that on the phone, but you want them to call you anyway. Certainly don't mention competing companies by name in a video advertisement for your company.

Just accentuate the positives and show what your rig can do. Show video which demonstrates it at work in the particular niches where it excels. Show a time lapse of removal of an entire tree. Show pieces being handled with complete control over high value targets. Yes you take smaller cuts, but you have one stand alone machine processing the entire tree. Lead with that.

Best of luck to you!

Steve Connally

I watched it a few times Steve and all the points you make are valid to me, but like you and many others on here who have been to Pete's class we have all experienced both systems in action. One of the things you did not mention was the safety aspect. Cable cranes still require a climber in the tree for all but the final cut. With the Grapple Saw setup you can reduce or eliminate the amount of time a climber has to be in the tree. Less wear and tear on the climber and his feet are on the ground where it is safer.
I know. I thought about that after the fact

Steve Connally

I would focus on pointing out that you are offering a new game-changing technology which allows more efficient removal of trees which can't simply be felled due to target constraints. I might even opine that it's faster than removing and then bucking and loading a felled tree.

I'd remove any verbiage concerning things your rig "can't" do.....If the job isn't right, you can tell a caller that on the phone, but you want them to call you anyway. Certainly don't mention competing companies by name in a video advertisement for your company.

Just accentuate the positives and show what your rig can do. Show video which demonstrates it at work in the particular niches where it excels. Show a time lapse of removal of an entire tree. Show pieces being handled with complete control over high value targets. Yes you take smaller cuts, but you have one stand alone machine processing the entire tree. Lead with that.

Best of luck to you!
Thanks so much for the input. I have removed one of the can't do statements. As far as mentioning the other companies. Yeah I get that but unfortunately I said it during the interview and I think it might be tough to cut out at this point. Honestly i'm not competition to them anyway. I'm in a residential suburban/urban market. Hardly anything gets felled. Unfortunately we decided the attention time span we are shooting for is about 3 to 4 minutes. I just don't have time to fit all the great ideas you are giving me into the video. You've given me much to think about and I appreciate it.

Jehinten

Not sure if you go from jobsite to jobsite in a day, ahead of a clean up crew, but if so showing how you stage debris for optimal efficiency in cleanup may be a good idea. This could lead companies to not only hire you for that one big job, but to help them knock out 3-4 jobs off their list in one day, that would normally take them a day per job.

One quick clip of you loading up to leave as the chip truck pulls up to a row of brush already sized for the chipper and all the buts at the edge of the road, would really help show efficiency for a smaller company.

Steve Connally

My thinking when I did the video wasn’t necessarily on the safety aspect. It is important however I think the focus on money and how I can help them make more is the key. There are lots of bad trees in my area and Buisness owners have no problem looking in the mirror forcing their climbers into trees the shouldn’t be. I’ve been in this particular market for a long time. I also don’t want to give the illusion it’s problem free. Sometimes stuff falls out of even the healthiest trees so those crispy ones are slow gentle and a challenge. Believe me I totally understand your safety approach. From a climbers prospective it’s an easy sell. I’m appealing to the biz owners who are usually driven by the dollar and see things like this as an unnecessary cost not a way to make more money

Steve Connally

Not sure if you go from jobsite to jobsite in a day, ahead of a clean up crew, but if so showing how you stage debris for optimal efficiency in cleanup may be a good idea. This could lead companies to not only hire you for that one big job, but to help them knock out 3-4 jobs off their list in one day, that would normally take them a day per job.

One quick clip of you loading up to leave as the chip truck pulls up to a row of brush already sized for the chipper and all the buts at the edge of the road, would really help show efficiency for a smaller company.
That’s a great idea. I do that occasionally but not very often. I wish I could do a 10 minute video and be able to show all these things and keep the attention of the person watching.

Steve Connally

Here's the parameters I was given. 3 minutes, show the truck, show what it does, tell them how it makes money for the primary contractor. Thats an extremely difficult thing to do. My interview was 11 minutes long and he only took 2 minutes of me talking.

pctree

Don't talk about how stick cranes can take bigger pics. Idiot business owners will see that as quicker which they equate to more money. Stick to telling why your rig is better and safer, quick setup which means less down time. Easier on driveways etc

Sell your crane not others

Steve Connally

Don't talk about how stick cranes can take bigger pics. Idiot business owners will see that as quicker which they equate to more money. Stick to telling why your rig is better and safer, quick setup which means less down time. Easier on driveways etc

Sell your crane not others
Gotcha Thanks Paul if you're crane ever has a lengthy PM i'll run up and we can knuckle boom some stuff

Baja Mike

Love the video, I watched it a couple times. I would cut out the very intro part and start it with the shot of the Tree and the building. Also turn down the music volume a touch it was hard for me to focus on what you were saying. I do like the music though.
Only focus on positives. And explain how the cycle times are very fast and most times you don’t even need a climber on site.
Highlight safe and low impact tree removal.
And how a typical stick crane wrecking crew has 5 people on it ( Crane op,climber, and 3 ground guys and how you can do the job with just one other guy).
So their saving on 3 guys and the workman’s comp. If you sell it just right they will believe they should be paying more.
Oh and the ability to set up where no stick crane can go and ease and speed of setup saves a lot of time.
I wish you the best
I just bought one myself. It is truly a game changer.
Tree mek for life

Steve Connally

Love the video, I watched it a couple times. I would cut out the very intro part and start it with the shot of the Tree and the building. Also turn down the music volume a touch it was hard for me to focus on what you were saying. I do like the music though.
Only focus on positives. And explain how the cycle times are very fast and most times you don’t even need a climber on site.
Highlight safe and low impact tree removal.
And how a typical stick crane wrecking crew has 5 people on it ( Crane op,climber, and 3 ground guys and how you can do the job with just one other guy).
So their saving on 3 guys and the workman’s comp. If you sell it just right they will believe they should be paying more.
Oh and the ability to set up where no stick crane can go and ease and speed of setup saves a lot of time.
I wish you the best
I just bought one myself. It is truly a game changer.
Tree mek for life
Thanks so much for the feedback and congrats on your purchase

flyingsquirrel25

Great videography. Looks great as a selling video if that's what you are looking to do with it. If you are using it to sell your truck, skip the stick crane stuff, you will just loose work. Each has its area to shine, focus on yours. You convinced me the stick crane is our ticket. Not to argue the pluses and minuses of either but many of your assumptions on crew size are incorrect if the crews are well equipped and know what they are doing. I, however, do think you should touch on safety. As a primary contractor safety of my crew is paramount. Just remember you reduce exposure in portion of the job and open up other hazards. Don't promise safer work sites, and not deliver. Nice video!

Steve Connally

How do I convince you a stick crane is the best choice? You're splitting hairs on my assumptions of crew sizes. Been around the block once at least. I've worked with great crews and awful crews. Don't promise safer work sites and not deliver-I have no clue what you're saying. My market has no idea this thing even exists. Stick crane is a reference because its all they know and the first thing they are gonna ask. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

flyingsquirrel25

How do I convince you a stick crane is the best choice? You're splitting hairs on my assumptions of crew sizes. Been around the block once at least and I know what it takes. Seems you're assuming I don't. I've worked with great crews and awful crews. Don't promise safer work sites and not deliver-I have no clue what you're saying. My market has no idea this thing even exists. Stick crane is a reference because its all they know and the first thing they are gonna ask. Thanks for the feedback although it does make me feel like I should know nothing about crane work.
Steve,
My comments are with the utmost respect and assuming nothing but what was stated in your interview. Maybe you didn't convince me of the stick crane but I am certainly not sold on the kboom/saw set up and the video didn't convince me otherwise. We run with a cable stick crane regularly with a 3 man crew (plus op) and we can efficiently and safely dismantle or prune a tree (Until recently we did it regularly with a climber and ground guy). So the man power thing isn't a selling point to me.
I am super happy for your success, and you have a beautiful truck. My feed back is simple and maybe I should have said it this way;
it seems/sounds like you are trying to convince business owners such as myself (in your area of course) that the kboom is superior. Simply put I'm not convinced. No offence meant, implied or even thought about. Just from a marketing stand point it fell short of its implied purpose.

Steve Connally

Steve,
My comments are with the utmost respect and assuming nothing but what was stated in your interview. Maybe you didn't convince me of the stick crane but I am certainly not sold on the kboom/saw set up and the video didn't convince me otherwise. We run with a cable stick crane regularly with a 3 man crew (plus op) and we can efficiently and safely dismantle or prune a tree (Until recently we did it regularly with a climber and ground guy). So the man power thing isn't a selling point to me.
I am super happy for your success, and you have a beautiful truck. My feed back is simple and maybe I should have said it this way;
it seems/sounds like you are trying to convince business owners such as myself (in your area of course) that the kboom is superior. Simply put I'm not convinced. No offence meant, implied or even thought about. Just from a marketing stand point it fell short of its implied purpose.
Gotcha. I am not shooting for selling it as superior for sure. It’s just a different option. Having been in this market for many moons I know the ability of many companies to do efficient stick crane work. It’s an education thing. They do it they way they’ve always done it and it’s not as efficient as it could be. Even crews I’ve worked with that have been doing it for years. I also know many of the crane ops cringe when they get a job ticket for a tree job. Having said that I just want to be recognized as an option. All I want is for them to know what I can do and consider if it fits into their job plan. I’ve done enough crane work and used this truck long enough to have a realistic assessment of where it shines and it doesn’t. I just want them to know I’m not sellng it as the silver bullet for all crane work. It is great when you have no manpower or want a job done while most of the crew is working another job. I appreciate your prospective

Steve Connally

I guess the bottom line is I’ve only been able to make a solid contact with 50% of the companies in my area. Just trying to increase the potential client base. Things have dipped off a bit. I had my second best month last month but I’m scrambling for work weekly. All of the 13 companies I’ve worked for have used me multiple times. I’m just trying to figure out my slump because everyone has plenty of work. There are multiple factors that have little to do with me or the truck but I’m still left wondering why am I not busier? May very well have nothing to do with money or practicality of the equipment, or it may have everything to do with it. Wish I knew. So here I am trying to do everything I can to run a successful single man biz with a solid overhead.