Edelrid Talons

Discussion in 'Rant and Rave' started by Keenanlog, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Keenanlog

Keenanlog Member

I have been climbing on the Talons since Oct. They are by far the most comfortable set of spikes I've used. Upon receiving them the only flaw I could think of was the plastic getting brittle in the cold (NH). Well, Monday that fear came true. Snapped right at the bolts. I have contacted treestuff with little to no help, per usual as of lately. I have contacted Edelrid with no response. I'm not looking for something for nothing since they are used, in good shape and taken care of but still used. Just looking for the piece that snapped. I cant find any info anywhere. If anyone has any insight where to look for replacement parts please share. Thank you!

diogenes likes this.
  2. oldoakman

oldoakman Well-Known Member

In reality they should be replaced by the mfg. Cold is a condition that we work in regularly and should have been given due diligence during the beta testing phase of development.

3. Gorman

Gorman Well-Known Member

Wow. Good thing I read this before ordering some. I hope they clear this up for you. Not a cheap fix.

4. deevo

deevo Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s brutal for $600 spurs! We’re you the one that posted on IG and the other thread here or yours separate? I’ll be passing on these also, hopefully they fix you back up.

5. Alejandro Concolor

Alejandro Concolor Active Member

My buddy bought some a couple months ago. One day went to put them on and the Velcro stayed attached to itself and came off from the glued side. Again... a lot of $$ for, well... you know.

6. TimberJack

TimberJack Well-Known Member

Two words of advice bucking ham

GreenstoneVT, Treetopflyer and rico like this.
  7. joezilla11

joezilla11 Active Member

Maybe I’m missing something but didn’t edelrid pop up out of nowhere a few years back with some slings and weird t-shirts and now they have a saddle and spurs and people think they are a big high quality name in tree gear? Maybe they came from the rock world or something but I just don’t see them as a go to brand for anything I need

8. JeffGu

JeffGu Well-Known Member

They're not new, and yes.. they're a big rock climbing OEM. The tree stuff is new territory for them. I'm sure they'll get the hang of it when it sinks in that arborists are more concerned with durability than light weight. All these companies have made shit products at one time or another... the ones that become our "go to" for gear are the ones that quickly learn this market and what we expect. Problem is, some of the old school companies stagnate... and can't fill our need for innovation and new techniques, etc. and the companies that decide to take a stab at capturing some market share by filling those needs, well... there's growing pains and mistakes to be made. Petzl went through a lot of that, but I personally think they've done a great job of fixing stuff and then moving on with improvements and new ideas. So have a lot of other companies.

Edelrid will either sort these issues out and improve their product line, or they'll give up on trying to capture some of this market. I think think they're good at lightweight material construction... but certainly need to reconsider pushing that to the point where durability suffers. I hope they stick with it, myself. They really need to get on top of this problem right away, though.

I thought their climbers looked rather promising. I have the CF Gecko ones, though, but have kind of been watching to see how the Elderid ones hold up. Looks like they need to go back to the drawing board. Bad choice of polymer/composite material? Maybe just spec'd too thin? I hope they figure it out.

9. TimberJack

TimberJack Well-Known Member

Correct me if im wrong but didnt treestuff have a hand in the design of the edelrid talons? Spikes should only ever be so comfortable so you hurry up and get out of them and only so light that by the time you start feeling their weight you have a big saw hanging on your saddle and its all down hill from there.

oldoakman likes this.
  10. rico

rico Well-Known Member

DMM Gecko’s or Titanium Bucks. Now go get some wood on the ground.

Alejandro Concolor likes this.
  11. bigredviking

bigredviking New Member

Nobody gets a product like this right on the first go. Manufacturing is incredibly expensive and producing multiple product prototypes and testing can sink a product before it ever reaches the market.

Cudos to Edelrid for coming at it from a new angle and attempting something innovative.

I climbed on these all last season and well into an Ontario winter. Very comfortable spur, fairly light for still being a steel shank, and not one single issue.

As @JeffGu mentioned earlier, it’s guys like us field testing them and giving feedback that will help drive innovation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alejandro Concolor likes this.