Dynamic rigging ropes

Discussion in 'Rigging and Roping' started by Windwalker, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

I currently use 1/2" sta set and 1/2" stable braid and two 3 strand for dirty work. Kinda thinking a more dynamic rope would be easier on equipment and me when the groundie pulls an extra wrap on the port a wrap and shouldn't have. I think for most situations when there is no lifting or pulling and just lowering limbs and tops a more dynamic rope would be a better choice. What are some good options for dynamic rigging lines in 1/2".

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
    TimBr likes this.
  2. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Windwalker; Here's a link to a page that shows multiple sizes of Yale Polydyne ropes. I own the 5/8" version. Read the info on that page to see what it says about energy absorption. I like this rope, but I've never tested it hard yet by dropping big chunks into it. I think it would handle it beautifully, though.

Tim

http://www.wesspur.com/rope/yale-polydyne-rope.html

colb likes this.
  3. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Windwalker; Ha! I just tried to look up Pine Grove, PA to get a general feel as to where you live, and Wikipedia lists nine different counties in PA with places that have that name. Really popular name! I think there are a few members on this forum from PA; it might be cool if you guys could get together sometime for a meet and greet.

Tim

4. Z'sTrees

Z'sTrees Well-Known Member

Dynasorb or equivalent in 9/16" is a nice jump in capacity without the bulk of a 5/8". Also check out the sterling atlas, haven't used it personally but it looks intriguing.

TimBr likes this.
  5. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

That looks like what I'm looking for, 4 times the stretch of stable braid. Thanks.

TimBr likes this.
  6. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Pine Grove, Schuylkill County

TimBr likes this.
  7. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Any of the hollow braid “bull” ropes will elongate more than Double Braids at lower loads. i.e. arborplex. True blue is about the most elongation in a 1/2” line that a production arborist would use. If you are looking for some bounce, you won’t go wrong with three strand. Of course you’ll get bounce’s best friend, twist as well.

As with most ropes the materials are not that”steretchy” its the braid or twist that alows elongation.

Tony

TimBr likes this.
  8. peder-d

peder-d Member

Great rope! Put it through some x rigging rings and a good bollard at the base. Doesn’t get any better than that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimBr likes this.
  9. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

1/2" Yale Ploydydne in hand. Testing wed. Doing one of those "favor" trees for a friend. He's a desk jockey, and he's running ropes. Not much at risk, just some arb's to try and not destroy. I'll run it through a Thundersling and take control once he makes the catch. This is exactly why I wanted a rope like this... It'll be a good low risk shakedown for the rope.

Thanks for the tip.

TimBr likes this.
  10. TimBr

TimBr Well-Known Member

@Windwalker; You are welcome. I'd love to be able to read what you think of it after you get a chance to use it.

Tim

11. colb

colb Well-Known Member

The Allgear husky bull rope is excellent and very stretchy as well. Some people note that it's not an arb-friendly company, but it's cheap and I ran a 9/16 line through a great life cycle before retiring it (cut twice and knotted once...). TreeStuff stopped selling it and started selling the Notch brand as a replacement knockoff to the allgear.

The Notch ropes (I have 1/2" and 9/16") are new and twisty but I cannot fully review them yet. TS let me know that they elongate just a tad less than the allgear husky lines, which are pretty bouncy (which I like).

The 9/16" husky faded from yellow to white. The Notch ropes look like they were spray-dyed on the outside after they were assembled. Their colors are light blue and light fusia, so I expect them to fade as well.

I do not espouse going my route with the cheaper non-big-three-brand rigging lines. It has worked fine for me. Chose for yourself.

TimBr likes this.
  12. TheTreeSpyder

TheTreeSpyder Well-Known Member

Mountain climbing type lines is what i used to use some.
    Also good for rigging some impact off of something that might not be able to take it with normal rope, giving more choices in light crown work.
    The more rope in a given support leg, before frictions; gives more elastic response in system.
    A pulley then can give that same weight 2 legs of support, so loaded less per leg; so less elastic response for system dampening; more hit on single support.

TimBr likes this.
  13. Alejandro Concolor

Alejandro Concolor Active Member

@Windwalker, why so sold on the 1/2”? I agree that a 9/16 is a nice jump in capacity without too much bulk.
    Remember that with the dynasorb lines the nylon core that gives the elasticity will start to lose strength after reaching max capacity a number of times. So if it’s getting shock loaded from too many wraps on the porta-wrap, your getting those high forces, especially in those 3’ or more falls when top-downing. So the 9/16 would give an extra cushion of capacity.
    But I do understand how the 1/2 plays well with others.

TimBr likes this.
  14. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

I just like working with 1/2" rope. I really try not to get into the big stuff, I'm a small outfit and if I cant get it out with 1/2" rope then its probably not a job for me. I had my 362 with a 28" bar up on the spar with me today chunking out a big 40" DBH maple. I'm getting too old for that. It was a favor job for a friend, otherwise I would have probably passed on it and let a bigger outfit with a bigger crew take care of it. They have to eat too. Only a few rigs on the new rope today, homeowner/groundie let em run all the way to the ground ;-) So there was no shock loading or testing of the dynamic rope today. We had a clear dropzone, it was just tight, so everything had to be brought back to the stem. All stem chunks could be dropped.

TimBr likes this.
  15. Alejandro Concolor

Alejandro Concolor Active Member

Understandable. Nice.

16. southsoundtree

southsoundtree Well-Known Member

Consider if you will need it NOW for a storm job that you can't order for and wait. Sometimes storm work and storm money is motivation.

Having the right gear before the storm hits makes money.

If you can simply walk away from storm work, and pick and choose, carry on.