falling challenge big tulip through deck

Daniel

I looked at this big tulip poplar last week... Growing through the deck... another company wanted 7 K to remove that and the oak behind it (leaning towards the house). Tulip leans a little to the house too, and looks like it was topped a long time ago... probably 110-120' tall (I should get a rangefinder)...

Other company was going to get a crane involved.. driveway is steep and they'll need to cut another $1,000 tree just to make the corner and have access ... My idea is to drop the big ulip in the woods... only opening in the canopy is not quite 45 degrees... off the deck, so in order to throw it past the deck it's going to need to travel a lot of feet forward off the stump which I could cut 10-25 above the deck... To make matters even more challenging, they are working on the septic system below the deck and I would need to build a bridge to make sure the tulip but doesn't land on top of the tank...

I was thinking of trying to spin the trunk counter clockwise as to falls hoping that spin off to the side away from the deck and some forward movement is enough to clear the deck.... I've also got another idea for how to get the butt to move sideways during the fall.. wondering what you would suggest...

I haven't even put a bid in and was stand-offish with the client. The job is a little far from my usual area and a steep driveway over 400' to the house... I'd really like to put a bid in to just drop everything in the woods and walk.. that last one spoiled me.. CLient is dumping a ton of $ into the house and he would like to save some $ on the trees..

That's going to be a lot of mass to get moving forward (and sideways) enough to clear the deck.. I'll have to stand on a ladder to make the cut as my feet can't handle the hooks anymore, which complicates things a good deal, especially for cutting a whizzy (which I don't really understand how to do yet) or some sort of angled notch (side step or ramp in the humboldt ).. I'll have to experiment with the cut on another tree or two before going for this ne... this one could be fun!!!big tukip through deck.jpeg

Last edited:

Daniel

That's probably good advice swing... A good climber could rope that tree out in 4-5 hours if things went well on the ground... On the other hand.. what would be the challenge in that???? How do you find out what is possible unless you push the limits...

A lot to think about...

CanadianStan

I looked at this big tulip poplar last week... Growing through the deck... another company wanted 7 K to remove that and the oak behind it (leaning towards the house). Tulip leans a little to the house too, and looks like it was topped a long time ago... probably 110-120' tall (I should get a rangefinder)...

Other company was going to get a crane involved.. driveway is steep and they'll need to cut another $1,000 tree just to make the corner and have access ... My idea is to drop the big ulip in the woods... only opening in the canopy is not quite 45 degrees... off the deck, so in order to throw it past the deck it's going to need to travel a lot of feet forward off the stump which I could cut 10-25 above the deck... To make matters even more challenging, they are working on the septic system below the deck and I would need to build a bridge to make sure the tulip but doesn't land on top of the tank...

I was thinking of trying to spin the trunk counter clockwise as to falls hoping that spin off to the side away from the deck and some forward movement is enough to clear the deck.... I've also got another idea for how to get the butt to move sideways during the fall.. wondering what you would suggest...

I haven't even put a bid in and was stand-offish with the client. The job is a little far from my usual area and a steep driveway over 400' to the house... I'd really like to put a bid in to just drop everything in the woods and walk.. that last one spoiled me.. CLient is dumping a ton of $ into the house and he would like to save some $ on the trees..

That's going to be a lot of mass to get moving forward (and sideways) enough to clear the deck.. I'll have to stand on a ladder to make the cut as my feet can't handle the hooks anymore, which complicates things a good deal, especially for cutting a whizzy (which I don't really understand how to do yet) or some sort of angled notch (side step or ramp in the humboldt ).. I'll have to experiment with the cut on another tree or two before going for this ne... this one could be fun!!!View attachment 57824
From the sound of it you’re thinking of “felling” a high stump with a speed line on the butt to direct it away from the deck?
Film it mate

DTS

I would agree with the others pretty straight forward tree to rig down in a few hours of time. Maybe even take down some of the deck railings to make it a little easier. Anyone near you with a spider lift that would make the tree a breeze.

RopeShield

I would also guess it may not be a big deal to dismantle and reassemble the deck for alot less money, mb even make the cut at the ground possible.

rico

So your gonna rely on a Whizzer, which you apparently don't know how to perform? It will be ok though, because all you need is a little practice?

You also need to somehow miraculously create some counter clockwise rotation to keep it of the deck?

To top it off you cant stand in spurs, so your gonna make this cut from a ladder?

Surely your pulling our fucking leg, right?

PS- for someone who doesn't like to talk $, you sure spend a lot of time talking about $.

Last edited:

Serf Life

That's probably good advice swing... A good climber could rope that tree out in 4-5 hours if things went well on the ground... On the other hand.. what would be the challenge in that???? How do you find out what is possible unless you push the limits...

A lot to think about...
What input are you looking for?

ATH

Prune it?
Yeah...if they are trying to save money on trees, why do these at all? Is there a legitimate concern or just big trees by a house generation undue fear again?

If there is concern can it be mitigated with pruning? May be a great way to save them money...

rico

I’ve only been a professional timber faller since 1988 so forgive my ignorance but what the Hell is a “whizzer”?
The fact that you have been falling timber your whole fucking life and have never heard of the whizzer tells you all you need to know about the cut Chiselbit.

The whizzer/whizzy is a super trick, inter-web boutique cut, which like a soft dutchman is supposed to create a lot of swing on side leaners and the like. What it won't do it create any forward momentum allowing this tree to clear the deck and rail. It is also known to create some serious stump pull from time to time, which could be catastrophic to this deck. Wrong cut for this scenario.

There is a thread over at Treehouse about the Whizzer/german cut. The most important post in the entire thread is the post by My Beranek stating that he will kindly stick the the basics. Nuff said......

Last edited:

rico

A lot to think about...
Who cares if you don't possess the physical tools necessary to spur up and rig it down properly.

Who cares if your bag of tricks doesn't include a cut that will create enough forward momentum to clear the deck. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that you have never actually cut a whizzer in your life, and the fact that you brought the whizzer into the discussion tells us that you are grasping at straws.

Don't let your frugality get in the way. Fuck paying a competent climber a decent wage to get this thing down safely.

None of these serious shortcomings should create a second thought. You are the Murphman after all! Your up for challenge, willing push the limits, and find out what the human species is really capable of.

While your doing all that thinking you might what to look and see how that deck is attached to the house. If it is not hanging of a ledger, and the deck joists are are either a continuation of, or sistered to the floor joist you might want to re-evaluate your game plan. If you fuck up, it could quickly get very expensive.

Last edited: