Eye opening fall

Discussion in 'Awakenings' started by david1332, Jul 31, 2017.

1. david1332

david1332 Active Member

So Corey better known as Human on YouTube took a fall last week. His tie in point broke up high in a large oak and he plummeted 25' or so straight to the ground and broke his pelvis and suffered an L5 injury. He was climbing SRT with a base anchor and had claimed he tested his tie in point beigre climbing.

Very eye opening experience for all of us out here. Goes to show how important insurance and safety is . I wish him a speedy recovery. Check out the video, there's many thugs that can be learned from what happened.
    I'm a large believer in testing your tie point beyond what your own weight will load it with, as in with another person or jumping on it from a low height.

2. ctree

ctree Member

Get better brother!

david1332 and 96coal449 like this.
  3. WaitakKauri

WaitakKauri Well-Known Member

Not sure if Corey is on here, but I know his YT channel.

Take care bro and heal up well. Keep your mind healthy too - hard(est ?) thing for an active person facing time recovering.

cheers, jason

ClimbMIT, david1332 and 96coal449 like this.
  4. 96coal449

96coal449 Well-Known Member

My partner climbs a little on the careless side from time to time. Makes me scared for him sometimes.
    Corey, I wish you a speedy and good recovery.
    Be safe, all.

david1332 likes this.
  5. oldoakman

oldoakman Well-Known Member

Heal fast and cheer up Corey.

96coal449 likes this.
  6. ClimbMIT

ClimbMIT Member

I hate to see this! Couldn't watch the whole video. I hope you heal quick and make a full recovery from this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Any idea if the anchor point was too small, or was there a defect in the tree that caused the breakage?

ClimbMIT likes this.
  8. david1332

david1332 Active Member

In the video he said the tree needed some major pruning work so it's possible since it was such a dense canopy he couldn't see he was in a bad crotch

Brocky likes this.
  9. Drumbo

Drumbo Active Member

He said at some point in the video he should have just set his anchor lower and then reset it higher after entering the tree, which I agree with.
    He appeared to be base tied as well.
    So theoretically doubling his weight on an PSP he couldn't see in a tree full of dead wood.
    This is definitely a reminder that we need to remain humble and play the game following the rules dictated by each tree.
    Not trying to bash the dude, I fell 20 feet a few months ago in a similar situation. Thankfully I walked away unscathed, but I learned my lesson.
    I never base tie through small stuff in the canopy and really try to avoid base tieing all together. Taking the extra time to isolate and be sure of your PSP is worth it every time.

ClimbMIT, david1332 and Brocky like this.
  10. treehumper

treehumper Well-Known Member

After my fall in a similar situation I am very careful about my TIP. I take the time to inspect it to assure myself that it's solid. Oft times, I do start with a lower point that I can see and then advance it as I go. Sure it takes time but when compared to the lost time due to the injury it's much more cost effective.

What I wondered to myself was why he wouldn't have used the bucket to set himself in the tree?

Hope he recovers and adjusts his approach for the future!

TreeBeaver, wyoclimber and 96coal449 like this.
  11. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

OK I'll be the bad guy and say it since no one else has:

While he seems like a really good guy with a great personality for TV, he showed a lot of sloppy work and had a real casual attitude towards his and the crew's mistakes. The one where he cuts the rope was such a poor decision, I'd think it was staged if I saw it on reality TV.... And I only watched a few minutes of his videos...

Every young climber is going to make mistakes, and while its's amazing that he is so willing to show them to the world, his attitude about them sucked.. he was way too casual. Taking a "no big deal" attitude towards mistakes is asking for trouble. There is a mathematical formula that is fairly accurate in this business. You only get so many small mishaps and close calls before something much worse, such as a major injury or death, happens.... He's lucky the fall was only 25' , not 50!

Unless you have an safety conscious attitude the odds are heavily stacked against you in this business... That means taking every small mistake and near miss, and even any unexpected outcome (even if it did no harm) very seriously. Every nicked rope, every bad cut, every scratch with the hand saw, every rigging mistake needs to be thoroughly mentally reviewed , and then discussed with the crew where appropriate. How could things have been done differently? How can we make sure this doesn't happen again? Is there a policy that we could put in place to make this action safer? Do I need to work on my fundamentals.... like getting better body position relative to the cut, working from a better tie in point, or better communication etc? Do we need to fire this guy before he kills himself???

I've seen it in action before... Told a climber he should get out of the tree business... He was way to casual about safety and I knew something bad was going to happen... Within a year he had fallen and broken his back doing some stupid little mistake, belaying out of a pine spar... Fortunately no spinal cord damage.

On the the other hand I've seen a young climber that used to make a lot of mistakes turn into one of the best tree climbers that ever walked the earth. The difference was in his attitude. He wanted to get better, and learn from his mistakes and be the best and safest he could be... He was actually getting ready to climb this medium walnut early on, and I said I didn't like his tie in... we both pulled on the climbing line together and broke the limb right out...

So Corey if you're listening, I expect this post to sting a bit, but I hope you can look at it from the viewpoint that I AM trying to save your life, and help everyone here develop a better attitude towards safety. I hope this accident, which could have been sooo much worse, helps you change your attitude. If not, you should get out of the tree business...

Maybe you should think about moving to LA and taking acting lessons anyhow. With your personality and physique, you could make it in the movies.. Wish you well with it either way bro!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Stant82, david1332, Oroboros and 8 others like this.
  12. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

13. CutHighnLetFly

CutHighnLetFly Well-Known Member

No disrespect to this guy cuz he's enthusiastic and all, but look at his history of videos. Something real bad was bound to happen. Kid goes big with little foresight of what's about happen. Needs a mentor or an experienced groundman who can give him better input.
    This is an example of what some younger (in career) arborists are at risk of when trying things they might not fully understand or have had training on.
    I posted the same thing on his YouTube cuz it's relatable and ive put myself in bad spots not thinking it thru before. Just a bad was to learn.

Daniel likes this.
  14. CutHighnLetFly

CutHighnLetFly Well-Known Member

15. Brocky

Brocky Well-Known Member

Plus, I wonder how much of his attention is focused on filming, getting the shot, and continually narrarating when it should be on the work and his safety.

ClimbMIT and 96coal449 like this.
  16. Daniel

Daniel Well-Known Member

All good points.... VERY GOOD... hope the youngsters are paying attention....

I personally have found the video quite distracting on certain jobs... And while many think I do some hairy cuts that require expertise or recklessness (depending on your viewpoint), the truth is I have missed as many of those types of cuts as I have shot... When it it looks like it could get intense and I have to stay in the zone, the camera stays in the truck...

Another point about distractions is that having 30+ years of experience affords a lot more room for operating safely even with the distractions in video shooting, but even then it can be a significant distraction, and certainly makes the job-site more risky..

I ended up standing on a rope that on a real freak set of events ended up going through the chipper... ripped my foot out from under me so fast it broke my ankle. IN reflecting on all the events that lead up the event, I was concerned about running out of battery for the camera so decided to chip, later than I would have. So while I couldn't say that video was distracting me as the cause, it was clear that without the video, I wouldn't have been in that position to get hurt.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    david1332, deevo, 96coal449 and 3 others like this.
  17. skew

skew Active Member

Total cowboy. Stock up on life insurance.

18. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis Member

Out of curiosity, how old is this guy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. 96coal449

96coal449 Well-Known Member

I'd guess early 30's ...... was wondering this myself after watching a couple of vids.

20. david1332

david1332 Active Member

Early 30s or late 20s