Fall arrest and rescue.

Kevin

Is there anything available that will arrest a fall lets say from a bucket and provide descent to the ground post fall arrest for someone working alone?
Keeping in mind that a saddle and rope isn't considered fall arrest.

Kevin

Yes I know all about ANSI but we are regulated by the Canada Labour Code under OSH legislation.
We have a fall arrest harness but we haven't got a post fall arrest plan.
Feel free to send all and any comments to Bell Canada but in the meantime I have to develop a plan to escape the harness after a fall.
I can use a rope but I'm trying to find something everyone could use with a little training.
If you're hanging in a fall arrest harness you can cut the shock cord and descend down a rope on an I'D or figure 8 with a little training.
I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if it already existed.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Check with our sponsor Fresco. They have a kit that can be used for self rescue from a bucket. It's a nice, small, compact kit.

Kevin

Not if it was on fire, MB /forum/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
These harnesses are used at heights above 3 meters, could be a ladder, bucket or platform.

There's a shock cord on these harnesses so the problem for most people would be getting the tension off the shock cord so you could free yourself from it, the only easy solution would be to cut it.
It's doable even with a hitch but these people are utility workers and they don't climb.
It has to be safe and simple for it to be implemented.

jerseywild

It’s pretty hard to just fall out of the bucket. A significant event would have to occur. The bucket operator probably would be in no condition to rescue himself in such an event.

Mark Chisholm

Administrator
The only "freak" accident that I've heard of is the leveling cable breaking. If this happens in certain types of buckets, the buckey tips and dumps the operator out. I can see how this might be a good time for self rescue, but I doubt that you would want to try to get back in. /forum/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Mythbuster's is a favorite show!

Do you mean the one where they set the mobile lift on top of the stacked shipping containers?

Those two guys have the best job in the world...after tree climbing :)

Mangoes

Mythbusters: 2 special effects guys from Hollywood trying to prove or dispell urban myths and legends. Buster is their crash test dummy that takes ALOT of abuse. We get it in this area on Discovery Channel.

The bucket myth was that a guy tried to lift a motor out of a car with an aerial lift. Chain/rope broke and launched the guy out of the lift. So the Mythbusters filled a 1 hour show trying to see what it would take to achieve the end result of the myth.

http://dsc.discovery.com/fansites/mythbusters/mythbusters.html

rborist1

It is a great show! A funny one that comes to mind is the one where they got sprayed by a skunk to see if tomato juice works to get rid of the skunk smell.

Mangoes

Didn't fly at all any way they twisted the myth. But then they did what they had to, which involved mounting the lift on cargo containers stacked 2 high, and basically creating a modest catapult. Buster then got some air time.

jimmyq

poor buster. last one I watched they shoved him in a totally overpowered spinning washer to see what damage it would do. they gave up on the stock motor after they stopped it with their bare hands on the drum. I think the motor they ended up using was from an electric car drivetrain or something. How about the dead pig in the corvette for to test the stink permanence theory on the car interior?