Efficient climbers

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
"They're very large animals and their food intake is quite poor, so everything they do is geared towards being energy efficient," he said.

Researchers are fitting testing kit onto parkour runners to find out about orangutan climbing efficiencies.

There is a lot for tree climbers to learn:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/18686671

This is something I found out many years ago. One of the most common surprises that SRT converts find is that they aren't as tired or worn down after a day/week of SRT.

Dr. John Ball has started similar research on [human] climbers and now has actual data to show what we're known for a long time.

Fairfield

It's funny, when I statred at the company im at now they asked if I would be able to keep up all day due to not being a full time climber for the past five years. I told them "I am sure I can hold my own". Now everytime there is a long ascent they all walk away to another tree and leave that for me. Little do they know I take enjoyment in that. Have fun hip thrusting your thirty feet while it takes me the same amount of time to reach 80 to 100ft!

Tom Dunlap

Here from the beginning
Administrator
[ QUOTE ]
Have fun hip thrusting your thirty feet while it takes me the same amount of time to reach 80 to 100ft!

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just time...think of all the energy and physical wear and tear that you're saving. Climbing efficiently will allow climbers to work productively decades longer.

rfwoodvt

[ QUOTE ]
Not just time...think of all the energy and physical wear and tear that you're saving. Climbing efficiently will allow climbers to work productively decades longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that Tom!

We did some storm damage work today tripping out a 12 inch tip diameter Pinus strobus stem that lodged 30 or so feet up in an Acer rubrum today.

After after I got it down, pulled out the remaining stuck limbs down and cleared my rope I noticed I left a couple small windowmakers further up the tree than we had been working...no prob, just throwline and pull...

Ended up getting the throw weight lodged in a tight crotch so, up I had to go. Thank goodness for SRT!!

Up and down in less than 5 minutes including going to get my climbing gear back outta the truck.

Made the climb with my Uni and RW...am really beginning to get the hang of that combo. Thanx go to Dave M. for posting his version of that combo too!

So nice to walk up the rope, do the job and come back down.

Dayum, it was fun too!

Adam_P

Little derail here...

Rick, I sold my wrench to get some cash for a uni, but I'm interested in the setup now. Figures.

Using the wrench with it allows you to pinch to descend, correct? Do you have to "set" the wrench before you do it? I may give it a run with the next version of the wrench.

Adam_P

Thanks, Rick. I remember that thread. I stole Dave's shoulder bolt and tending setups from it. :)

I'll get another wrench when the next generation comes out. Treestuff had a twitter post about it so hopefully it's not too far off.

MooseHead

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I thought that when I purchased my wraptor,that I would be tired less.Nope I can do more tress now and im just as tired.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this feeling well!