Epic VA Treemek Build

Today marks the birthday of Adaptable Aerial Solutions LLC. One year ago I was loading the tool boxes and getting ready for my first job on 3/14. This last year has been more than I expected. Such support from local tree services who were willing to take a chance on technology new to our market. I’ve worked in North Carolina, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. I completed my 125th job today. Thank you to @Westminster Hydraulics for an amazing build and support. Their customer service and quality of work is unsurpassed. Thank you to @sjtreeguy my mentor and friend. Thank you to @TheCraneManInc Pete, @mikexteti and the amazing staff of the Crane School. If it wasn’t for your dedication to the industry I wouldn’t be where I am today. You showed me what the potential was for skilled and safe crane work. Thank you to my family for supporting me and putting up with the brutal learning curve of starting a business and learning how to run a crane. Melinda Popkin. Thanks for understanding there are long days and then there are long day. Lastly a special thank you to all my customers. Without your support and patronage it never would have worked. Thanks for giving me a chance. Thank you all so much. Let’s blow 2019 out of the water. Thanks to all the buzzers who supported coached and followed me throughout this journey.
Hey I just saw this you know how I feel. We just finished a great class with you as a large part of it. You are part of my inner circle now and forever buddy. I look forward to many more great years.

CanaryBoss

When I retire from the fd I should be able to work 32 to 40 a week easily. I just did a travel job. That was well worth my time and led to some strong leads. I get nervous when the phone doesn’t ring but I always end up filling my days. I try not to worry too much but sometimes it gets the better of me. I can work about 5 or 6 days and pay all my bills. I’m still not paying myself but I pay all my fuel for my personal truck and the cell phone bill. That’s about 400 a month so it’s like getting paid. Plus I’ve learned how to fix stuff I always paid people to do.
Steve,

All things considered, would you have bought a new truck if you could do it all over, instead of a used chassis?

CanaryBoss

I just don't think its the time for an increase. I'm already begging for work. Generally things work out but for instance I have 3 half day jobs on the books for this week and thats it. No calls, no interest, nothing. I was on vacation all last week and figured in a week I'd be able to book those days but I was wrong. Not really sure what the deal is. At one point I was booked 3 weeks out. Not I can't get booked a week out. I know there is a feast or famine in tree work but in the 26 tree services out here, i've worked for 13. Even those 13 have dried up. I just think they look at it as bringing me in reduces their profit and a rate increase would reduce it even more. What they don't see is I increase their profit via reduction of manpower and if they aren't charging the customer for my services then they have no idea what they are doing anyway.

I do have a marketing piece I am going to put on a thumb drive and mail to everyone under the sun. I also need to just cold call some ac, builders, steel guys for shits and giggles. I just thought it would be going better. July kicked ass. 20k in sales. August has sucked.
Next time you have a slow August/September call me. We’ll go smash some hurricane work and I’ll pay you $3500 a day to go where I say. Plus you can live off my grid. I bring food, water, housing, and waste systems with me. We can live for 3 weeks without a trip to walmart in a hurricane ravished community.

One crane is never enough and neither is two or three. However many cranes you have in these situations, you need more. They bring the work.

Steve Connally

Steve,

All things considered, would you have bought a new truck if you could do it all over, instead of a used chassis?
I'm torn. All the issues i've worked through with a used chassis makes me ask what's next. So i'd love a new shiny automatic. 18sp is a pain in the tail. I'd like all the nifty little things the new trucks have. What I don't want is the emissions stuff. Just about everyone I tell I wish I had new replies "no you don't. I think if money was no option I'd get a new chassis but not if I had to sacrifice built options. If I only had X cash to throw at the build, I'd get used again ad put the money into the boom size. I put about 30k a year miles on the truck and probably 250hrs a quarter. With the rebuilt engine I should be good until it's time for a new crane. Hard to say but I think I just would have bought used more informed. I learned a lot after the fact this trip.

Steve Connally

Next time you have a slow August/September call me. We’ll go smash some hurricane work and I’ll pay you $3500 a day to go where I say. Plus you can live off my grid. I bring food, water, housing, and waste systems with me. We can live for 3 weeks without a trip to walmart in a hurricane ravished community.

One crane is never enough and neither is two or three. However many cranes you have in these situations, you need more. They bring the work.
I'm in!!!!!!!!

CanaryBoss

I'm torn. All the issues i've worked through with a used chassis makes me ask what's next. So i'd love a new shiny automatic. 18sp is a pain in the tail. I'd like all the nifty little things the new trucks have. What I don't want is the emissions stuff. Just about everyone I tell I wish I had new replies "no you don't. I think if money was no option I'd get a new chassis but not if I had to sacrifice built options. If I only had X cash to throw at the build, I'd get used again ad put the money into the boom size. I put about 30k a year miles on the truck and probably 250hrs a quarter. With the rebuilt engine I should be good until it's time for a new crane. Hard to say but I think I just would have bought used more informed. I learned a lot after the fact this trip.
Interesting observation. I’ve got some REALLY REALLY good mechanics on staff. I usually opt for used cause I know my guys can make it perfect. We rebuild our own transmissions and all. I guess it’s just the new smell and lack of major repairs for a few years I am really after. I’ve got some new stuff with emissions and have done well so far, although I know anything could happen. There is a western star dealer here in town so it’s appealing too.

Steve Connally

Interesting observation. I’ve got some REALLY REALLY good mechanics on staff. I usually opt for used cause I know my guys can make it perfect. We rebuild our own transmissions and all. I guess it’s just the new smell and lack of major repairs for a few years I am really after. I’ve got some new stuff with emissions and have done well so far, although I know anything could happen. There is a western star dealer here in town so it’s appealing too.
Guys said the regen issue has shut them down on the job site. I would be worried about that

Steve Connally

Wow! 30,000 miles a year steve. That’s a lot of driving.
That was an estimation. Last year was much less than that. This year will be up a bit. I've been doing a bunch of turn and burn jobs in richmond and thats about 2 hours away in crane time. All said and done I don't think i'll come close to 30k miles