Eye opening fall

david1332

All good points.... VERY GOOD... hope the youngsters are paying attention....

I personally have found the video quite distracting on certain jobs... And while many think I do some hairy cuts that require expertise or recklessness (depending on your viewpoint), the truth is I have missed as many of those types of cuts as I have shot... When it it looks like it could get intense and I have to stay in the zone, the camera stays in the truck...

Another point about distractions is that having 30+ years of experience affords a lot more room for operating safely even with the distractions in video shooting, but even then it can be a significant distraction, and certainly makes the job-site more risky..

I ended up standing on a rope that on a real freak set of events ended up going through the chipper... ripped my foot out from under me so fast it broke my ankle. IN reflecting on all the events that lead up the event, I was concerned about running out of battery for the camera so decided to chip, later than I would have. So while I couldn't say that video was distracting me as the cause, it was clear that without the video, I wouldn't have been in that position to get hurt.
I agree with your points, being a " youngster " myself I have a similiar viewpoint to Corey. However I am about 90% self taught and therefore have forced myself to go about things much more carefully, forcing myself to be more aware of EVERYTHING on my worksite, but things do happen that can be unexpected , however I believe there are always warning signs, even if they are tiny. Those are what we need to watch out for

Daniel

You got it.. pay attention and scrutinize the little mishaps and mistakes . learn from every one, and you'll hopefully avoid the bigger problems..

One of the reason I know so much about this work is because I've either made, or seen someone else make pretty much most of the mistakes that can be made in my tree world.... Fortunately I lived to tell the stories. Not everyone did... Such things have me believing in Divine Protection... it's actually the only reasonable explanation... I was a pretty wild kid even before I started cutting trees...

FreeFallin

I can't watch the video, my own acrophobia provides more than enough fear/caution without giving it more fuel.

But in the interest of my own and others survival, is there any benefit in using multiple tips for a base tie-in?

I understand that 200# of climber and gear creates 200# of upward pull on a basal anchor, creating 400# of downward pull at the tip. Is anyone throwing over multiple crotches, either with a single throw or by pulling your climbing line over a secondary crotch and then sending a throw line up again to a nearby crotch as your primary tip?

It seems like this would not only share that double load at the top reducing failure, but could also downgrade a deadly fall into just a rough swing.

I'm here to learn how to stay alive...

JontreeHI

I base tie almost every climb. I try to hit some solid, advance and redirect as soon as I can, multiple tips. I also don't hesitate to set multiple tips from the ground if it will save me time or energy or both