Echo 355t

otismcfeely

I`m a new climber and I just bought one of the new echo climbing saws because the boss mans backup ms200 magically disappeared, so I needed my own saw.

They are great saws with plenty of torque when bared down on. Once all the mods and tuning are done it definitely contends to the power of the ms200. Absolutely a great alternative for half the price.

dttm

The 355t is a great saw IMO. I dont really use mine to much anymore now that I have a 2511t. After the muff mod and the limiter delete you will notice a difference in performance. Enjoy that saw. I do.

dsptech

It's a great saw.
Put a narrow kerf bar and chain on mine and the beast rips like no other.
A bit heavier than my MS-193T but more power.
The Stihl has a 12" micro chisel / narrow kerf bar and chain and a 14" on the Echo.
You can run a 16" bar on the echo with no issues.

otismcfeely

Boss used it today because his ms200 was dull, he said it ran great and had plenty of power.
I bought an echo 16" bar when I bought mine. Used the 14" to top out a small dead maple on our second job, it cut good despite being used on a few other trees already.

TimBr

@otismcfeely; Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here!

I have to say that it kind of chaps my ass that not only is your boss not providing you with the tools necessary to perform your job, but that after you go out and spend your hard-earned money on it, he ends up using it and putting wear on it. Maybe he's a really nice guy to work for, or something, and that makes up for it somehow.

He is, I think, supposed to be suppling you with required personal protective equipment at his expense, not yours, just in case you did not know that. Safety glasses, gloves, etc. I'd be interested in hearing from some of the forum members here that run their own small operations what PPE they do and do not provide to their employees, and what stuff they believe the law requires them to provide to their employees. Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond.

@southsoundtree?

Tim

ATH

@otismcfeely.... I'd be interested in hearing from some of the forum members here that run their own small operations what PPE they do and do not provide to their employees, and what stuff they believe the law requires them to provide to their employees. Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond.

@southsoundtree?

Tim
Agreed 100%

I offer everything. My helper brings his own safety glasses because he likes them better than what I have. I've offered to buy more like that to keep in the truck - he isn't sure where he got them. I've told him if he finds others he likes to buy them and I'll reimburse.

He used to bring his own gloves, even though I bought some in his size (he wears M, I wear XL...). When his own wore out, he started wearing what I had for him. I think he doesn't like "being a burden". I've told him, me supplying him equipment to do the job is not a burden for me...it is an expectation.

It is my understanding that any required PPE is the company's legal responsibility. Ears, eyes, head, chaps. Any other equipment is the company's logical responsibility. A true employee should be able to show up dressed (I provide company shirts too...) and not need anything else to do the job effectively and efficiently.

otismcfeely

@otismcfeely; Welcome to the TreeBuzz forum! I think you are going to like it here!

I have to say that it kind of chaps my ass that not only is your boss not providing you with the tools necessary to perform your job, but that after you go out and spend your hard-earned money on it, he ends up using it and putting wear on it. Maybe he's a really nice guy to work for, or something, and that makes up for it somehow.

He is, I think, supposed to be suppling you with required personal protective equipment at his expense, not yours, just in case you did not know that. Safety glasses, gloves, etc. I'd be interested in hearing from some of the forum members here that run their own small operations what PPE they do and do not provide to their employees, and what stuff they believe the law requires them to provide to their employees. Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to respond.

@southsoundtree?

Tim
Well, my boss is actually my landlord and the coolest next door neighbor ever. We're definitely buds you know. When we got on site that day he was about to start sharpening his climbing saw, which only takes 2 minutes for him and I insisted that he use my saw to see if my carb adjustments boosted the power in comparison to our previous job. Him and I do all the maintenance together on the saws, trucks, chipper and he pays me handsomely for a mere groundie, mechanic, climbing trainee; I guess I'm his right hand man.

I bought my own saw and spikes to show initiative and a desire to learn; I hate to borrow other peoples equipment so I definitely wanted to buy my own personal gear that I can practice with in my off time. My boss gave me an old harness that I really feel comfortable in and will let me borrow rope and friction savers to practice with whenever I want. It was a real bummer when his ms200 got stolen, that prompted me to get my own saw so I can do in tree work without resurrecting one of the old ms200s in the dead saw collection or hassling him with buying a running one after already taking such a hit.

TimBr

@otismcfeely; Thanks for taking the time to give this explanation. I feel much better now, not that that matters. You two have a developing relationship, and possibly a good partnership in the making.

Good luck with all that you do, and please put safety first. Two tie-ins when cutting any wood. I hope it all works out well for you.

Tim

I have no Echo's but a dealer called me and asked if I would demo a 2511T for a few days. He will be here Wednesday with a few of them for my guys to try. I am curious, any opinions on this saw?
Jeff