Fake hip and tree work

KootenayKlimber

Any climbers out there with a fake hip?

I'm 25 and had a bad mountain biking accident 4 months ago. Wrecked my hip joint/pelvis and haven't worked since.

The surgeon said I will need a fake hip in the future but isnt sure if it will be 1 year from now or 20. I've been crushing it in the gym, doing yoga, riding spin bike etc to get back climbing in a few months, but its hard to stay motivated when I have no idea if I'll be able to climb/mountain bike/ski again. It currently feels like I'll need that fake hip within the year...

Anyone out there climbing/ doing groundwork 10 hours a day on a fake hip?

Should I say F-it and get a degree in forestry or do some other related job that puts my 5 years climbing experience to work? (already have an associates degree in forestry.)

Maybe take over my bosses company (he's 67 years old) and hire people to do the work? takes the fun out of it when you cant climb though...

Any other climbers come back from a big injury?

Fivepoints

We have a guy that works with us that needs a fake hip. I know the doctors have told him absolutely no spike climbing. Apparently the fake hips can't take the pulling the spikes up out of the tree.

I hope you heal up on your own for a long time. Keep doing everything you can to make that happen.

KootenayKlimber

We have a guy that works with us that needs a fake hip. I know the doctors have told him absolutely no spike climbing. Apparently the fake hips can't take the pulling the spikes up out of the tree.

I hope you heal up on your own for a long time. Keep doing everything you can to make that happen.
Thats good to know, thanks!

Jimmycrackcorn

Apparently the fake hips can't take the pulling the spikes up out of the tree.
I can see that being bad.. kinda like if you've ever strapped into a snowboard & rocked side to side leaving your leg limp.. You can feel your hip joint kinda pop out of place.. Although I've never felt it, i can see similar motions happening when gaff climbing..

KootenayKlimber

I can see that being bad.. kinda like if you've ever strapped into a snowboard & rocked side to side leaving your leg limp.. You can feel your hip joint kinda pop out of place.. Although I've never felt it, i can see similar motions happening when gaff climbing..
Hmm, I wonder if theres some exersices that could be done to strengthen whatever muscles prevent that?

Treezybreez

An older friend of mine's wife has two new hip replacements and she is able to do all kinds of stuff that she hasn't been able to do in years. I've used glucosamine chondrotanitan for knee pain and the stuff really worked. It's supposed to rebuild cartilage. Hope you are able to heal up completely.

i had hip resurfacing done last January, and was climbing six weeks post surgery, its good for physically active people, and doesn't have the restrictions of a total hip replacement.You will know when its time to get it done.