Double thimble ultrasling! the best thing ever?

Discussion in 'The Splice Rack' started by Daveyface, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Daveyface

Daveyface New Member

it seems to me that one of the best possible configurations for x rings or ABR thimbles would be a double thimble ultrasling, is this possible? and if so how do i make one? i can splice tenex no problem, just want to be sure im doing it right to get the strength from the rope. if anyone has links to videos or any kind of instructions to make one or even a double whoopie please help me out!

TimBr and NE Tree like this.
  2. therianclimber

therianclimber Well-Known Member

I actually just finished up a double ring sling. I would have made an ultrasling but I didn't have enough length so it ended up being a dead eye.

Very easy to do, I will do my best to explain. I am also just an amateur splicer so take it for what it's worth.

Find the center of the rope. Place a ring roughly 6" from each side of the center line. You will insert the tail at the base of the ring and exit at the center line. Pull slack through to capture the ring. Repeat for the other side. The you simply repeat a series of locked brummels down the rope with the desired size pockets in between. Finish the tail with a back splice or end to end.

20171129_212333.jpg

Daveyface and deevo like this.
  3. colb

colb Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Buzz, @Daveyface , and great first post! There has been some theoretical speculation about the effect of loading the brummel splice repeatedly at the same place in the ultra configuration. I have not heard of a failure in real life.

One of the drawbacks to using the ultra configuration is that it needs to be removed from the rigging line prior to resetting it for the next chunk, during negative blocking. A dead eye can remain on the line.

Other related bits of info:

One can turf up a Fiori ring these days, in case you prefer a single ring config.

Any reason to use rings over an aerial friction device like the safebloc or Notch triple thimble?

4. Daveyface

Daveyface New Member

i was gonna buy the triple thimble but treestuff had the #3 ABR rings on sale for $25 each during black friday sales. im just looking for something i can use in most rigging situations to replace the heavy block and not have to repeatedly tie and untie knots like with a deadeye. ill most likely use the rings as redirects if i cant figure out how to make the sling the way i want.

colb likes this.
  5. Daveyface

Daveyface New Member

that is just about how i imagined making it, i was thinking of doing brummels then the short bury on each leg where the rings are then doing the ultrasling as usual. thanks!

6. colb

colb Well-Known Member

I'm a 4-year-career climber, self-trained with much help from the Buzz forum. Point being, I'm a work in progress at a couple levels, lol.

Until recently, I was reticent to use a dead eye sling because timber hitches etc. are not a closed system and I didn't want to drop a log on a house for not tying it correctly. Ended up having a medium-level problem with my tenex loopie sling/isc block combo catching a log at the bury after sliding 5-7 feet, so I looked around for something else. My bury was dressed out, so it wasn't a simple error. (Since then, I've learned that, in addition to dressing the bury, running the girth hitch across the bury supposedly addresses my slippage issue, but I'm still a little sketched out!)

I bought an ultra sling to address that problem, but - between the heavy steel block and the aforementioned need to extensively disassemble/reassemble the system, I slowed way down when negative blocking large wood. That was a big buzz kill when it was the end of the day in spikes. On the plus side, I learned several ways to drop way more trunk wood without rigging because I was motivated not to rig.

I ended up buying a safebloc on a 16 ft. dead eye. Haven't used it on big wood yet, but the thought doesn't concern me like the thought of using the ultra sling/steel block combo.

I understand that, compared to my case, having the lighter rings replacing the steel block would solve more of the problem than the ultra sling/dead eye configuration difference, but I think it's pretty cool to be able to set up your next cut the moment your rigging line is unweighted, without having to wait for the rigging line to come out of the basal friction device and the end sent back up. Those moments are much better for me if there's something to focus on other than my buckinghams digging into my shins.

Having a safebloc already, if I had two #3 thimbles I would buy a #2 to make a rig and ring sling, and make a tenex eye and eye sling with the thimble in one eye for canopy rigging. I'm not trying to dissuade you from making the double ring ultra sling - I wanted to get one for a while and never did. Those slings are definitely cool. I just feel like there is no pure place for it in my kit. I don't need two rings for redirects and the smaller forces of canopy rigging. I don't want to use it for negative blocking because it adds four extra steps as compared to a dead eye, and it doesn't provide nearly as much aerial friction as a safebloc/tribloc. I don't want to use it for winching because a block pulley has less friction. I can't think of a case where a double ring is superior to an alternative.

NorCalBrock likes this.