Effer Crawler knuckleboom Thoughts?

craneguy1

Too bad altec bought out the north american distributorship ...now if effer did make one for export to the states it will be $2 milllion...

LiTreeService

Yes I was concerned about the altec situation as well. Was talking to allmak earlier and he said he had a quote for around 400kish or so from one of his dealers for one.

Lumberjack

I considered buying one with a grapple saw, hauling it behind the grapple truck. The price wasn’t horrible, but it wasn’t price competitive with a truck mounted crane. The main downside I saw was setup time for the normally accessible tree is considerably longer than truck mounted. I thought about leaving it on the trailer but the outriggers would require considerable cribbing and thus more setup time.

I ended up with a truck mounted crane, which served my needs well.

Lumberjack

It was around $400 with a grapple saw and an electric power option I believe.

Getting it on and off the trailer is a huge time drag, it’d probably add near thirty minutes to every job.

Evan_WI

This is really cool! I see what Lumberjack is saying about the loading and unloading being time consuming. Really it makes me wonder how they can get a 50 t/m kboom onto a crawler measuring 16' by 7', while a similar crane mounted on a truck chassis would be over 30' long and weight almost twice as much. It seems we should be able to mount larger cranes on shorter wheelbase trucks.

Lumberjack

Based on what I was told, the Crawler weighs ~46-48klbs, not half of what a truck mounted 525 weighs. I see there's an article that says it weighs ~29klb; I assume without the 6600lb "optional" ballast the article mentions.

The outrigger spread is 21' and change by 21' and change.

There are no games to play with physics, something half the size and weight won't (practically) out-lift the larger unit.

Evan_WI

The 29k lb number is what I came across in another listing. It makes sense that it would have to weigh a lot more. I guess what I was getting at is that kboom design (at least in North America) seems to be centered around a large flatbed (or other body) on the truck. Given the design of the effer crawler crane, it seems this size crane could be mounted on a more compact truck chassis with the correct outrigger configuration. I'm sure the x-shaped outrigger configuration goes a long way with crawler crane.

Lumberjack

Outrigger (plus supports) span and chassis COG are what matter regarding the crane itself. Don't forget in North America most vehicles have to comply with bridge law requirements regarding axle weights and spreads. You couldn't (legally) haul the Crawler 525 on a traditional trailer just big enough to fit the crawler, it would have to be longer to make bridge law.

The splayed outriggers increase the outrigger spread while retracting to a shorter length which is helpful or packing up in a smaller package.

islandedge

I just realized its already plumbed for the grapple saw, i see the hose reel on the jib. This would work in my area, i have a few older city's i work in that have large trees in the back yards that no crane could get to. I wonder whats the traveling width?

Treetopflyer

I just realized its already plumbed for the grapple saw, i see the hose reel on the jib. This would work in my area, i have a few older city's i work in that have large trees in the back yards that no crane could get to. I wonder whats the traveling width?
Prune em...with couple A ropes n saddle!:)