#enough

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Yes...enough!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/mar/14/walkout-students-gun-violence-parkland-florida

Were any of us concerned about school violence in 5th grade? The only gun violence I knew was from reading books about WWII and seeing Paladin etc. on TV. Then, JFK was assassinated..followed by Oswald, King, RFK, Malcom X.

I'm not naive enough to think that the good ol days were that good. But think, if things don't change thes days will be the good ol days to the fifth graders. What a heritage to pass along.

2016 isn't 1791 when the Bill of Rights were state ratified. There have been plenty of interpretations and amendments of the BoR over the years to bring it into current standing. Why lock onto the no change attitude with the 2nd Amendment?

Enough

oakwilt

This morning we learn of another trumper, a gun-trained high school teacher and reserve deputy, shot his pistol in the classroom, thinking it wasn't loaded, and wounded a male student.

Yes. Confiscation without due process (as trump himself proposed) and a nationwide ban on WMD's. The NRA can no longer write legislation. It's the people who should. Recall every legislator who spent NRA money.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Wait...lets get the language straight!

For years we've heard the line...guns don't kill people kill

Then I read this story of this reserve police officer having his 'gun discharge' when he was checking to see if it was empty. Huh?! Now we can blame the gun??? Why? Because hes a cop???

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...fety-lesson-fires-injures-students-california

As far I'm concerned this fella just gave up his 'right' to bear arms, for the rest of his life, because he isn't part of the mythical 'well regulated militia'

The gun didn't become sentient and discharge by itself...he lost control...pulled the trigger..and injured students in his class.

Can anyone in the pro gun side explain this?

Enough

Pelorus

@ Oakwilt: If the "basket of deplorables" hadn't elected your nemesis, is there a fairytale ending to the American predisposition to kill innocents with firearms?

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
The story is being told...the only way to change the ending is to start a rewrite of the narrative. Otherwise all stories will have the same ending.

Enough

Pelorus

Can anyone in the pro gun side explain this?

Explain a negligent discharge (ND)?
The fellow screwed up. Period.

Some of the more common carry guns eg. Glocks, have no "safety" button/lever. The trigger IS the safety.
Others, like a .45 have both a safety lever and a grip safety (pulling the trigger alone won't fire the pistol unless there is pressure on the handle as well.
btw, Sig Sauer had to recall their model 320 recently because of incidents (incidences?)of the gun firing when dropped. No need to pull the trigger....

edit: manufacturer is calling it a "voluntary upgrade" not a recall

Last edited:

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
"Screwed up"

Mild description and soft language.

What is the proper procedure for checking if the gun is empty? Russian roulette? This guy can't get off easy.

Not how I was taught back in ancient times when I was 12.

Enough

Jem4417

As someone who is for the second amendment, but has never fired a gun and owns one locked in a friends gun safe, I hope banning guns will be the answer to this seemingly colossal problem. But if one day, even hundreds of years from now , “we the people” figure out that was a mistake. It will be a bad day for Earth

oakwilt

The right claims the democrats both hate America and will abolish the 2nd Ammendment.

The right.

There's no plan to rescind the 2nd, or destroy America. The plan is to abolish the right.

Pelorus

As far I'm concerned this fella just gave up his 'right' to bear arms, for the rest of his life...

Lets unpack that line of reasoning a little bit. I kinda like where you are going, because this means there will be no repeat DUI drivers. Caught once and yer walkin' not driving for the rest of your life.
No more serial rapists or felons with rap sheets as long as Harlequin Romance novels.
Caught texting while driving?...bye bye car keys. Or do you have to run over a pedestrian first?
One strike and yer out!
Do you see any problem with this?

oakwilt

As we debate, the kids protest.

Years ago, when they protested, I resisted. Learned the hard way they were right. This time, I'm listening. And helping.

The "catch phrases" of ideologue and gun insanity proponents are the small, viscious, and ignorant minority. I find the GOP struggling with position statements, frantic outreach via far-right channels, attempts to unify a stand and the realization that they have their shrunken balls tied off, their hero's being castrated.

No more school shootings, no more NRA. Only then can a nation begin to heal and fix.

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
This isn't baseball. SoMe times once is too much

Does he get a buy since he's a cop? Nope!

What is the proper procedure for checking To
See if. Weapon is empty?

Pelorus

I'm fairly sure (not certain, but leaning towards certitude) that no NRA member has ever been responsible for a school shooting rampage.
Mentally unstable individuals + access to guns = tragedy waiting to happen.

Pelorus

Tom: Enough already!!!
He coulda and shoulda had his finger outside the trigger guard. Duh!
He is gonna pay a price. You can be sure of it. Injured student(s) will be handomely compensated in an out-of-court settlement. Life goes on.
Could the situation have been avoided? Yes.
Should this cop be ritualistically sacrificed on a liberal alter of tofu and bean sprouts? I don't think so.