Exceeds mechanical limits

KYAPLE

Hey folks, looking for some insight please.

Pulled the trigger on a 1999 international 4900, and when we received the title, in large bold print, it reads “ Exceeds Mechanical Limits” I wasn’t the one that took the title to our insurance guy, but that statement made him very nervous. Truck is from CT, anybody know what that means? Maybe it’s not a big deal, we will know a little bit more as it gets into the MA registry today. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Kieran.

Pelorus

I dunno.
I googled it though, because it sounds interesting.
"Exceeds Mechanical Limits — A vehicle with a 5-digit odometer cannot accurately track mileage after 99,999 miles because the odometer rolls over. This title is the result of a seller certifying under the Federal Odometer Act, that the odometer reading EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS of the odometer.Nov 24, 2009"

edit: lotsa threads and discussions about this on the interweb. Consensus is that it is no big deal. Instrument cluster might have been replaced, wrong box might have been checked off on a previous registration, etc. (as long as your title doesnt say "salvage"!)

Last edited:
Reactions: ATH

KYAPLE

Thanks @Pelorus! I found the same thing on the web last night, what kept my interest going was the fact that it has a 6 digit odometer... and the assumption that I’d get a clean title. Just thought I’d throw it out there to see what others had heard. I’ll keep you posted on where it goes today.

Thanks again

Pelorus

You're welcome.
"Exceeds mechanical limits" sounded ominous for sure!
Best of luck to you with your truck

Fivepoints

Our state does this on anything over 99,999 miles regardless of if the vehicle has a 6 digit odometer. CT may be the same way.

Reactions: evo

evo

All this in addition is if the DOL thinks that you got a good price on a truck they will tax you not on the sale price, but on their price of similar vehicle. They did so in due to gifts, or $10 dollar sales. It is criminal in my book. Say I get a good deal and pay $1000 for a $5000 truck, because a family member sold it to me at a loss. I still have to pay $5000 in taxes. So you can put "beyond mechanical limits" to avoid the market value tax rate. Or if I buy a truck with a known problem that needs repair thus lowering the market value..

That's the way it is here...

ATH

.... it has a 6 digit odometer... and the assumption that I’d get a clean title. ....
a million miler?

I'd find out if that constitutes a "clean" title or not. If it does not, do you have anything documenting that it was advertised as such? If so, I'd look at returning it...or taking a partial refund/lower price. They certainly didn't offer you a full disclosure.