DSRT(S) canopy anchors

SomethingWitty

I've been chewing on this concept for a week or so, but I really like the idea of multiple stationary lines hung from a single anchor point. You can ascend in all sorts of fun ways, take advantage of the benefits of DSRT (shy tree redundancy on the initial ascent) as well as just climb on a stationary system with an access line present from the beginning.
I threw together two today that are set by pulling a bight through the anchor, tying a butterfly, and cinching in the same fashion that a standard canopy anchor is set.

If I can dig out a large ring, I'll try the first one with a standard ring rather than a figure 8. I think that the 8 can serve this purpose admirably, and I like the retrieval clip in point.
It retrieves one natural redirect on each side with some pretty terrible angles as well as can be expected, considering that the lines tend to push towards the girthed butterfly and catch some friction. It is very gear-light and simple to set up. Clip a bight to the throwball and pop it over. Tie a knot and clip the retrieval and send it up.

The second system is a little more gear intensive, but it cinches and retrieves much more smoothly. Time will tell if it gets tangled or if I should be concerned about that quickie being disengaged, but I think it is good.
It is important to try to minimize twist between the lines with either setup to promote ease of retrieval, although it is much less important for the fig-8 one.

I think that a second ring can be substituted for the pinto and a quick link for the quickie to really cut down on the expense, or three quick links to make it entirely midline compatible.
You could set it from the canopy easily enough then, although the only reason I think I would worry about that is if I had a quick bowline cinch and wanted to advance it. The middle link is important. You cannot just use a quickie on the pinto because it binds fiercely.

That's just some rambling on, but I think that these have potential and want to hear thoughts or what other people are doing. The stationary board of the forum is kind of stagnant. Lets throw some ideas out there.

Attachments

Stephen Moore

If you want to go to multiple TIPs then you may wish to employ a rigging plate? Myself, I'm not a huge fan of too many ropes in my work area, they get tangled together and get wrapped up in branches, they can present a hazard too! For instance if a large piece were to snag on a rope it could break out your TIP? Just some thoughts..

SomethingWitty

When he was rambling about throw weights I was really unsure that it was worth watching. You were right. It really was.

@Stephen Moore
I don't know of an efficient way to rock two primary lines on a large removal. I do know that in a broad prune they are wonderful. I just want to have some options that don't require a base tie or multiple anchor points. It is so hard to find even ONE ideal tie in often enough.

KevinS

I used to install a line through a high TIP then basal tie it for an anchor at the TIP I’d fisherman a biner and clip on a rigging plate(a climbing one) then a biner on day the left would be for my ddrt line and on the right side a biner for a doubled line tied together at the bottom.

We’d double line foot lock while still tied to ddrt so no Prusik or assenders required and it was smooth. Groundie would belay the ddrt and our ups and downs were smooth.

Now I’m pushing myself to do more srt but either way it’s pretty equal for speed and ease. IMO.

KevinS

Does anyone find benefits of srt ascent with a climbing line snugged up to a secret weapon then climb off ddrt from the TIP placed at any height TIP wanted. Varied at any point. Or does that just add an unnecessary step for no reason?

SomethingWitty

Does anyone find benefits of srt ascent with a climbing line snugged up to a secret weapon then climb off ddrt from the TIP placed at any height TIP wanted. Varied at any point. Or does that just add an unnecessary step for no reason?
It's all about what you are comfortable working with. Most guys seem to really get attached to SRT for positioning once they make the switch, but in a lot of trees the efficiency doesn't suffer from how your rope is set. Sometimes I could really use the retrievable anchor aspect of ddrt, but usually I opt for redirects and easy vertical movement.
I also like steps and rarely do any serious climbing without running to my tie in first and setting it just how I want it for strength, security, height, retrievability, or whatever combination of those is important to focus on in that particular climb.

SoftBankHawks

Here is a strange one from a few years back, used it a couple of times when I was into cinching rings. The Blue Rope is the main system and the Orange (Platinum) kinda piggybacks onto it and allows canopy retrieve once the bight has been slipped by a groundsman.
Around the same time as this I got into TRT and came up with a remote way to pull a second line to the climber while in the canopy. And the amazing thing was that once that second line became redundant it could be pulled back to the anchor, so no kerfluffing about retrieving a draped second line. I'll have to shoot a little video.
weird anchor.jpg

Last edited: