Eye opening fall

Discussion in 'Awakenings' started by david1332, Jul 31, 2017.

1. david1332

david1332 Active Member

I agree with your points, being a " youngster " myself I have a similiar viewpoint to Corey. However I am about 90% self taught and therefore have forced myself to go about things much more carefully, forcing myself to be more aware of EVERYTHING on my worksite, but things do happen that can be unexpected , however I believe there are always warning signs, even if they are tiny. Those are what we need to watch out for

CutHighnLetFly and Brocky like this.
  2. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

You got it.. pay attention and scrutinize the little mishaps and mistakes . learn from every one, and you'll hopefully avoid the bigger problems..

One of the reason I know so much about this work is because I've either made, or seen someone else make pretty much most of the mistakes that can be made in my tree world.... Fortunately I lived to tell the stories. Not everyone did... Such things have me believing in Divine Protection... it's actually the only reasonable explanation... I was a pretty wild kid even before I started cutting trees...

JD3000 likes this.
  3. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

I should be dead several times over...and I havent climbed trees in years...guardian angel working overtime?

4. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

Your guardian angel just fell off of his barstool, laughing hysterically and spraying beer out of his nose.

5. JD3000

JD3000 Well-Known Member

Did he swallow his cig again???

F#%&$n Ralphie is a riot aint he?

RopeShield and Stant82 like this.
  6. evo

evo Well-Known Member

Shit now I need a towel

JeffGu and JD3000 like this.
  7. FreeFallin

FreeFallin Well-Known Member

I can't watch the video, my own acrophobia provides more than enough fear/caution without giving it more fuel.

But in the interest of my own and others survival, is there any benefit in using multiple tips for a base tie-in?

I understand that 200# of climber and gear creates 200# of upward pull on a basal anchor, creating 400# of downward pull at the tip. Is anyone throwing over multiple crotches, either with a single throw or by pulling your climbing line over a secondary crotch and then sending a throw line up again to a nearby crotch as your primary tip?

It seems like this would not only share that double load at the top reducing failure, but could also downgrade a deadly fall into just a rough swing.

I'm here to learn how to stay alive...

8. JontreeHI

JontreeHI Well-Known Member

I base tie almost every climb. I try to hit some solid, advance and redirect as soon as I can, multiple tips. I also don't hesitate to set multiple tips from the ground if it will save me time or energy or both

Levi.CO likes this.
  9. Treezybreez

Treezybreez Well-Known Member

Didn't we just watch a video where he almost gets clobbered by a large section of tree? This is really disturbing. I can't watch.

Tree work is like Chess, you need to think at least five moves ahead....

Tyler Durden, deevo, JeffGu and 2 others like this.
  10. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

yet, so many want to play it like checkers, present company excepted.