Echo 355t

Serf Life

Get it, don't drop it outta a tree as it isn't a 200. Reinforce the top plastic cover under the handle with JB weld, use fresh gas, run it like ya stole it. Had mine 6(?) yrs and never been in the shop.

ATH

I've had one for about a year and a half...never even put gas in it. Thought about selling it to help pay for a battery-powered Husqvarna top handled saw. Used it today in the woods doing some timber stand improvement work (girdling a lot of trees - which is where a small saw is great - and even felling some up to 10" dbh red maple). Ran like a top through 5 or 6 thanks. So I can't speak to longevity yet, but out of the gate I like it...

rico

Get it, don't drop it outta a tree as it isn't a 200. Reinforce the top plastic cover under the handle with JB weld, use fresh gas, run it like ya stole it. Had mine 6(?) yrs and never been in the shop.
Funny you should say that. The 1st job with my shiny new 355T was a nice Fir removal. I got up to my TIP at about 175 ft, and had my groundie tie on the355T so I could clear a few limbs and set up some rigging. Just before the saw reached me the little metal clip for the lanyard malfunctioned and the saw fell 160-165 ft. That poor little 355T hit the butt flair at the base of the Fir, and fucking exploded into shrapnel. Never actually even made a cut with it. Bought another one soon after, and its been a good little saw for 3 yrs now.

Last edited:

dsptech

Powerful top handle.
I run a 14" micro chisel bar and chain on it.
Rips like a beast.
Can run a 16" bar and chain with no issues.

Jimmycrackcorn

Interesting feedback..

Don't take me as Mr Negative but...
Personally, i can't stand them. Ive never handled one that has been able to last 6 months without some sort of downtime breakage, whether it be the handle coming apart, the side cover coming apart, the recoil blowing apart, the starter cord snapping, all after minimal use... Echo is also the only brand I've ever used where i took it out of the brand new box too use, only to find out it won't run & it immediately becomes a parts saw to Frankenstein the other broken ones together & be able to cut wood that day.

Lastly, (& this was always my main/original bitch) idk whether it was the specific model or not but, they were all extremely anemic in all aspects of the power department, but just as, or significantly heavier than their Stihl or Husky counterparts. To put up with those constant issues & on top of all that be heavy with no power, turned me off big time.

The one caveat is however- We were being force fed these saw by the owner, where price point took precedence on basically everything. So i may be a bit biased here..

I'm suprised I'm not hearing the same experiences here other than Rico trying to Drop test it.. "HEADACHE!!" lol!

With that said, what's the allure of the 355 your all speaking highly of..? Price point or actual power to weight? If the power to weight is legit or it's at least balanced well, yall might be able to flip me if things have changed from just a few years ago. I know echo is trying to up their game, they just blew away stihl & redmax in the blower dept, spec wise anyways..

Mowerr

Had mine 5 years, I run a 16" bar and while I think its heavy I've never had a problem with it. I'm anal on the maintenance but mainly fresh gas, keep filter clean and chain sharp

Serf Life

Interesting feedback..

Don't take me as Mr Negative but...
Personally, i can't stand them. Ive never handled one that has been able to last 6 months without some sort of downtime breakage, whether it be the handle coming apart, the side cover coming apart, the recoil blowing apart, the starter cord snapping, all after minimal use... Echo is also the only brand I've ever used where i took it out of the brand new box too use, only to find out it won't run & it immediately becomes a parts saw to Frankenstein the other broken ones together & be able to cut wood that day.

Lastly, (& this was always my main/original bitch) idk whether it was the specific model or not but, they were all extremely anemic in all aspects of the power department, but just as, or significantly heavier than their Stihl or Husky counterparts. To put up with those constant issues & on top of all that be heavy with no power, turned me off big time.

The one caveat is however- We were being force fed these saw by the owner, where price point took precedence on basically everything. So i may be a bit biased here..

I'm suprised I'm not hearing the same experiences here other than Rico trying to Drop test it.. "HEADACHE!!" lol!

With that said, what's the allure of the 355 your all speaking highly of..? Price point or actual power to weight? If the power to weight is legit or it's at least balanced well, yall might be able to flip me if things have changed from just a few years ago. I know echo is trying to up their game, they just blew away stihl & redmax in the blower dept, spec wise anyways..
Sounds like you've had shitty luck with them and we lucked out. I tuned mine after buying it in North Cali and haven't made an adjustment since. It starts right up in all weather and temps and is super good on fuel. Once it is warm it is a one pull start unlike many top handles I have used. The 201T had just came out when I was buying and I hated them. Shitty in winter, crazy price for a saw that imediately needed to be modded, finicky as all getup. Maybe they have gotten better? Tested a few husky top handles and was not impressed either. Power has not been an issue with 14in bar and yeah, price is about half of a sthil.

OasisTree

We love Echo...I have had the 200T, 201T and the T540, and while they are great saws they were always a pain to start. We now keep 3 of the 355Ts on the trucks and while i agree that they are not as tough, they start first pull every time. Plus you can buy 2 of them for the price of a 201T.

And in my opinion, as far as power to weight ratio goes, their 501P is one of the best little saws on the market. We keep the 501 and the 355 in the basket with us all of the time, and they do it everything under 18" in diameter.

dsptech

After owning the 355T I bought the 620P and later the 310.
Yeah they're plastic but reliable, affordable, and plenty of power.
Replacement parts are affordable.
After Echo and Shindaiwa merged the Echo saws have really upped their game.
The only Stihl I own is the 193T.
I run a 12" bar and micro Chisel chain for light prunes on it.
I'm considering selling it to buy another Echo.

Serf Life

And in my opinion, as far as power to weight ratio goes, their 501P is one of the best little saws on the market. We keep the 501 and the 355 in the basket with us all of the time, and they do it everything under 18" in diameter.
Have you used the 550xp to compare with the 501P? Looks like the echo is 0.4lbs lighter but man is the 550 a bomber saw.

Barc Buster

I'll chip in here too since I own some echo equipment. I have a 355t, 2511, and a 501p. The 501p is lighter but not faster than the 550xp. It will hang right with one though, and surprises the heck out of the 550 fanboys who have run it. At the end of the day it's close enough for me that the cost savings gives the Echo the edge. The stihl 201 I have is a turd. Already been through 1 solenoid. Yes the 355 isn't quite as durable, but dead nuts reliable and 1/2 the price. Not hard to do the math there. At the end of the day I miss my 020t wish stihl would make a top handle as badass as that saw was.

Z'sTrees

A friend and co-worker bought a 355t back in the summer. We opened up the muffler, airbox, and retuned and it's a ripper. Super easy to mod as well. Can't say that about my t540. It "feels" cheap but I have nothing to substantiate that with.
I was so impressed I went out and bought the 2511. Holy smokes what a great little saw.
He also just picked one of those up along with a 620p. That thing is a strong runner too, and just as easy to mod the muffler as the 355.
I am really impressed with the echo stuff lately. I would totally go that route if I was starting over. The saws run great at hundreds less than their European counterparts.

Mowerr

What are the best chains you have found work with your 355t? Not a big fan of the Oregon and stock chains so I was curious what you guys are using that's cutting better than their stock chains... The Oregon's are the same basically....

RBJtree

What are the best chains you have found work with your 355t? Not a big fan of the Oregon and stock chains so I was curious what you guys are using that's cutting better than their stock chains... The Oregon's are the same basically....
I used to have a 600p that I ran stihl chain on. I had to have the saw shop make me a custom length. Or you can buy the tools and make your own length, buy chain in spools.

Mowerr

I used to have a 600p that I ran stihl chain on. I had to have the saw shop make me a custom length. Or you can buy the tools and make your own length, buy chain in spools.
I've never found a stihl chain that would fit...not lengthwise but they wouldn't fit the sprocket right, or the bar tip, or they were too wide

RBJtree

What is the gauge and pitch you need? The smaller saws might not match up, my 600p took the standard 3/8's .050 chain.

ATH

Did a honey locust removal today. First big test of the saw.

Came through with flying colors! At some point I should have switched to a bigger saw but I wanted to see what it could do. Cutting through honey locust bar buried in 14-15" diameter wood and it just wanted more of it. I'm impressed. That doesn't speak for longevity - only time will tell, but as much power as I ever need from a top handle.

The 2 complaints:
*The ring to hang it seems very weak.
*I don't like pulling backwards to turn it off. The forward push on my old Husqvarna seems more intuitive. Probably will get used to it, but it is just a more intentional pull back rather than a reactive push forward.