Echo vs Stihl

Bucknut

Until a few weeks ago I would have scoffed at anyone who favorably compared Echo to Stihl. Stihl seems to have a real stranglehold on the industry. Our company had run Stihl exclusively for about 30 years, and would swear by them. All their pro saws are well built and, most importantly, reliable and durable.

We have bought all our saws from a local small dealer for many decades as well. Good guys, family business. Recently Stihl decided that they (the dealer) weren't moving enough product and pulled their line. So Echo swooped in and was happy to offer their stuff. We decided to give them a try since the next closest Stihl dealer is about a half hour away and a bit pricey on service.

Recently bought an Echo 355t and a 2511t. Gotta admit I was probably the perfect customer since I have run MS192 and 193t for about 15 years and never sprung for the 200/201t. So you can imagine how happy I have ben with the 355t. It is noticeably heavier than the 193, but the power difference is remarkable. And it's roughly half the price of the 201t. Like most folks I have the usual complaint about the small fuel and oil fill holes, and also the lack of a transparent fuel tank. Can't overstate the importance of knowing your fuel level at a glance. If you've ever run out of gas halfway through the backcut on a big top you'll know why. Other than that the 355t has been eye opening.

Then we got a 2511t. Everyone who has held it says the same thing: It looks and feels like a toy. But it isn't. The older I get the more I appreciate light weight tools that are still capable. This saw is seriously amazing. Like a Silky with a trigger. Here's a pic of the two saws together. Not sure most guys appreciate just how tiny the 2511 is. Keep in mind the the 355t is not particularly large:

fullsizeoutput_c9e.jpeg

I can't praise this saw enough, and like I said I've been a Stihl guy essentially my whole life. Bigger fill holes than the 355 which tells me Echo is listening to their customers. Never been a fan of the diagonal handlebar design, but soon discovered that it actually facilitated snapping into my Vault without even needing a lanyard. Climbed with it yesterday and truly couldn't tell if it was on my hip without looking. What dark sorcery is this Echo? I love it so far.

Summary: Stihl makes great stuff, but increasingly so do others. In my market (and in my opinion) Stihl seems to have gotten too big for their britches. Opened the door for their competition and I'm glad they did. Time will tell if they're durable, but I have faith. (They're Japanese after all!)

CanadianStan

Until a few weeks ago I would have scoffed at anyone who favorably compared Echo to Stihl. Stihl seems to have a real stranglehold on the industry. Our company had run Stihl exclusively for about 30 years, and would swear by them. All their pro saws are well built and, most importantly, reliable and durable.

We have bought all our saws from a local small dealer for many decades as well. Good guys, family business. Recently Stihl decided that they (the dealer) weren't moving enough product and pulled their line. So Echo swooped in and was happy to offer their stuff. We decided to give them a try since the next closest Stihl dealer is about a half hour away and a bit pricey on service.

Recently bought an Echo 355t and a 2511t. Gotta admit I was probably the perfect customer since I have run MS192 and 193t for about 15 years and never sprung for the 200/201t. So you can imagine how happy I have ben with the 355t. It is noticeably heavier than the 193, but the power difference is remarkable. And it's roughly half the price of the 201t. Like most folks I have the usual complaint about the small fuel and oil fill holes, and also the lack of a transparent fuel tank. Can't overstate the importance of knowing your fuel level at a glance. If you've ever run out of gas halfway through the backcut on a big top you'll know why. Other than that the 355t has been eye opening.

Then we got a 2511t. Everyone who has held it says the same thing: It looks and feels like a toy. But it isn't. The older I get the more I appreciate light weight tools that are still capable. This saw is seriously amazing. Like a Silky with a trigger. Here's a pic of the two saws together. Not sure most guys appreciate just how tiny the 2511 is. Keep in mind the the 355t is not particularly large:

View attachment 55064

I can't praise this saw enough, and like I said I've been a Stihl guy essentially my whole life. Bigger fill holes than the 355 which tells me Echo is listening to their customers. Never been a fan of the diagonal handlebar design, but soon discovered that it actually facilitated snapping into my Vault without even needing a lanyard. Climbed with it yesterday and truly couldn't tell if it was on my hip without looking. What dark sorcery is this Echo? I love it so far.

Summary: Stihl makes great stuff, but increasingly so do others. In my market (and in my opinion) Stihl seems to have gotten too big for their britches. Opened the door for their competition and I'm glad they did. Time will tell if they're durable, but I have faith. (They're Japanese after all!)
I got to handle a 2511 at a local saw dealer and My initial impression was “I can’t be trusted with this toy.” It almost feels like 2-handing is ridiculous with it, “silky with a trigger” as you put it

I think I’ll get one when I get home though, $600 CAD with muffler mod already done